Katana 600? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2000, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Question

I just saw a ad in a local paper for a 97 600 katana never been dropped with xtras for 3800$. Now my question is are they good bikes and if so why is he sellin so low? I've maily been lookin at honda cbr 600's which for that year i cant find below 6g's. I hope to be purchasing my first bike within the next few months and wondering if such a deal was good. IS the bike reliable and usually problem free? AS for what model i get for my first bike i really dont care but id rather mid to upper 90's and to be assured its not some p.o.s. that will break down on me alot.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2000, 05:49 AM
that one guy

i think they are excellent bikes.. the reason the price is so low is that they are not popular. the last time the raced was in the 80's (maybe early 90's) & they use bias ply tires. they are not popular w/the squid crowd & they are not the fastest thing around.. i think they are some of the most stable bikes out there... probably due to the weight & steel frame.. i wrecked mine.. it flipped a lot.. smashed into the ground & barely bent the subframe (as far as structural damage). they just are not desirable.. but in the hands of a good rider they have the potential to spank other bikes.. plus they can use early gsxr engine mods (carbs, heads, cams, exhaust).. cause its the same engine block. u can really make a sleeper out of 1. mine was 1 tooth lower in the front & i was waxing friends on older gsxr 750 & zx7r by like 5 min over a 30mile canyon run.. better rider will beat a better bike. but could not hang in the straights.

------------------
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2000, 09:10 AM

I rode my 2000 Katana with a guy who had a 93 1100 katana and was right there with him in the twisties, but he walked off in the straight-aways. I LOVE mine and I am silently learning to master this bad boy, then I'll advance to a liter bike and really spank some butt!

They sport low re-sale because of the bad rep the gixxer boys and R1 riders tend to label them with. They are by no means a squids bike. i.e. no wheelies, burnouts, stoplight to stoplight pavment blistering action, but dependable everyday riders that will stick to you.

Great 1st, 2nd, or like me a 3rd bike on the learning tree. Helps you decide whats next thats for sure!!

------------------
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. "
http://troybaker.com/600

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2000, 10:28 AM
that one guy

dont count it out as a squid bike.. ive posted my 1st experiance w/that bike in stock trim around the forum as to the stupid stuff i did on it. (lots of stuff so im not going to repost it). but it does do good wheelies (almost flipped it a couple of times). i got it to stoppie (pretty small though). it just takes a little more practice & finesse to get it to do these things.. as a matter of fact it wheelied easier than my gsxr600.

------------------
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2000, 01:02 AM

Wink

hmmmmmmmm thats kinda weird, guess I been doing it wrong. I have to clutch the hell out of my Katana to get the wheel off the ground an inch and on the 929 I rode I just gassed it a bit in 2nd and was looking at the stars (quite by accident I might add)

www.troybaker.com/600/

------------------
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. "
http://troybaker.com/600
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2000, 02:09 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
r1 and gsxr guys give katana's a bad name? i thought it was those damn ninjas that did that.

a katana has half the horses and a bunch of extra weight over the 929, that's the wheelie difference. but they can be wheelied quited well with the right rider. just don't wheelie your kat and try to same technique on an r1.

is 3800 a fair price--yes, but if you can go 4500 or so, look for a newer sv650.

dependable--pretty much so

good bike--yes

good first bike--better than an f3, but far from ideal for your first.

my .02 is out there

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2000, 01:08 PM

What's this I hear????? A fat kat can do a wheelie? Must take lots of clutching, what's the secret - I have got to Know....

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
38 speeding tickets and still counting
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2000, 08:07 PM
that one guy

actually on the wheelies on my kat 600...

after i dropped 1 front tooth i could clutch it up anytime. several times purely on accident w/a clutchless downshift (3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st) it came up on the gas. i dunno how or why.. but it was a totally different feeling.. it pulled up smooth & "strong" not abrupt or fast or un-predictable. oh yea.. i also had a yosh header w/no muffler

i dont recomend it though.. i lost 2nd gear & i blew the motor (i think that was from to much oil though).

------------------
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2000, 12:49 PM

Ohhhhh,

The ol' gear change and exhaust pipe conversion. That explains it.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
38 speeding tickets and still counting
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 05:51 AM

Red face

*FEAR*

How much oil was too much oil to blow your motor?

I just drained some excess out of mine and it sitll is right over the Full line.

------------------
Had:86 Ninja,83 CBC250,
78 CB750 & a moped!
Have:99 Kat
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode