Distance riding - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Anyone done any seirous distance riding, say like average 600 miles a day with 3 good breaks in between, on a newer GSX-R600? How was it on your body, beside maybe tiring?

The reasong I am asking I am looking at one, the 2000 Alstare edition of the 600. This will be my FIRST sportbike to ride around whenver I want but with possible plans for a 3 week trip from Canada to Houston, 6 days there with stops in Yellowstone, 2 nights in Vegas, El Paso, and San Antonio before I hit Houston. Stay for a week then heading home in 5 days stopping wherever.

------------------
Real Rebels Ride Rice Burners
-so take that, you cellular totin', cruiser riding wannabe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

BTW, I am a 25 year old male, 5' 11" approx and 160 lbs. so you have some idea what size I am comparable to you.

------------------
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 01:33 PM

Leslie,
I have never gone as far as 600 miles per day. About 230 is the most I have gone so far. Anyway, my body didn't really get tired or anything - I was much more awake than had I driven the same distance in a car. My problem was that after an hour or so, my knees began to throb in time to my ass. Since then, I've purchased a gel seat which helps tremendously, but for the knees...I just straighten out my legs every once in a while. BTW, I'm 27, 5'11" and 150 lbs.

------------------
I wouldn't be so paranoid if you all weren't out to get me.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 03:43 PM

Leslie,
You are almost ready to make the trip? Bring water to drink (Camelback)and comfortable clothes to wear. I like to wear loose fitting pants so that I can wear a pair of Mountain Bike shorts on underneath. They help with the extra padding. This worked on my 900 mile a day, 15 hour trip on the Katana 600.

Good luck

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
39 speeding tickets and now I have a V1.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Its still very close to the top of my wish list...so far its looking like June of 2001 that I want to do it. I havent forgot that I am supposed to hook up with you, Todd. The plans have been nailed down with the fact I will be doing the trip as said then heading north from Houston. Definitely stopping in San Antonio, so I can hit the Guadalupe river for more rafting, so I will let you know whats the plan when I get it all nailed down.
Moving along slowly, I got the bike license three weeks ago now looking at the bikes, was lookng at Katana but just doesnt hit me like the GSX-R does! Time will tell as my Barracuda has to be sold first.

------------------
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2000, 04:14 AM

Thumbs up

My last bike was a '97 gsxr-600 and I thought it was a pretty comfortable bike. My suggestion is that when you plan your trips, don't look for the fastest way there (highway). If you get off the beaten path and hit some twisties, you can ride until you run out of gas. I was comfortable enough on the bike to ride through a tank of gas and take a break. A BIG help that I found is to wear ear plugs. That makes the noise from the wind a lot more bearable. I am 26, 5'10, and 155 lbs.

------------------
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2000, 10:57 AM

Leslie,

Definitely take the twistie way. I could have done my 3000 mile trip in less miles but, I really had a great time doing the off the beaten path route.

The invitation is still here for you to stay at my house when you get to S.A., TX.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
39 speeding tickets and now I have a V1.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2000, 01:33 PM
Resident Smartass

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sean:
My last bike was a '97 gsxr-600 and I thought it was a pretty comfortable bike. My suggestion is that when you plan your trips, don't look for the fastest way there (highway). If you get off the beaten path and hit some twisties, you can ride until you run out of gas. I was comfortable enough on the bike to ride through a tank of gas and take a break. A BIG help that I found is to wear ear plugs. That makes the noise from the wind a lot more bearable. I am 26, 5'10, and 155 lbs.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't agree more. My AVERAGE day ride is 350+ miles, and because it's 90% twisty I'm not usually too beat. But 100 miles of interstate will make me very unhappy. Everybody's threshold of pain is different too- I rode with a guy recently who wussed out about 150 miles into a planned 300+ ride, he acted as if he were near death. We are the same age and build, and my VTR is not much more comfy than his Mille. What a Beeeeaaatcchhhh!

------------------
'98 Superhawk
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2000, 04:25 PM
Old Guy

Talking

You'll definitely have fun! I used to tour 600+ mile days on my '86 600R Ninja (all stock), sometime solo, sometimes 2-up, sometimes also with camping gear. Put 58K miles in 13 years.
My current ride has 13k miles in 18 months. I still put in 600+ days on trips with the bike perfectly stock. I would suggest good thick boots, gloves, earplugs. Have a versatile jacket with bib pants for really cool days.
Stay off interstates (ESPECIALLY Nebraska ans Kansas). Stay on curvy blue roads and eat at non-chain restaurants (the quirkier the better). Don't get dehydrated (usually around 5 pm on really hot days I'm questioning my sanity).
Enjoy the folks who open up to you..they always do when you are by yourself on a nice, non-threatening machine.

------------------
-Yeeee-haaaaa!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode