1989 Katana 600 a good first bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2000, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

My buddy has an '89 Katana 600 with 35k miles that has been dropped a couple times. I'm thinking this will make a good first bike. He just replaced the fork seals, and is about to put a new clutch in it. He's gonna sell it at the end of the summer, and if I ant it, I can probably get it for about $900-$1000. Is this a decent deal? Plus, what should I look for, what are the problem areas? Will this bike be a good first bike, or should I pass?

Thanks a lot guys/gals,

------------------
Matt Blansett
Hoping to get a bike soon..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2000, 02:47 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
matt,

the price seems fair depending on how bad the damage is.

see https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forum/...ML/000081.html for more details.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2000, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

So do you think this bike will be good as a first bike for me? I haven't ever ridden before. I wanted to take the MSF course about a month agao, but all I got was a bunch of runaround. I then posted here about taking the course, but being scared of not passing, and somepeople said to get a bike and learn a little before taking the class. So, should I buy this bike, ride it around a little, then take the class? This bike isn't too powerful for me is it? I'm just wondering what I should do. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot,

Matt Blansett

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 01:18 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
matt, take the course first, it's okay to fail there. i rather wreck their bike than yours.

it shouldn't be a bad first bike, but i'd find someone to look it over. there are better first bikes, but no one wants them.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2000, 02:20 AM

Thumbs up

Matt: Like cbrf2boy said,it depends on the condition,but that seems a good buy.You might consider getting the Kat,put itaside,get a smaller bike to start learning on then move up to the Kat.Take your time,don't exceed your skill or comfort level and look into the MSF course again.

------------------
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 08:14 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to stevie_boy
Smile

I found the GSX6F a perfect first bike.

I'm only 5'6" but found it to be easily moveable, not too intimidating and plenty fast enough to scare myself into being careful!

The weight can be a bit of a handful, but, hey, the way I look at is that even super fast toures like Hyabusas & Blackbirds are lighter, so I should be able to ride them even better!!!!

Basically, though....get a feel for it and if the glove dont fit, dont force it..move along and try another!

Stevie-Boy.

Neeeeeeaaaaooooooo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
got race pipes)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 05:40 PM

"Weighty subject"

Quote:
Originally posted by stevie_boy
I found the GSX6F a perfect first bike.

I'm only 5'6" but found it to be easily moveable, not too intimidating and plenty fast enough to scare myself into being careful!

The weight can be a bit of a handful, but, hey, the way I look at is that even super fast toures like Hyabusas & Blackbirds are lighter, so I should be able to ride them even better!!!!

Basically, though....get a feel for it and if the glove dont fit, dont force it..move along and try another!
Matt:

In regard to the weights of the bikes(dry weights per the March 2001 issue of Motorcyclist).
1. Katana600:460 lbs
2. Hayabusa: 473lbs
3. Honda CBR1100XX: 492lbs
4. 1992 Katana600: 436lbs

Up to 1997 the Katana600 should be around the above
weight of the 1992.

Jim

You don't stop riding because you get old;You get old because you stop riding!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 01:45 PM

hey mattb

Mattb
katana would be nice. i rember my 1st sport bike 86 honda hurrypane 600 . my advice is whatever you buy get it checked out. you dont wanna buy a bike that will cause you more frustration especially when you are starting out for the 1st time. just like everyone said above. i would even suggest that you make friends at local bike shop and see if someone can check it out for you. i mean 1000 bucks sounds great but if you have to replace clutch, chain, sprockets, etc. its like 2500 now.
and take the rider training course its worth it.. i recently took it just to get a refresher.( I have been riding since 17yrs old and im dirty30 now) and it actually helped.

kpurskin
(keep your skin, use a dead cow)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode