GSXR1000 up for bids on Ebay - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2000, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation

In case anyone cares....2001 model GSXR-1000 up for bids.......(starting at $10,200.)
Lots of good factory(?) pictures. It's being sold by a dealer.

Jim

------------------
"Adults are just kids who owe money."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2000, 02:53 PM

Damn dealers; this is just another price gouging tactic. When the 929's and RC51's were about to come out, a local dealer here in San Antonio was taking deposits. $1,000 minimum deposit, else they wouldn't even talk to you. They also had you sign the deal UP FRONT. They were charging about 15-20% over MSRP. Whether you got the 15 or the 20% gouging depended on "who you were" or "who you new". BS, if you ask me.

After the new Gixxer is on the streets for about 3-4 months, it'll just be another bike as far as the dealer is concerned.

Don't get me wrong though; if I didn't owe so much on the Kat, the dealer would have my $$$ right now. I like dreamin'......

------------------
Cosmo
"You have some options to choose from: You can lead, you can follow, or you can get out of the way!"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2000, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Cosmo:

The main reason for the price surcharges are what I'll call "F.O.B." syndrome.(First On Block) Someone will always want to be the first one to have that new "toy" and the dealers know it,and know they can get away with their "little" extra fees.
I got a great deal on mine when I bought it after the next year models hit the show-room floors.(Little do they know it was the one I wanted not the new model!!!)

JIM

------------------
"Adults are just kids who owe money."

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 01:34 AM

Hi Jim,

Yes, I know that you're right. I was venting. I get kinda pissed off whenever I go into any of the dealerships here in San Antonio; their collective attitude sucks big-time. You can easily ride 10 months out of the year, here in SA. A lot of hardcore folks ride the year 'round. Remember, "cold" is relative. I grew up in NY, where "cold" means 15 degrees. Here in SA "cold" is 50 degrees. Anyway, being that you can ride year 'round here, the dealers never really have a "dead" season when they can't bend you over as far as price is concerned. They always have a bad attitude.
9 times out of 10, if you are trying to purchase a current year sportbike, not a leftover, they won't budge from the MSRP, no matter what. When I bought the Kat, it was actually a two-year old leftover and they wanted it gone. I got a decent deal, and got them to throw in about $180 worth of accessories for free. When I purchase my next bike, I'm going to have at least half the money in cash, this way I have some bargaining power. Leftovers is the way to go here in SA. The biggest dealer here in SA isn't even taking any more deposits on the new Gixxer. I talked w/the salesman that sold me my bike. (He's still pleasant to me even two years later...surprising....) He said that they are already "over promised". There's gonna be a few pissed off folks when they find out that their deposit was for naught. I'll continue to scoot around on the Kat for now. Honestly, I haven't outgrown it's speed potential yet. What I have outgrown is it's cornering ability. I know I'm no Nicky Hayden, but the Kat drags stuff too easily, and I can feel that I run out of tire sometimes before i run out of clearance. Can't do much w/that 150 rear!

------------------
Cosmo
"You have some options to choose from: You can lead, you can follow, or you can get out of the way!"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Cosmo:
Yeah ,I hear ya about the dealers in your area and how the weather effects sales there. You are right 'cause our weather turns grey and damp roughly from Oct. to May-June,with rare sunny days in between.So I suppose dealers here would be more inclined in the off season,here,to dicker.
When I got my Kat,I was working 2 dealers and the one that got my $$$ was $500.00 less,plus he threw in the center stand! I still show up there and talk to him about motorcyles...great dealer/dealership:"SteveBaker-Suzuki/Kawasaki".The name may ring a bell ,he raced 500 GP along with Kenny Roberts senior and the likes.
Like u I still love my Kat.Great for long trips or just ripping around on,altho I do look at the new models each year & go:"Hmmm..."
I'm thinking of a pipe/jet kit now.I went to Metzlers front and rear and the handling is soooo much better than the stock Dunlops!!
I put a 150/70-17 on the rear.So I hope the pipe etc. give her a little more go power!!!
Have a good'un!!!

JIM

------------------
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left!!

[This message has been edited by katana600 (edited October 11, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by katana600 (edited October 11, 2000).]
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 10:09 AM

Oh yeah, my favorite brag about our bike! You absolutely must lost the stock exhaust system. You have the 4-2, right? Well guess what? Just by losing going w/a Yoshimura Zyclone full system, I lost 26 pounds! Weighed the bike before and after w/a full tank of gas. That's a lot of weight for any bike, but on a tank like the Kat, it means a lot. The bike flicks much easier now. If you pipe, you must jet. The only thing I changed (per the instructions) was the needles and the float level. Bike diff in the upper midrange and upper rpm's. Can hang with most literbikes in the corners, but get dusted on the straights. Bike will do an indicated 140, but takes a while to get there, as opposed to say, an R1 which goes from 0-140 in the time it takes to say 0-140.

But, being that your bike is a '92, I'm assuming it's paid for. My bike isn't. If it was, there'd probably be a 00'Gixxer in my spot right now! Cheers/!

------------------
Cosmo
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Cosmo:
Ya read my mind! I am in the process of pricing/getting a pipe and K&N Stage 1. It looks like I will probably go w/a Zyclone,but,I'm still checking.Do I lose the centerstand with the change??Should I lose the center stand???How about your access to oil plug and filter??Yup...she's paid for!!(WHEW!!! ) BTW at 11,000 last weekend I hit 130mph before I had to shut her down!!!(FUN!! )
I have to do the pipe etc.on a budget tho'....

Thanks for your input!!!

Jim

------------------
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 02:32 AM

Hey bud, 'wuz happenin'?

When I got my full system, I knew next to nothing about brands. The sole reason that I went w/Yosh and the Zyclone system is that they were the only company that made a system that retains access to the filter and drain plug. You will have to cut your "chin fairing" a little to clear the pipe. it actually looks kinda cool seeing the "bulge" of the pipe where the 4 tubes converge into 1 sticking out a little bit. The oil filter will be a bit harder to get a hand on (you will not be able to fit a filter wrench of any kind between the header pipes and the filter. There's just enough room for your hand. But, you will be able to change your oil/filter without removing anything. I almost bought a V&H SS2, but I would've had to remove the headers every time I wanted to change the oil filter. No way, man! The Yosh sounds awesome. I haven't had the bike dynoed (can't afford it ) But the tech guy at Factory (Stage I jet kit) says I probably gained 5-7 horses. Not a lot, but remember I also lost 26 pounds by junking the stock boat anchor of an exhaust system... So a lot less weight and a little more horses. That's a good thing!
With the right tools, you can do the whole pipe/muffler/jet kit thing in a day. I took my sweet time because I was scared to death that I'd never get the bike started again. The hardest part, believe it or not, it getting the throttle cable reattached to the carb linkage. There is a trick that I had to go beg the mechs at a local dealership to tell me. You have to kind of hold the carb assemble "upside down/sideways" as you reattach the cable. That took almost as long as putting the pipe on! Not counting the 4 hours trying to put the cable back, I did the whole thing, including putting the fairings back on in about 8 hours. If I had to do it again, it would be 4 hours. Easy stuff. The hardest thing about working on our bike is the fact that just to get at the engine you have to remove the lights, blinkers, screen, fairings AND the freakin' gas tank. After that first 45 minutes of doing that, it's cake! Good luck.

------------------
Cosmo
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 02:33 AM

Oh yeah, you keep the centerstand as well! Go for it!

------------------
Cosmo
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Cosmo:

Glad to hear I will be able to keep the ability to get at the plug and filter I have one of those filter wrenches that fit over the end of the filter like a cap ,so I probably can get it in there then attach the wrench extention for tightening and breaking the filter loose.
I think I would like to leave the center stand on too.
My dealer is helping me look for deals,he's a good guy!!
I'll let them put the pipe and jet kit on tho',(I have the K&N filter already at the dealer),I can't really afford to let him do it,but,I know my luck,(ya know Murphy's Law!)
Anyways..stay tuned for further adventures

JIM

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode