Odd shift pattern on a 'zuk? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to gijoecam Send a message via Yahoo to gijoecam
Odd shift pattern on a 'zuk?

I'm just curious... the other day I was following a Suzuki sportbike in my cage, and I noticed at the shift pattern appeared to be "inverted" from what I've always seen on a motorcycle (i.e. first gear was UP from neutral, the rest were down on the pedal)..... Is that normal on a Suzuki or a specific model of Zuk, or was I seeing something unique?

I'm sure I wasn't hallucinating.... I watched the rider shift that way (i.e. up is down and down is up) for at least 5 consecutive stop lights before he sped off and I turned onto my street.

Just curious....

-Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 09:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to ZX6R1033

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ZX6R1033; 05-16-2005 at 10:47 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 10:02 AM

Aftermarket rearsets are fairly unrelated.
The rider was using what is refered to as "GP" shift pattern. Mist can be converted to this pattern, with or without aftermarket rearsets. You shimply invert the little arm on the shaft that is sticking out of the transmittion. I dont know how to describe it better, if you are really interested in that, I'll post some pictures.

The Idea behing the mod is to gain a wee bit of ground clearence. When leaned over all the way in the corner accelerating, one does not want to be sticking his foot underneath the shifter to shift up.
Most downshifting is done before entering a turn, so its not a problem.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to gijoecam Send a message via Yahoo to gijoecam
Aaah, OK, I guess that makes sense. I've just never seen it before. It seemed a bit odd, but the clearance issue makes sense....

Although in all honesty, if you're leaned that far over, is up-shifting really an issue? If you're dragging the pegs, I find it hard to believe that an upshift would be necessary.....

Thanks for the info though!

-Joe
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 11:10 AM

A thing to remember about corners is "Come in slow, get out fast"
In the case of a long sweeper there could be a 50mph difference between entry and exit speed (at least for me), if one is trying to get the max power out the whole time, 50 mph change is speed will most likely require an upshift.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

|
|
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 04:46 AM

its been a while since ive been here... but my .02 on gp shift Love it. wouldnt ride any other way. wakes for a more posative shift. less chance for a false neutral. also helps when in leaned over and having to shift. jusy overall better! only takes 5 min. to do on a suzuki.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 09:06 PM

Having gp shifting, or a normal shift pattern is a matter of personal taste...for example, 5 time AMA roadrace champ..Mat Mladin uses a normal pattern, if you like the GP sift, switch..but I wouldn't go so far as to say GP is "better"..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode