Question for SV people - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2002, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Question for SV people

Presently I am shopping for a race bike for this season. Leading bike is a SV650. But I have a question. How much of a SV front end is interchangable with a GSXR? I believe the forks are, but what about converting the rest? Brakes, front rim, triple?
Reason I ask is a local SV has no front end and I might be able to pick up a front end cheap off of a GSXR if I decide to go that route. Any info would be helpfull.

www.ftb-racing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 02:00 AM
elo

Send a message via Yahoo to elo
Thumbs up

Hi! From what I understand, you can completely swap out a GSXR 600 front end that is 1997 or earlier (I'm 90% sure on the year). If you go to www.svrider.com and click on tips and tricks, there are a few different postings on how and what to swap out. Zoran is the resident expert on all of this, look for anything he posted. It was his instructions that helped us swap out the rear shock for a 750 shock, and they were dead on.

Erica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Your one stop source for all things pocketbike!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Official Website for the SouthWest Association of Pocketbikers
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 02:15 AM

Hey elo,

My girlfriend really wants to get a bike, her first bike. I suggested the SV650s, and I was wondering if it is a good idea for her to get a brand new one, or try to find a used one for her first bike? I guess my question is, will she be able to learn on it without getting into to much trouble? My other thought was letting her ride my '94 600R for a while instead, except its like 450lbs or something. I also know that the heavy bike will be stable in wind and such, but a lighter bike will be easier to ride in a parking lot, which she will have to do quite a bit before I let her out on the road. Any suggestions?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 02:40 AM
elo

Send a message via Yahoo to elo
If she's tall enough, I'd say she couldn't choose a better all around bike than the SV. If she's a shorty, a ninja 250 would be the way to go.

That being said, I think the SV is one of the best bikes anyone can learn on. One of my favorite things about an SV is that you don't have to ride it at high RPM's to get it to run well. This is huge for a beginner.

As you well know, any bike will get a beginner into trouble. The SV is just more forgiving. I have found it to be extremely well balanced, so even if it's weightier than your GSXR, it doesn't feel that way. If you can find a used one, go for it. The ones that do show up tend to be well taken care of. (SV's are holding their prices very, very well too!) The only difference between 2002 models and all the earlier ones is that they added adjustability to the front forks. To be honest, I didn't notice the "soft" suspension until almost a year after I bought the bikeand had gained a lot of confidence in my skills. People gripe and complain about it, but for a beginner it's hardly noticeable.

My first sportbike was a 1995 YZF600R. I think they are great bikes, but not for me to learn on. It felt like a tank and I had a hard time enjoying riding it. It felt really top heavy to me. My confidence rose 1000% when I traded it in for the SV. Wind problems? My YZF bucked in the wind no more and no less than my SV does. That's not a problem I'd worry about with her on any street bike.

You will have her take the MSF course, right?

Erica

-Your one stop source for all things pocketbike!

-Official Website for the SouthWest Association of Pocketbikers
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 03:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to SV650Rider
Thumbs up

The SV650 gets 2 thumbs up from me!! I was off a bike for some years now and the SV has put me right back in at the pace I prefer, fast but stable. I t looks great and even the brand new ones are very cost feasable (SP?) I've seen quite a few used ones at great prices, too. If you buy one that's less than one year old, you can still purchase the factory, no deductible, extended warranty for $400. Not a bad idea if you plan on keeping it for at least a couple of years. Hope this helps....

Chris Moore
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elo

You will have her take the MSF course, right?
Oh, yes. She will be taking the class. Even after that I am going to have her ride in the parking lot until I get comfortable. Then she can go out with the cagers, only with me in tow. And sometime after that she can go out on her own. I just really want to make sure she has a handle on it just to make me feel more at ease.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SV650Rider
The SV650 gets 2 thumbs up from me!! I was off a bike for some years now and the SV has put me right back in at the pace I prefer, fast but stable. I t looks great and even the brand new ones are very cost feasable (SP?) I've seen quite a few used ones at great prices, too. If you buy one that's less than one year old, you can still purchase the factory, no deductible, extended warranty for $400. Not a bad idea if you plan on keeping it for at least a couple of years. Hope this helps....
What kind of "great prices" do yall see down there Chris?

Elo, I have looked at SVrider.com but never saw the tips section. It does have a lot of information that is very good. Thanks a lot.

www.ftb-racing.com
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 06:53 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to SV650Rider
Exclamation

I got mine for $5300.00 plus prep of about $268 and then obviously your own T,T,&T in your state. I've seen used '01's for about $4900 in 'S' trim with low miles. If you wanted, I could get you in contact with my dealer and salesman. I believe that these are pretty good prices.

Chris Moore
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 08:18 AM
Resident Smartass

Funky- some SV racers are using SRAD complete front ends, but I would not call this a simple swap. The hot setup (for reasonable cost) is stock fork lowers with F3 tubes and internals and Gold Valves. The F3 tubes are longer which allows a lot of ride height adjustment and the clip ons can be placed above or below the top triple. I've seen stock forks for SV's for sale lately somewhere. If the front end is totally gone, I'd shop around for a COMPLETE F3, VTR or other 41mm tube size. I'm talking forks, wheel, rotors, calipers. Does this bike have stock triple clamps intact?

Suck mean people!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 08:40 AM
Resident Smartass

If you wanna get real fancy- this is from SV Rider classifieds:
(I would take "bolts right on" with a grain of salt)

FOR SALE: 95' gsxr front end
Categories: Parts For Sale
Ad Number: 1132
Date Posted: 01/10/2002
citrus heights, CA 95610
usa
Telephone:
E-Mail: [email protected]
Web Site:

Description
includes forks, triples, steering stem. polished, revalved and sprung by Lindeman. bolts right on to your SV. Changing my race bike back to street.
$600.00

Suck mean people!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode