SV 650 TPS adjustment - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
jrm

SV 650 TPS adjustment

If anyone rides an 03+ SV and you suffer from abrupt throttle response at low rpms, I would suggest you search here or go to svrider.org and look for the how-to.

By readjusting the point at which the FI starts pumping in earnest, the sub 4000rpm jerkiness my bike has suffered with for a year is gone.

FYI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 04:52 PM

Good info...jrm..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 07:22 PM

how did you measure the difference, with carbs sync?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
jrm

It is not a "power" modification as much as a usability adjustment. The only measurable difference was that the throttle was smooth and progressive acting (like most bikes) and not so much like an on/off switch.

If you are asking how I measured as to where to adjust the TPS to, that is well covered in a how-to on svrider.org

Simply, you lift tank, plug in a "special dealer tool" (paperclip) into a connector and the digital dash turns to the onboard diagnostic tool. In this mode there is a line that stays steady until the FI kicks into it's acceleration state. When I checked mine, before adjustment, the line moved at ~3200 rpm. Instructions say to adjust down to about 1450 rpm, so it does not run so lean and jerky. Totally solved the problem I was having.

Bike also had a bad backfiring problem under decel that I had been thinking was exhaust leak (had been a problem) or that it was running too lean. Guess it was.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 06:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to mainerdr
z are you trying to sync carb's?
I think they are talking about EFI bikes. TPS info.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 07:17 AM

no just wanted to know how they adjusted the FI. someone told me that you can adjust the throttle bodies for FI same way with carbs synchronizer.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
jrm

Yes, you still need to synchronize the airflow of both throttle bodies occasionally. This Throttle Position Sensor adjustment would be equal to an improperly tapered main jet needle--It wouldn't let enough gas in early enough. Essentially, you can readjust the point at where the main FI map kicks in.

My bike was adjusted at the 3krpm+ that is typical of many who try the adjustment. I adjusted TPS so that response started down around 1500 rpm= just off idle.

It is simple and easily reversible if you don't like the results, although you'd be the only one I've heard of not liking it.

Another parallel could be drawn to carbs this way--adjusting the TPS is like adjusting the idle mixture screws a bit richer. Coming off idle, they play some role in overall fuel mixture at lower throttle openings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode