Need Tech Help (long) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Angry Need Tech Help (long)

I bought a brand new 2003 GSXR 750 from my local dealer about 8 weeks ago and am having problem after problem. This bike was leftover stock and had zero kilometers on the odometer. Unfortunately I bought the bike and have had problems ever since. I need help!!! The dealer that I bought this bike from is no longer a dealer for the Suzuki product. (Item #1) The first problem that I am having with this brand new bike is that it will not start when cold (garage parked), I have to hit the starter button at least 4 times. And then when it does start it barely wants to run, idling at about 600 rpms. I have a buddy with a brand new SV650S and when he starts his bike it fires up on the first try and the rpms jump to about 2000 and then slows down by itself to idle. (Item #2) When the engine is hot I have to hold the starter button for at least 3 seconds continuously or once again it will not start. Once it does start it runs as if it has a race cam in it, the engine cannot hold an even rpm going up and down (small increments) kind of loping. This uneven idle does go away after 5-10 minutes of riding. What do I do, my dealer said that I have a fuel problem and that I need to drive it the way it is till I hit 3000km.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 08:37 PM
jrm

Talk to service manager or store manager and say something like "I'd prefer to have a GOOD experience here and refer some of my friends this way to buy their bikes. This bike needs a little TLC, can you please help me out?". See where that goes. If it goes nowhere you could...

--See if there is some Better Business Bureau sort of arbitration in your area or a consumer rights organization. The BBB is, IMHO, a fence for businesses to hide behind while they screw customers, BUT it may be different in the land where bikes have zero KM on the odometers when new. Canada?

--Take bike to another dealer and have them tune it up. Nothing exorbitant, but just take care of the problems. You will pay for it, but then you have a bill to present to original dealer showing a third party DID find something to correct. While they may not pay you back directly, you could ask for store credit toward parts or gear (stuff they can't screw up). You'd have to pay, but you'd also have a bike that runs right.

--Talk to service worker at dealer and ask if you could slip him some cash to get the bike tuned, by him, after hours. Sure you shouldn't have to, but would it be worth $25 to have it fixed? If it took the guy an hour to make some adjustments, he'd get paid pretty well for his time.

--If you have bike financed through Suzuki, you may have some options there as far as calling their customer service. "I can't make payments on something that doesn't start, can I?".

Do your best to exhaust your civil, polite, reasonable-person options first. The last thing you want is someone in a hurry or mad at you working on your bike.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 05:22 PM

I would follow jrm's advice, if that doesn't get any results, you can contact Suzuki for some possible help, as I've had 3 gixxers, and None of them had those problems, in fact, of all the gixxer owners I know of...none of them had your problems...

Could just be a bad fuel sensor, or the throttle bodies might need to be sync'd...??????

Good luck...and let us know what happens..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode