Battery - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Cool Battery

I've had my GS500 for a week and the darn battery went dead. Has this ever happen to anyone else or is it just that I'm such a rookie this is routine for MC batteries? I know the manual says to recharge it every month. Let me know what you think....hehe..only if its nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 11:22 AM

Nope, this is not normal. Check to see if the dealer actually put enough fluid in it, and maybe charge it, if it happens again, ask the dealer. Could be a bad battery, or a problem with the charging system. I assume you didn't just sit there and start it over and over just to hear it come to life. And I assume you didn't leave the key in the "park" position so the lights were left on.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 09:44 PM

I got your message and tried to e-mail you back, but your settings won't allow it.

Anyway, whether you shut it down with the key or the kill switch shouldn't matter. I had a '91 gs500 and I don't think they really changed anything since. I know they teach you to use the run/stop in the MSF course, but some bikes (mine anyway) specifically tell you in the manual to use the key. I always did it with the kill switch on the gs, but that is all beside the point. It shouldn't matter. As long as the key is turned off.

Long story short, check the water, charge it (if you have one, use a peak charger that will auto-shutoff) at a low amperage (1-2amp) and charge it for 8-10 hours. If you have a hydrometer, use it to check the battery. If not, doesn't really matter. Run it in the bike, if it happens again, take it back to the dealer. This should not be happening. They should either replace the battery if needed and/or check the charging system. It should all be covered under warranty

You can also check your charging system yourself if you want. You need a multimeter that will read DC volts (any multimeter should). Charge your battery. Test the voltage. It should be about 12. Then start the bike, with it running test the voltage at the battery terminals. It should be about 14 or so, at the very least more than it read before you started the bike. If it isn't higher at idle, you may have to take a reading at a higher RPM. Not all charging systems work real well at very low RPM, so don't be alarmed if it isn't. As long as it comes up as you rev it.

For future reference, if in a couple of years the bike starts, but then barely runs, and then runs like crap for several minutes, and then starts normally the rest of the day, it is time for a new battery. You need a good battery to run well.

Last edited by Bobas; 06-25-2002 at 09:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode