2000 GSXR 750 IS GOING TO LOSE ITS TRANNY!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

To all 2000 750 owners,

The first and second gear on 4 out of twelve bikes in alaska have failed and one owner this has happened to twice now!!!
Our dealer will not warranty this problem saying that it is the riders fault,not the bikes. Oil is not reaching first and second gear while they are engaged causing the shift forks and shaft to bend.We are going to talk with people higher up the corporate ladder to see what can be done. Anyone with the same problems ,please post on this board and check your bike and others for it.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 08:47 PM
Just Passin' Through...

Exclamation

I find this very interesting.

A few months ago, before they even started hitting the showrooms, the Pridmore Star School was in Phoenix, and they had 3 brand new GSXR's with them.

During the course of the day, Richie Alexander was doing some hot laps on one of them, while the entire class was watching from trackside. Suddenly, Richie slowed and coasted into the pits...

Sure enough, he had lost second gear! He had only done a few laps on the bike. I got a funny feeling at the time about that incident, and maybe there was something to it!

I only know of one guy in town with a GSXR, and there's one being raced in CCS Southwest. So far, no problems with those two, but I'll keep you posted...

------------------
Life is hard.
It's even harder when you're stupid.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 01:38 AM
Pete

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gsxrjason:

Our dealer will not warranty this problem saying that it is the riders fault,not the bikes.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On first impulse, this guy should get a swift steel-toe boot right to the gonads.

Good luck with your bike, and thanks for posting about it.

------------------
Pete
"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 04:43 AM

The tranny is not the only problem with the new Gixxers!! Go to this site to find out more!
http://www.sportbikeusa.com/Articles/recalls.html

I was thinking about getting a new 750 gixxer if Kawasaki doesnt get their butts in gear, But at least the ninja is dependable!

------------------
95% of Harley Davidsons are still on the road today,
5% actually made it home!

Bryon Hart
Ocala, Fl
95 ZX-7
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 04:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
no problems here.

call american suzuki. they are good people there.

let the rep steel toes their nads.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 09:26 AM

Thumbs down

In my experience, Suzuki trannies have had this problem for years! I had a '94 Katana (my first sportbike and a P.O.S. to boot) that blew 2nd gear after 4000 miles. I had purchased the extended "bumper to bumper" warranty with it so I wasn't worried until the dealer told me Suzuki wouldn't cover it, citing "rider error." I talked to the corporate guys in conference with the dealership's shop manager and they said, "Don't worry we'll take care of it." Six months later, Suzuki partially came through with the warranty service, but then the shop did some "recommended" work on the bike in order to get it running after sitting for six months full of gas and assorted fluids, which had gone bad and fouled up everything. I got stuck with a $150 service bill. I was so exasperrated that I didn't argue. I just paid it and immediately drove it to the local Honda dealer where I traded it in on my SuperHawk that very same day. Interestingly, it popped out of gear twice on the way over to the Honda shop! I got only $1500 on the trade, but I was so glad to be rid of that pile of crap. In the two years I owned it, the carbs crapped out twice, the electrical system ate itself and then the tranny went. I found out later that I was not the only one with Suzukitis. I have talked to numerous people with all sorts of Suzuki bikes, atv's, etc. and they have similar horror stories. Obviously, the legacy continues...

------------------
C'mon guys! It's all ball bearings these days!...STC
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 01:26 PM

My brother in law recently sold his '91 Katana 600 for $2700. It had 26,000 miles on it and the only problems he'd had were cosmetic.

------------------
I wouldn't be so paranoid if you all weren't out to get me.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 02:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
Not that this is directly related to the subject at hand but...

The higher "we" push the power-to-weight ratio, the lower "we" push the reliability-to-cost ratio.

This is not a slam on the manufacturers since these high performance machines are still pretty darn reliable considering.

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 11:44 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
interesting info here
http://jeff718.gixxer.com/

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 10:06 AM

I just read this in Roadracing World.

"Reports of noisy cam chains in 2000 Suzuki GSXR750 have been surfacing. Apparently some bikes have the noise and some don't. The cam chain tensioner on the GSXR is self-adjusting, and there are reports that the cam chain rattles when the adjuster is in between its adjustment notches. American Suzuki spokesman Mark Reese said he hadn't heard of any problems of that nature".

------------------
Ride Fast - Take Chances
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode