Slip ons for GSX-R750 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: new castle, IN, United States, 47362
Posts: 2
Send a message via AIM to cmjackso
Slip ons for GSX-R750

I was just wondering if the late model GSX-r750 owners could let me know what slip-on pipes in their opinions sound the best and perform the best Thanks. im getting ready to purchase a 2001 750 and the first mod i want to do is a pipe.

Long live the STARBOYZ
cmjackso is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 09:04 AM
Registered User
 
Needa916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: So Cal.
Posts: 85
Slipon

I have a Yoshimura Tri-Oval for my 2002 750. I personally like the sound, and dealer re-mapped the box to make power delivery smoother -no significant gains though. As for the sound, it is quiet (kind of...) at partial throttle, and VERY loud when you open it up. The Akrapovic is much louder, but it also sounds the sweetest. Performance wise, I don't know about slip-ons. The dealer told me I may have picked 3 or 4 HP and maybe 2 or 3 ft/lbs of torque. You may want to post this message in one of the other high traffic forums.
Needa916 is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 09:57 AM
Moderator
 
Hammer 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Torrance,CA. USA 90504
Posts: 3,059
Re: Slip ons for GSX-R750

Quote:
Originally posted by cmjackso
I was just wondering if the late model GSX-r750 owners could let me know what slip-on pipes in their opinions sound the best and perform the best Thanks. im getting ready to purchase a 2001 750 and the first mod i want to do is a pipe.
First of all, WELCOME to SBW..

Kind of a tough dicssion on which pipe to use..but most of the guys that I know of that ride 750's use the Yosh RS3, power gains might be in the 1 to 2 hp. range, as for the sound, the yosh has a nice sound, not to loud, ya don't want it to be to loud, the cops can hear quite well.. I had one on my 600, and liked it..good luck with the new Gix..ride safe..oh, and let us know what you got..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Hammer 4 is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: new castle, IN, United States, 47362
Posts: 2
Send a message via AIM to cmjackso
thanks for the welcome and the advice. in the end ive decided to get the Jardine RT One Race Slip On Titanium Can with the race baffle. i've already ordered a new countershaft sprocket 1 tooth smaller and plan on adding a PCII and k&n later.

SBW is awesome!!!!

Long live the STARBOYZ
cmjackso is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 12:59 PM
Moderator
 
Hammer 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Torrance,CA. USA 90504
Posts: 3,059
Quote:
Originally posted by cmjackso
thanks for the welcome and the advice. in the end ive decided to get the Jardine RT One Race Slip On Titanium Can with the race baffle. i've already ordered a new countershaft sprocket 1 tooth smaller and plan on adding a PCII and k&n later.

SBW is awesome!!!!
Kewl...

Can I make a suggestion..? Instead of going down 1 on the countershaft, go up 3 on the rear sprocket, I know...more$$, but the chain doesn't have to turn a tight radius, as with going 1 down, and unless the bike has very few miles on it, it's best to change both sprockets, and the chain at the same time..

Sounds like your on your way to building a nice ride...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Hammer 4 is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2002, 12:56 AM
Registered User
 
FZR400Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Pittston, PA 18640
Posts: 3,644
Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer 4


Kewl...

Can I make a suggestion..? Instead of going down 1 on the countershaft, go up 3 on the rear sprocket, I know...more$$, but the chain doesn't have to turn a tight radius, as with going 1 down, and unless the bike has very few miles on it, it's best to change both sprockets, and the chain at the same time..

Sounds like your on your way to building a nice ride...
normally i'd agree with ya hammer, but the gsx-r has a HUGE 17-tooth front sprocket. 16 isn't a bad size (i think it's the same size as the stock 96-99 front).

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
FZR400Tony is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2002, 03:39 AM
Moderator
 
Hammer 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Torrance,CA. USA 90504
Posts: 3,059
Quote:
Originally posted by FZR400Tony


normally i'd agree with ya hammer, but the gsx-r has a HUGE 17-tooth front sprocket. 16 isn't a bad size (i think it's the same size as the stock 96-99 front).
Yep, your right..forgot about the 750 having a 17 tooth up front..my bad..and thanks, I stand corrected....and yep..the stock 600 is 16.....

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Hammer 4 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2002, 06:02 AM
Registered User
 
Paul 750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Phoenix, AZ., U.S.A.
Posts: 380
Why a slip on?

Why the slip?? Of course everybody has an opinion on exhaust, but the 750 has some heavy headers!!

For the price of a yosh tri-oval slip, you could pick up an M4 full system!! That's the choice I made on my 750 and never regretted it (Although several 929 and R1 owners might disagree!!)

For the 1000, I went with the slip on for looks reasons only....

In terms of sprockets, the 16 tooth switch is a good move. Boosts your low end ability noticeably.

Be Safe and Welcome to SBW!!


P

The Gixxer, the last remaining tie to track days of lore.
Paul 750 is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2002, 06:19 AM
Registered User
 
Needa916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: So Cal.
Posts: 85
M4?

Hey Paul, what is an M4 system? (Dumb question prolly) The tri-oval was included in the deal I got from the dealership, so I was kinda stuck with it. Can headers be put on along with the current slip-on? If so, does the FI need to be re-programmed?

Oh by the way, the price on the Tri-oval Titanium was $380 at the dealership.

Last edited by Needa916; 01-15-2002 at 06:22 AM.
Needa916 is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2002, 08:06 AM
Moderator
 
RCjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Kingston, TN USA 37763
Posts: 5,474
Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
Re: M4?

Quote:
Originally posted by Needa916
Hey Paul, what is an M4 system? (Dumb question prolly) The tri-oval was included in the deal I got from the dealership, so I was kinda stuck with it. Can headers be put on along with the current slip-on? If so, does the FI need to be re-programmed?

Oh by the way, the price on the Tri-oval Titanium was $380 at the dealership.
M4 is an exhaust company based in TX. Partly owned by Michael Martin who once raced for Valvoline Suzuki(among others) and currently teaches in the Team Hammer Racing School(unless he has retired). They make a great product at a reasonable price.

A Yosh header could be installed with the current slip-on if Yosh would sell you just the header. I don't know if they would. A full system will pretty much require reprogramming whereas a slip-on can survive without the reprogramming. Even with a slip-on, reprogramming will be needed to get the full advantage but not completely necessary.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
RCjohn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome