Tires for the SV650 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to SV650Rider
Cool Tires for the SV650

Does anyone know what is the largest rear tire mountable on the stock wheel of an SV650? Stock is 160... Does Metzler offer the stock tread design on a larger scale? Thanks everyone...

Chris Moore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 05:25 AM
elo

Send a message via Yahoo to elo
Personally and IMHO, I hated the stock tires. They aren't sticky enough for me. The Mez 3's or whatever they are are made for touring, not sport riding. I went to Dunlop 207's and am much happier.

Erica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Your one stop source for all things pocketbike!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Official Website for the SouthWest Association of Pocketbikers
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 05:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to old squid
Chris,

You're better off sticking with the 160 width and not trying to go wider. The bike is set up for 160. Modifying the suspension is a more productive avenue of improving the handling.

Yeah, the stock Metzelers aren't so hot. Once you wear them out, Bridgestone BT010's are an excellent tire. If you ride a lot of highway miles, I recommend a BT010 on the front and BT020 on the rear. The BT020 still gives good grip but won't square off as fast if you have to spend commute time on the freeway.

Steve
----------
2002 Subaru WRX Sedan

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Old squid-
How can a wider tire hinder performance? If it was a car I'de have all the answers but am relatively new to bike mods. I would think that a matched set of tires with a wider tire in back could only help in the grand scheme of things. Has anyone had negative effects from putting a wider rear on back of an SV? I do, however, agree about these tires seam better for touring pourposes. I dunno, just seems like a relatively inexpensive mod that could help handling in the rear. I've already gotten a bit squirrely going into third on a turn. Kinda caught me off guard, the tires were warm.

Erica-
Are the 207's a wider tire? If so, did you have any clearance issues?

Chris Moore
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 07:25 AM
elo

Ummmmm, the handling will improve if you put a slightly larger tire on your bike. It allows for more rubber to touch the road when riding at speed, and made the bike fall into leans easier, but that also has to do with the shape of the tire. I wouldn't go any bigger, as I'm not a pro racer, but clearance shouldn't be an issue. A 170 should fit fine on a stock rim. I'll get back to you, but I believe my rear is a 170, and I'm much happier with it now.

Tire selection should be based on purpose: If you ride a lot of highway miles and not a lot of twisties, go for a more tour oriented tire, stick to the same size. If you want to lean it over as far as you can go in the twisties, go for a race compound tire, possibly bigger.

Erica

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Is the 207 considered race compound? I'm really doining it for two reasons; 1st: I want to be able to lean into the turns deeply (Priority),2nd: I just flat out like the way it looks to have a bigger back tire on a sports bike. Do you have a hugger plate on your SV? A larger tire might not fit under one... At least one that's made for an SV.

Chris Moore
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 07:37 AM
elo

Why do you need a hugger? I have never seen the point to them, from a performance standpoint.

207's are one of the stickiest tires you can get for the street. I prefer them to the Michelin Pilots, but that's just me. IMHO Dunlops are more proven. I've never run on Bridgestones, but I know a lot of people who like them.

First of all, go for the sticky tires. Whether or not you have a fatter tire is secondary. Remember, at any one time, you have no more than 4" of bike touching the road at any time.

I agree with old squid on the suspension issue. Get a good shock for the back, it will help your riding in the twisties, you'll get less sag.

Erica

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 08:01 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to slowrat
I agree with old squid. The bike will perform better in normal situation as is.

And look how skinny GP tires are.

But like any other irrational person out there. I too will go one size up in the rear with 207's.

"Don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die".---Men's restroom, Murphy's, Champaign, IL
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 08:09 AM
Resident Smartass

Quote:
Originally posted by elo
Ummmmm, the handling will improve if you put a slightly larger tire on your bike. It allows for more rubber to touch the road when riding at speed, and made the bike fall into leans easier,
Wrong.

Suck mean people!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 08:17 AM
elo

Smile

please 'splain then.

Erica

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode