Questions for the Suzuki experts - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Questions for the Suzuki experts

I'm looking for a decent used sportbike, and I think I may have found a good deal. Any opinions/comments would help.

It's a bright freakin' yellow 1999 Suzuki GSXR 600 SRAD. It's got a Yoshimura pipe (not sure if it's slip-on or complete) and K&N air filter. I forgot to ask if it had been jetted properly (or had the proper fuel mapping if it's FI). The body looks good, if dirty, and it's got some fort of yellow/white/gray aftermarket seats on it. Also, chrome GSXR stickers. 8500 miles showing on the odometer.

Is this bike in (mostly) stock trim? Do I have to worry about it being a rebuild or something? Is SRAD something special? I can't find anything about it in NADA or KBB as far as a trim option or different type.

It's priced at $3500.00 now, and the clutches are being replaced. I spoke with the Suzuki dealer here (a friend of mine) who measured the old ones and ordered the new ones. He said that the clutches that are in there now were too big and causing the bike to lock when the clutch was let out. Could this have hurt the bike?

$3500.00 is the price fixed and rolling, I'm sort of considering offering $2900.00 just because this work has had to be done. Also, I'm 6'2" and about 240lbs. I sat on the bike, and it didn't feel very uncomfortable, but of course, I didn't get a chance to ride it. Does anyone think there will be any major concerns over my size vs. the bike? I know there's going to be some comfort issues on any bike. I just don't want to be in agony.

Anyway, that's enough spam from me now. Let me know what you think, any questions/comments are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 05:24 PM

Re: Questions for the Suzuki experts

Quote:
Originally posted by Sindic
I'm looking for a decent used sportbike, and I think I may have found a good deal. Any opinions/comments would help.

It's a bright freakin' yellow 1999 Suzuki GSXR 600 SRAD. It's got a Yoshimura pipe (not sure if it's slip-on or complete) and K&N air filter. I forgot to ask if it had been jetted properly (or had the proper fuel mapping if it's FI). The body looks good, if dirty, and it's got some fort of yellow/white/gray aftermarket seats on it. Also, chrome GSXR stickers. 8500 miles showing on the odometer.

Is this bike in (mostly) stock trim? Do I have to worry about it being a rebuild or something? Is SRAD something special? I can't find anything about it in NADA or KBB as far as a trim option or different type.

It's priced at $3500.00 now, and the clutches are being replaced. I spoke with the Suzuki dealer here (a friend of mine) who measured the old ones and ordered the new ones. He said that the clutches that are in there now were too big and causing the bike to lock when the clutch was let out. Could this have hurt the bike?

$3500.00 is the price fixed and rolling, I'm sort of considering offering $2900.00 just because this work has had to be done. Also, I'm 6'2" and about 240lbs. I sat on the bike, and it didn't feel very uncomfortable, but of course, I didn't get a chance to ride it. Does anyone think there will be any major concerns over my size vs. the bike? I know there's going to be some comfort issues on any bike. I just don't want to be in agony.

Anyway, that's enough spam from me now. Let me know what you think, any questions/comments are appreciated.
600's up till 01 were all carbed...I had a 97 600, and a 99 750, which was FI...on my 600, I had a Yosh slip on, and a K&N w/o and rejetting, and had a Flat spot at around 8k rpm..

SRAD is just a maruqe that suzuki used due to the Ram air induction..in fact all GSXR's were called SRADS, that changed with the New Generation gixxers in 00 for the 750, and in 01 for the 600.

Prices vary from state to state, usually in the mild climate places like so. cali, and Flordia, thet tend to retain higher prices..3500.00 doesn't sound bad, IF the bike is in good cond.

No idea abou the clutch thing..

As for your size...Unless your use to riding a Sportbike, it will seem uncomfotable for a while, you'll get use to it. My son is 6'6" at 270, and he has no problem "fitting" on those bikes..some people never get use to em, on the other hand, I'm 6'2" and Love em...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, Hammer.

Still no word back from the guy after more than a week. I'm going to stop by tomorrow and see what the deal is.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 05:21 PM

Hey Sindic.....

....I've got an "in" here in Lexington, maybe we can help you find something you want.......if you're interested let me know.....we'll see what we can do to help you find a good, quality used motor.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Sounds good, wavz.

I've got to go get a juvenile from Campbell Co. in a while (overtime!) but I'll be around most of the day after that.

If you hear of anything, let me know here, or I'll PM you my cell number. I'm mostly looking for an F4i or an Interceptor, but a really good deal would see me buying most anything. I just went through police cyclist courses with some of your officers, and was instructed by two retired metro officers. Well, you guys aren't metro any more.

And let me know when you guys are riding next, MPD has 4-5 riders that love to go when we're off. As long as you can put up with a few slower cruiser riders, a katana rider, and my craziness on the VTX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode