just got my 04 gixxer 6 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

just got my 04 gixxer 6

yeh i know alot of people on this boards would be against it, but i bought my first bike yesterday, a 2004 gsxr 600. i love it, i can;t really say how well the bike performs becasue i never ridden a good bike and a bad, nor can i say becasue i haven;t ridden it hard, but what i can say is i haven;t busted my ass in it since i got it.

i picked it up yesterday at around 5pm from the dealership and it had 3 miles on it, today it has 185 miles on it, thats right in just one day and a half i drove it 179 miles, i don;t know if thats a good thing or bad since its a new bike, anyway the salesman told me the break in period would be not going over 6k for the first 3000 miles, which i have been doing, and for all of you guys out their that say that a 600+ bike is not a good bike to start on, i must say i think that is bullshit now becasue its not how fast the bike goes is how fast the driver goes, the whole time i ride the bike i have pretty much drove it like a bitch, sometimes i ride speeds so low that cars pass me, even once a harley rider got onto oncoming traffic to pass me, every thing i do i do it as if everybody is out to get it, if i ever feel like speeding up i get nervous about it becasue i think the car in the other lan will not see me and switch lanes, if i want to make a u turn i wait until their is no cars at all becasue i feel somebody will speed up and hit me, if i see a car about to pull out of a drive wayinto the lane im in i will switch lanes becasue i think he won;t see me, even my friend who rode behind me from the dealer was complaining about how i drive so slow and why did i even buy a bike if i was gonna ride like that, i don;t care though cuz im having fun and im not getting hurt,

in the highway its a little different, fastest i gone so far is like 85, i don;t like riding in the highway becasue i always feel like the cars next to me won;t see me and will run into me, so i tend to stay on the right lane and way behind the car infront of me and keep a good distance between the cars on the lanes next to me to be sure they see me, anyay i love the bike and i guess its fast although i can;t really tell u becasue like i said in don;t drive it hard, the most i might do is accelerate hard until i get to about 50 then let go and drive slow. driving at night i really hate and thats where i ride it real slow becasue i can;t see too far ahead of me and i don;t like that becasause thier might be debris or a car pulling out or something.

the thing that is bothering me though is that i haven;t had the confidence to really turn, usually when i approch a turn i slow down alot and take the turn real slow and sometimes cars even honk at me cuz im going so slow, i haven;t had the confidence to lean all that much and it dosen;t look like thats gonna chance, that scares me becasue i feel like im never gonna really lean and be able to execute a turn at a proper speed, i don;t want to hjave to slow down to 30 miles an hour to take a simple turn in the highway,

the bike feels good except the clutch lever is too far of a reach and it starts to get anooying after a while, and the seats are real uncoftable after 30 minutes of riding

all in all i love the bike though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 08:48 PM

Many of the reasons that people are/were against you getting a new 600ss as a first bike are the same things that you listed as the things that are bothering you.

The "lean confidence" would be easier to gain if you had a slower, smaller bike to learn on.
If you get into a corner with 5mm more throttle than you planned, or accidently give 5mm too much throttle, the difference in speed will be greater than it would have been on a smaller bike.

Eventually, you will try to gain some confidence in the corners with your bike.
Hopefully, you will be prepared for the worst, because that extra tiny bit of throttle will give you less time to react. (the same goes for those powerful brakes)

It's not the speed or the power that makes a 600 a bad bike to learn on, it's how quickly they turn from docile to animal. (wait till you whack the throttle at 9K and ride to redline)

In other words, you can be less precise with a smaller, beginner bike than a quick reving, high hp bike.

You also wouldn't worry (as much) about laying it down in a corner since a used, smaller bike would have cost you less.

You have the bike, now you have to gain the skills/experience/knowledge in order to become a better rider.

If you haven't taken an MSF course, take it.
If you can, do a track day or riding school sometime this summer (when you have a few more miles under your belt)

You can adjust the controls to better suit you. (clutch reach, etc)

Also, remember you ride a motorcycle, you don't drive one.

Good luck with the bike, but please try to improve your riding skill before worrying about getting that new slip-on or adding anything you don't need for the bike.

"Take it to the track"

Last edited by sinister988; 05-07-2004 at 03:29 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sinister988
If you haven't taken an MSF course, take it.
If you can, do a track day or riding school sometime this summer (when you have a few more miles under your belt)

Also, remember you ride a motorcycle, you don't drive one.

Good luck with the bike, but please try to improve your riding skill before worrying about getting that new slip-on or adding anything you don't need for the bike.
I agree with that 100%. Take an MSF course to prepare you for the events that you don't worry about when riding.

Good luck, and keep the rubber side down.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

i already took the course, 2 months ago

how do i adjust the cluth for the reach? their is this little knob next to it that turns but it dosen;t do anything really, it just goes in circles, the manual says its supposed to adjust the reach but it dosen;t, at first when i started turning it it went the opposite direction i wanted it to go and then i tjust stopped moving the clutch period

also do these bikes have a fuel valve? the manual says nothing of it, but i think i remember the intructors at my msf course tell me all bikes have them
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyMontana

how do i adjust the cluth for the reach? their is this little knob next to it that turns but it dosen;t do anything really, it just goes in circles, the manual says its supposed to adjust the reach but it dosen;t, at first when i started turning it it went the opposite direction i wanted it to go and then i tjust stopped moving the clutch period

also do these bikes have a fuel valve? the manual says nothing of it, but i think i remember the intructors at my msf course tell me all bikes have them
Tony, read your owners manual...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 03:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to mmmbarley Send a message via Yahoo to mmmbarley
Quote:
Originally posted by TonyMontana

the knob really only adjust the engagement point/friction zone on the clutch through adjusting the tension on the cable... the clutch lever will always start out in the same place... just the place in the travel of the lever where the clutch "action" can be modified

+1 on read the manual(it'll tell you the break in that suzuki (the manufacturer recommends) which is different than the dealer told you. just make sure you do a lot of cyclings of the rpms and you'll be all good!

Complicity? Simplexity? Its simply too complicated for me.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

oh i thought the lever could be adjusted, and i did read the manual its just not very clear

thats too bad, cuz the reach is killing my hands, maybe if the lever would go down a little it would help becasue the main thing is my fingers have to lift up to grab the clutch and thats a killer on my fingers,
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 07:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to mmmbarley Send a message via Yahoo to mmmbarley
you can adjust the angle of the plane that the lever travels through in reference to the handgrip through some pinch bolts on where the lever is attached to the clip-on.

Complicity? Simplexity? Its simply too complicated for me.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mmmbarley
you can adjust the angle of the plane that the lever travels through in reference to the handgrip through some pinch bolts on where the lever is attached to the clip-on.
Do you know where the clip-on is???? That is not intended for you Pat.

KNEE DOWN FINGER UP!!!!

That will buff out!!

Women are like parking spaces.....you get in...you get out....and you leave it behind you!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

how do i work the white shift light on my bike? does it just work when you hit redline or can u adjust it to light up at a specific rpm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode