First bike advice? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

First bike advice?

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting here & I am looking for some first bike advice. I will be purchasing a used bike (98-02 Suzuki preferably, unless something else is recommended). I have never ridden a bike before. I will be using it primarily for drag racing (get your laughs out now!). I know how to respect powerful machines, but I know bikes are a totally different ball game than my 12 second truck that I currently race.
I am 6'1" 240 lbs as a bodybuilder. I totally want to start out with something powerful, yet reasonable enough to learn on. Being larger than average, I feel too big for a 600, although I have read previous posts stating that 600 is way too much power to start on. My goal is to work my way to a 'Busa. The bike racers at the track have suggested i start with a 750cc being as big as I am. I have asked many of them and they all say 750 -900. And yes, i told them I have never so much as ridden a bike in the past. 750 sounds scary... they tell me I will feel comfortable fairly fast with a 600 and wish i went bigger (I never saw much of a difference in the 1/4 mile between 600 and 750).What does everyone think provided I do not plan to ride on public roads? I plan on learning on a trail/parking lots. TIA for any thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 02:00 PM

No dis intended, but the Guys at the track need to rethink what they are tellin ya....a 750 is TOO powerful for a first bike, Yes, even at your size...

My Son is a tad bigger at 6'6", and 270 lbs...and Nothing bigger than a SV 650 twin, which puts out Less HP, than a 600cc sportbike..is what I'd recomend for him...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Thats the kind of answer I want. I dont want to kill myself because I listened to poor advice. Do you or anyone think I am making a mistake if I go for as much power as a GSX R-600? I am not necessarily closed minded to honda's f4i's, rr, and yamaha r6 either... I read alot about people starting with the sv650... Personally, I dont like how it looks with or without added plastic. If a 600 is doable, I would like to start there. Once I have a couple years experience on a smaller bike, should I slowly move up to a 1300, or jump right into it?
What is considered decent milage for a bike... what's high milage? I am not sure what to look out for. I was trying to stay within 10,000 miles.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mattohio77
Thats the kind of answer I want. I dont want to kill myself because I listened to poor advice. Do you or anyone think I am making a mistake if I go for as much power as a GSX R-600? I am not necessarily closed minded to honda's f4i's, rr, and yamaha r6 either... I read alot about people starting with the sv650... Personally, I dont like how it looks with or without added plastic. If a 600 is doable, I would like to start there. Once I have a couple years experience on a smaller bike, should I slowly move up to a 1300, or jump right into it?
What is considered decent milage for a bike... what's high milage? I am not sure what to look out for. I was trying to stay within 10,000 miles.
I think you'd be making a mistake getting a 600...

Look, I realize that some of the smaller bikes don't have "the look" like the modern sportbikes, but this isn't a popularity, or beauty contest..the idea is to get something that YOU can Learn on, and have some fun, while devloping your riding skillz.

Even if your main intention is to drag race...you still need to learn many other things besides going in a straight line..and by getting something smaller than a 600 will allow You to learn much quicker, and safer.

So, all I can suggest is, to put your design tastes aside, and get the smaller bike...even if it means riding a EX 500 for a year...the benifits far outweigh trying to lean on the bigger bikes. In the end, I garontee, you'll be glad ya did..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Ok. Fair enough. I appreciate your info. With a 600, yes a big part of why I like them is how it looks... The other reason though was that I never see anything smaller than a 600 at the track. Is there a typical time frame it takes for one to be ready for a 600? I was just hoping to be racing by Sept. to get some practice in, but looks like I might be waiting until spring.
I was reading some posts on a Hayabusa board... Theres guys takling about how they just bought a Busa as their first. If we hear from them again, it will most likely be when they sell it due to fear of it.
I am getting rid of a 2002 Ford Lightning to get a bike (12.5 ET's - I can drink a cup of coffee at that speed). I can sell it and get a bike for $5,000 that will be in high 10's in the 1/4 mile (no coffee intended), or I can spend $6000 more to get my truck to do high 10's. A Bike sounds much more practical!!! Probably alot more fun too. If I must, I will settle for a 500cc bike, but what is the difference between a 500 and 600 that makes a world of safety difference for first timers, I must ask? Is it handling, or power or both that makes it a better idea?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mattohio77
Ok. Fair enough. I appreciate your info. With a 600, yes a big part of why I like them is how it looks... The other reason though was that I never see anything smaller than a 600 at the track. Is there a typical time frame it takes for one to be ready for a 600? I was just hoping to be racing by Sept. to get some practice in, but looks like I might be waiting until spring.
I was reading some posts on a Hayabusa board... Theres guys takling about how they just bought a Busa as their first. If we hear from them again, it will most likely be when they sell it due to fear of it.
I am getting rid of a 2002 Ford Lightning to get a bike (12.5 ET's - I can drink a cup of coffee at that speed). I can sell it and get a bike for $5,000 that will be in high 10's in the 1/4 mile (no coffee intended), or I can spend $6000 more to get my truck to do high 10's. A Bike sounds much more practical!!! Probably alot more fun too. If I must, I will settle for a 500cc bike, but what is the difference between a 500 and 600 that makes a world of safety difference for first timers, I must ask? Is it handling, or power or both that makes it a better idea?
Let me ask you a question, is this bike gonna be Strictly for the track...or will ya be riding on the street as well..?

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

I dont plan on riding it in on the street, no... not for some time. I will be wearing full gear when I ride and... I really would love to eventually do autocross someday when I am ready. I expect that to be years down the road. I know when it is warm and sunny out I will have the urge to take the bike out on the street, but until I feel confident, I will not be enjoying it in that kind of way. But hey, I have no problem getting less of a bike if it is going to make me a better rider. I will listen to people like you with experience. I am not the kind of person to do stupid things that can get myself killed, so... Feel free to give me hell about my idea. I kind of figured a 600 might be not good. I am only 27, so I have a long life ahead of me to grow into a bigger bike.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 06:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to mmmbarley Send a message via Yahoo to mmmbarley
Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer 4
I think you'd be making a mistake getting a 600...

So, all I can suggest is, to put your design tastes aside, and get the smaller bike...even if it means riding a EX 500 for a year...the benifits far outweigh trying to lean on the bigger bikes. In the end, I garontee, you'll be glad ya did..

Don't get an ex500! The suspension sucks for big kids. You'll quickly be bottoming out the suspension as you improve your leaning skills and grinding away the lower cowl. Whatever you buy, the most important consideration should be suspension.

Complicity? Simplexity? Its simply too complicated for me.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 07:34 AM

Dragbike

This is kind of a strange situation. I've never had a brand newbie rider ask what would be a good first-time dragracing bike.

As you allude to in your post, I can see the appeal. You can't beat the bang for the buck quickness provided by a sportbike. A used $3000 motorcycle can run quicker times than a car that's had tens of thousands of dollars put into it.

If it's strictly going to be used for racing, why not just find some old under $1500 scrapper to learn and beat up on? Then, once you get the hang of it and run fairly consistent ET's, move up to something faster/nicer.

Man, I can't imagine learning how to ride at a dragstrip. That's gonna be pretty weird. I'd be really interested in hearing how that works out.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

I wasnt going to attempt learning at a drag strip . I was hoping to buy the bike soon and be ready to try out the drag strip before fall when they close it down to get some practice in. Buying a beater bike is not a bad idea. For any bike, what is considered high milage? I was told 10,000 on a bike is comparable to 30,000 on a car. I don't know how much truth that holds.
On a side note, I am a fan of Redline oil. Does anyone here use it on their bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode