My ride is pissin me off.... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Speed_Freek Send a message via Yahoo to Speed_Freek
Angry My ride is pissin me off....

Hello everyone...

New to the site, lookin for help...

My ride is a 2002 Gixxer 1000. I seemed to have developed a slight performance issue. Here's the 411...

Anyone that rides a 1000 ever notice a performance problem at full throttle?? I seem to have a sick bike that makes me want to kick it over !!!! EVERY time I crack the throttle all the way wide open, it falls flat... NO power... actually the bike slows down, and I can't get over 115 mph in 6th gear!!!!! Now if I back off ever so slightly, the bike takes off like a bat outta hell... but full throttle it just stumbles like something's clogged. Normal speeds... 100 & lower....NOT A PROBLEM!!! TPS sensor is dead on the money. Spark plugs look great, even replaced 'em and still the same. Put in a K&N air filter, same thing... I"ve never had a problem with full throttle performance before... got up to 188 mph before this!! It's embarassing when freekin 600's, R1's and other 1000's pass me like I'm standin still !!!!! I can't even power up the front end anymore.... & those that ride a 1000 know how wasy that is!!!!

SO.... anyone know what gives?? In MY opinion, it seems as though it's something ignition related but I can't put a finger on it...if I could, you wouldn't be reading this!!

As far as Mods, the only thing I've done to the bike, but had ABSOLUTELY NO adverse effects on performance is an Akropovic exhaust, & now a K&N air filter. THAT'S IT!!! I've tried the new plugs, air filter, injector cleaner, and octane booster... NOT A DAMN THING helped!!!!

Anyone that has had this problem or knows someone that has had this problem... PLEASE SHARE!!!! I need to know what the hell is up with this thing before I do something my insurance company will not like me for!!!! Any advice is appreciated!!!

PEACE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 08:39 PM

Speed, usually when installing a full system, and a K&N...you need to remapp the ecu, this could be the problem your experiencing...A PC.i.e. Power Comander will sort things out for ya, I suggest taking the bike to reputable dyno tuner, and have him make a new custom map for it...my guess is your running rich.

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

I understand where you're coming from. HOWEVER.... this problem is showing up almost TWO YEARS after installation of the exhaust!!!! I would think that if the lack of the PC3 was to blame, I would have had this problem instantly after installing the exhaust. That's not the case. I need to find the root cause of this problem, then I will add the PC3 (it's on the christmas list btw) LOL

I seem to think that the problem lies somewhere within the primary or secondary ignition system, or perhaps the fuel system. I did also notice though, there was a slight reddish almost like a powdery rusty colored substance on the spark plug probes that snap onto the plugs. I am thinking that possibly the spark may be jumping out of the boot to the cylinder head thus grounding out that cylinder or cylinders at WOT... (Wide Open Throttle) I noticed this on #1 & #4 cylinder boot, however not quite as much on #4. Funny thing is, you would think that if a cylinder was grounding out, that plug be carboned up like crazy or you would hear a octane knock or ping on acceleration... that's not happening. ALL the plugs were burned evenly & all were the same color. Again, it is ONLY at full throttle... otherwise the bike runs fine. Do you know if the ign. system increases the voltage greater than 80 volts at the coils at higher throttle positions?? I'm wondering if there is an increase in voltage at WOT that is sort of forcing the spark out of the boot because if the boot that is on the plug is deteriorating, that would explain why the problem is getting progressively worse. *Shrugs shoulders & throws up hands*

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

Well after many hours of & skreemin I can tell you what my problem is NOT!!!! It's NOT the SPARK PLUGS, AIR FILTER, MAPPING, DIRTY THROTTLE BODIES, SPARK PLUG PROBES (COILS) TRE SOLENOID, ECM, OR REGULATOR RECTIFIER. I've swapped EVERY ONE of those parts and absolutely NO change in the problem. <--- to the bike of course Fortunately I have a 2001 Gixxer 1000 that I was able to borrow these parts from, thank god cuz all of that would have cost a small fortune for those parts from Suzuki. Now... the story gets better...

All I have to say is 2 words............

FUEL PUMP!!!!

Yes that is correct.... the F'n FUEL PUMP!!!!! the ABSOLUTE LAST THING (As usual) I tried was the freekin fuel pump.... and boy let me tell you.... I don't think I've ever been on this bike running so good. It feels like a totally different bike!!!!!! WOW!!!!! so to any of you that EVER experience this type of problem... LEARN from this....... REPLACE YOUR FUEL PUMP FIRST!!!!!! I couldn't have gone any further in the wrong direction to start with.... well guess what....I know where to look to next time....LOL

Time to ride!!!! thank you immensely to all that posted to help me!!! Ride fast, ride it like ya stole it & watch out fo da PO PO!!!!!!!!!! Rubba side down guys (& gals) !!!

Peace!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 02:53 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Quick1100e
fuel pump

yeah i hear ya on the fuel pump i have a bike shop and cant tell ya how many of those i have changed on the 1000s for some reason suzukis fuel pumps on the 1000s suck. on one of my buddies i put in a holley fuel pump and it hauls butt now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode