Steering Dampner - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Steering Dampner

I've read in a magazine where they preferred the Gixxer 750 without the steering dampner. I have no experience without the steering dampner & need some opinions from seasoned veterans with this subject. I don't find any dissatifaction with my steering dampner, but then again I'm only a Rookie...with 6 months experience. What do I know!!!!!!

Life is short!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 09:53 PM
that one guy

i havent heard that.. but then again i havent been paying attn lately.

i can tell a big difference w/it on & off on my 97 600.. i like it on.. unless im putting around town.. the steering is heavy w/it on.. but once u light the back tire up it really helps.

go ahead & take it off.. ride cautiously at 1st.. feel it out. spend some time w/it off then put it back on.. that should tell u your preference.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 09:03 AM

from what I gather, in reading alot of articals, and comments from 750 riders, and racers alike..all of them regard a damper, as must..even at lower speeds. And while I didn't have one on my 97 600, there were times when I wished I did. The first rule of thumb is to have everything in line, i.e. wheels, forks..ect.. also having your suspension properly set up is a must for any spirited riding/racing...As for the brands of dampers, lots of the gixxer bretheren, like the olins, some have the scott's, which is the one I was planning on getting..and will get, when I get my new bike..

Oh..I should mention, that the damper needs to be adjusted and in good working order to function properly..

hope this helps...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth

Last edited by Hammer 4; 01-06-2002 at 09:06 AM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 09:21 AM
PJ1

I've had them on all my bikes and at the race track they are a must have to pass a tech inpection. A properly installed and adjusted damper will reduce head shake when the front end is light and improve stability in high speed turns. The R6 really needed one! I have used the Olins on most bikes but I have tried the Stortz (not the best) and many friends use the Scott which is the "new style" and is really trick.

00 Blue R6
NESBA #387
AMA Expert #237
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 05:00 AM

Talking Put it on!!

One of the reviews of the Attack Performance Gixxer 1000 referred to the telemetry equipment on the bike. On the computer, it showed that the bikes front end was an inch or two off the ground for several long sections as speed increased. This occurs on the street as well. Not really a wheelie per say, but when the front is light enough, the intermittent contact with the ground can cause a tank slapper, especially if during a transition from left to right.

I've felt the front end skipping/skimming along and the steering dampner definitely helps to keep things straight.

P

The Gixxer, the last remaining tie to track days of lore.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 01:08 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to slowrat
would any kind of bike do a tank slapper? if so, how come steering dampers arent available for all bikes?

"Don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die".---Men's restroom, Murphy's, Champaign, IL
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 01:21 AM

Geometry My Dear Watson

Quote:
Originally posted by slowrat
would any kind of bike do a tank slapper? if so, how come steering dampers arent available for all bikes?
The answer is that the geometry of the suspension determines the likelihood of a tankslapper. Any bike can do one, especially when you set down a long wheelie, but the propensity for any bike to do one just under heavy acceleration or rough road is based on the geometry (rake and trail I believe) thus every bike being different, some demand a damper. Also, keep in mind that Suzuki got in a bit of trouble with the UK model TL1000 when it first came out...so they have made the damper standard on the gixxers and the tl's

P

The Gixxer, the last remaining tie to track days of lore.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 01:28 AM

Thumbs up street rider...

like me who doesnt really see a finish line need not worry about a tank slapper... thanks for the info...

"Don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die".---Men's restroom, Murphy's, Champaign, IL
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 07:03 AM

Re: street rider...

Quote:
Originally posted by slowrat
like me who doesnt really see a finish line need not worry about a tank slapper... thanks for the info...
Ahhh, but ya don't have to race to get into a TANKSLAPPER..ya could ride for yrs. w/o one, like life it self, ya just never know...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 07:49 AM

Thumbs up Re: Re: street rider...

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer 4

Ahhh, but ya don't have to race to get into a TANKSLAPPER..ya could ride for yrs. w/o one, like life it self, ya just never know...
Point taken. Thanks for the heads up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode