Spring upgrade or sus. adjustment? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2002, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Question Spring upgrade or sus. adjustment?

Hi all,

I am still not satisified with how my gsxr600 handles as far as stability at extreme lean angles. I'm getting quite a bit of headshake. My first problem might be the BIGGEST contributor: I haven't had the rear sag set. I have adjusted the compression a 1/2 turn in front & back, and the front pre-loads are set 1 line tighter. Will the sag adjustment clean up the slop up front??

1 more thing: Is the difference between factory springs and let's say HyperPro Progressive springs that much night and day??

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 03:24 PM

Re: Spring upgrade or sus. adjustment?

Quote:
Originally posted by gsx-in the city
Hi all,

I am still not satisified with how my gsxr600 handles as far as stability at extreme lean angles. I'm getting quite a bit of headshake. My first problem might be the BIGGEST contributor: I haven't had the rear sag set. I have adjusted the compression a 1/2 turn in front & back, and the front pre-loads are set 1 line tighter. Will the sag adjustment clean up the slop up front??

1 more thing: Is the difference between factory springs and let's say HyperPro Progressive springs that much night and day??

Any help is appreciated.
Have a look here
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~kenru...sion/setup.htm

And here..

www.circuit1.com

You need to get the SAG set before doing any adjusting..

Also..if you weigh more than about 150 with all your gear on, the bike is prolly undersprung, both front, and rear, although for some reason..the rear seems to be sprung better than the forks..
I'm wondering why you have all that headshake..? never had that happen to my 600, or 750 Gixxer..are you putting your weight way towards the rear on entry, and exit..? Hope this helps..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Question

I hang off and try to set as far forward as I can when I lean through corners. Cold pavement is still a factor.

My buddies swear by spring upgrades. Is it worth it to blow $00-500 on new springs?? Or will a properly tuned STOCK suspension setting be good for riding hard in corners??

Thanks!!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 08:17 PM
Lifetime Premium

Hammer 4 - you sound like you are talking about my bike before I made the mods to the suspension.

GSX - If indeed Hammer 4 is correct which I do believe he is then perhaps my expirience with the R1 will be of benefit...

https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums...uspension+cure

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gsx-in the city
I hang off and try to set as far forward as I can when I lean through corners. Cold pavement is still a factor.

My buddies swear by spring upgrades. Is it worth it to blow $00-500 on new springs?? Or will a properly tuned STOCK suspension setting be good for riding hard in corners??

Thanks!!
Dude..I can get ya the proper rate springs for WAY less than $500.00 ...I have them on my 750, and they work great..here's what I had done..new springs for the front..the stock rear shock was revalved, reshafted with 1/2" shaft, and 12mm longer.also recharged, and new oil, with a 400# spring..all for $300.00 plus shipping..if your interested..shoot me a PM..

Also, the head shaking still had me pondering..now I'm wondering if your rebound is set way to hard on the forks..?? and then..what about the compression..? I'd reset them at stock, get the SAG set..keep in mind, any adjustments you make with the stock suspension, won't be as much of a benifit as a aftermarket set up, and yes..new springs..ect..will not only be like night, and day..but confidence inspiring as well..When I had my 97 600 gix..I spent well over a grand on the suspension, and it wasn't $700.00 better than what I have now..so for about 3 bills..I can hook ya up, and trust me..it will be the best 3 hundered you'l ever spend.. I can't mention the name brand, due to the very low price..all componets will be custom made for your weight, and riding style..let me know..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by chris_y2k_r1
Hammer 4 - you sound like you are talking about my bike before I made the mods to the suspension.

GSX - If indeed Hammer 4 is correct which I do believe he is then perhaps my expirience with the R1 will be of benefit...

https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums...uspension+cure

Thank You Chris

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 05:15 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i cranked every last bit of preload into my springs yesterday and still needed more.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode