going to buy a busa, have questions. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

going to buy a busa, have questions.

little info, i am overseas in the military and going to be home in jan-feb 05. i am going to buy a busa, but i have some questions that need to be answered first. i dont know if i want to buy a brand new from the dealer busa or a used bike? are there some big differences between the years. i heard people tell me that the 99 and prior dont have restrictions that the newer ones have. i am also going to look at a turbo kit ,but i want it to still be an everyday rider. if any of you out there can give me some info or web pages that might help me i would appreciate your opinions and help. ( i figure i got the time and some money so i might as well do it right the first time).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 07:32 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Might we ask about your prior riding experience? If you are a seasoned rider then the Busa might be good (though a turbo on a Busa is just insane! ). However if you are a brand new rider then a turbo Busa as a first bike is nothing less than a recipe for disaster. Not knowing where you fit in the riding experience spectrum, it's kind of hard to give any valuable advice.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 03:14 PM

If You get ahold of a Suzuki Dealer They have a Book that will tell You all of the changes Year For Year. There really arn't very many. As far as the speed restriction goes all It takes Is a Resister To "fool" the ECU. They go from 3.00 to $110.00 Depending on what You want and Who You belive. The bike will still bury the speedo and will do an honest 180+ restricted. As far as a turbo goes check out this board http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/phpbb/index.php The guy who runs It Is the End all be all when It comes to Turbo Busa's. Buy a New one then do Your mods and keep It that way You don't inherit some one elses problems. I just added a 04 to the garage and love It.

Racing Death on the Weekends Is What Keeps Me alive All Week
Old Age And Trechery Will over Come Youth And Skill

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

riding experience

i have been riding for over 20 years, previous sportbikes are a 81 gs1100e, a 86 gsxr750 and now a 96 cbr 1000 with a few simple mods ( full exhaust clutch and sprockets, etc.). I want to go with the busa for the size and a comfortable ride, (the turbo is just because i can). im planning on riding this bike on a lot of 2 or 3 three our rides so i want to keep it reliable for the road and still good for cruising around the country or town. very limited time at any track is expected...
I will check the info you guys have given me so far and look forward to any other opinions or ideas you might have

thanks
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 05:46 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Re: riding experience

Quote:
Originally posted by beckerd
i have been riding for over 20 years, previous sportbikes are a 81 gs1100e, a 86 gsxr750 and now a 96 cbr 1000 with a few simple mods ( full exhaust clutch and sprockets, etc.). I want to go with the busa for the size and a comfortable ride, (the turbo is just because i can). im planning on riding this bike on a lot of 2 or 3 three our rides so i want to keep it reliable for the road and still good for cruising around the country or town. very limited time at any track is expected...
I will check the info you guys have given me so far and look forward to any other opinions or ideas you might have

thanks

Just wanted to make sure we weren't recommending a turbo Busa to a newbie!

Good luck with the purchase and be sure to post pics!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 06:19 AM

turbo?

I wanted to chime in as well. A "turbo" on a busa? Holy crap!!!!

Wow, wow, and all I got is...wow!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 02:11 PM

Wanted to add my I've had my 2002 for just over 2 years and almost 31k on the odo. Great bike. Very reliable. Decent mileage. Comfortable. I mix it up and commute, track it, 500+ mile sunday rides in the WV mountains. Little of everything. With regular maintenance it has held up quite well. I have ridden a turbo'd busa too. Loads of fun in short bursts. I could live with the power but it's really a##hole overkill unless you plan to drag race or you live hours from any twisty roads. People already know the bike to be wicked fast, it only surprises newbies and some sports car drivers. IMHO>

I WAS A POSEUR LAST YEAR AND IT SUCKED. AND THIS YEAR I HAVE 3 POINTS, A CAR WRECK AND ANOTHER DAMN TICKET. I GIVE UP. ................
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 04:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to bass boss
I have a 2001 that I bought used. I also own 99 that I bought for my son.The 01 was completely stock with 8700 miles. I took the extra money that I would have spent on a new bike and put it into mods to get it where I want it. The '99 had only 2000 miles and was also completely stock and in perfect condition. It 's a great bike for an experienced rider. I see you are!!! Even experienced riders can get into trouble fast with THIS bike. You really have to grow into it and not try to do too much, too fast. Try joining Hayabusa.org to get lots of really specific info on this bike.

My personal preference is for a used bike that was treated well and not raced

Here is a photo of my Blue '01 and my son's copper '99. BTW, there is a turbo busa for sale now on www.hayabusa.org . Buy lots of insurance if you get a turbo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2busas.jpg (34.1 KB, 119 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bass boss; 05-27-2004 at 04:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode