Sag, 30 mm with me on the bike or off the bike? please read this link. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Sag, 30 mm with me on the bike or off the bike? please read this link.

Sag, 30 mm with me on the bike or off the bike? please read this link.
Should I set the sag to 30 mm front and rear with me on the bike or off the bike, read this.
Static sag setting is the most important. To adjust static sag you will need 2 people, three is better, but 2 will do. You cannot do this alone.

Compression settings are totally irrelevant when it comes to setting static sag, since static sag measures the travel of the forks and shock in an upward motion. By pulling up you will unweight the bike so compression and rebound settings will be irrelevant. I recommend setting them to stock so you don't go crazy doing all sorts of unnecessary adjusting later. For now, concentrate on static sag (spring preload nut on top of front fork adjusts this), First, be sure to properly inflate your tires. I run 32 front 34 rear psi. Sometimes a touch lower when sportriding at "pace".

For some reading info. go to Íhlins .com Regardless of suspension componentry, static sag should be set as follows: without rider: front 25-30mm, rear 5-10MM; with rider: front 35-48mm, rear 30-40mm Íhlins (forks link) and 30-40mm rear Íhlins (shock link).

I did about 30 suspension setups last month on a susupension day. I'm not sure where you are but I could set up your suspension in about 10 minutes. I live in Sudbury and would be glad to do it for you if you like. At that time I can give you a manual of information regarding suspension setting that I provided to people who had their suspension set up.

I addition to the links above, I have attached some info. for you. The first is a sheet of symptomatic suspension setting problems. DO NOT adjust for compression and rebound until static sag (spring preload) is proper set for both front and rear. Be sure to set suspension WITH your riding gear including helmet ON, since the adjustments are based on weight.

I'm not sure if you are using an Ohlins steering damper (I do) but if you do, set it to 10 clicks out from full hard. (Screw in clockwise all the way until it stops then back it out 10 clicks counterclockwise). Íhlins (steering damper link).

It would be easier for you to just have me do this for you, and I'm willing to do it. But if you want to do it yourself here's how. After being sure the tire pressure is correct (and that you don't have bald tires), stand the bike straight up, bounce the front end it a few times to get a good centered point to measure from. Measure the distance of the exposed shiny part of the front fork tube. Next, have a gorilla (or your friend) pull UP on the bars (2 people works best here) while you measure the distance again. the difference is the static sag, which should be 25-30mm. Next, sit on the bike, have the gorill...umm, buddy balance the bike while you put both feet on the pegs and get in your normal riding position with weight applied over the front bars similar to when you ride. Have another friend measure the distance again. This should be a total of 35-48mm total sag.

Do the same with the rear and see the settings above.

Once you have ridden this for a bit, THEN, and ONLY then should you play with the compression and rebound, which I recommend leaving close to stock settings based on your weight. Suspension can be quite tricky. The offer is out there if you want me to do it for you. Just let me know.

Chuck Caffarella
'02 Ducati 998S Bostrom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 08:07 AM

On the bike with gear is the best way because this is where you want the suspension to ride. Full leathers/boots/helmet can add 20 lbs easy so adding this weight while setting sag isn't critical but if you're gonna try to set it propperly you might as well get it perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode