I can't understand this - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Question I can't understand this

Why is it, that out of all the manufature boards, this the best of em all.......is dead.. is that our bikes are just too reliable, too good lookin to improve on..just to fast to upgrade parts..or could it be that we are to tired from those long riding days ??

O.K...on my last post, I asked about a airbox mod. and after lots of reading, and asking questions from other Gixxer owners that have done these mods..I've decided to do the following..

1..change my sprockets, 2 up in the rear, frt. remains stock..switch to a DID X ring chain.

2..Do a airbox mod, which entails opening up the air duct, for increased air flow, which will change to power curve, I already have a K&N filter..

3...The airbox mod requires a jet change to Stage II, and can be tricky...we'll see.

4....Go to a Full System..not sure which one yet..I'm lookin

5..Redegree the cams, setting will be determened

6..Advance ingnition

With all this going on..what I'm looking for is ..more tourqe, and more hp. in the midrange..so do I do a dyno test after each mod..could get expensive..or test it by the seat of my pants???

I will get a Dyno done at some point, at least one before, and after the mods, if I go with a Dyno jet kit, I get a cupon, good for 1 dyno run, but guys I've talked to..say the Yosh jet kit is the way to go...

So...any coments.....pros/cons???

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 05:58 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to suzmcman
As far as the dyno runs what I would do to cut the cost is make one run before you start you work and one after you are done. The problem is the only thing that matters is the end product and your times from racing / seat of the pants. As far as jet kits I have come to like the Factory jet kits but all of them are very much alike any more with only minor changes with each kit. Just one thing to be aware of the more you changes at once the harder it will be to fine tune the bike. My suggestion is to make one change and test even if it is by the seat of the pants so you have a feel of what is going on. Once you do that you at least have a idea of were you are at before you make your next mod. This way you will get the feel of what is working and what needs to be changed. If you do all the mods at the same time you could end up pulling your hair out trying to figure out what killed your power. Of course if you had unlimited dyno time like I do I would do all the mods on the dyno and every mod would be tested and fine tuned as I was doing it to try to get the best end product with all the mods working together.

Todd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Upper Sandusky, Ohio
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 06:05 PM

Or you could just buy the Gixxer 1000 and have more power than you need !

Better Smeg than dead

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 06:47 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
Cool Re: I can't understand this

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer 4

With all this going on..what I'm looking for is ..more tourqe, and more hp. in the midrange..so do I do a dyno test after each mod..could get expensive..or test it by the seat of my pants???

I will get a Dyno done at some point, at least one before, and after the mods, if I go with a Dyno jet kit, I get a cupon, good for 1 dyno run, but guys I've talked to..say the Yosh jet kit is the way to go...

So...any coments.....pros/cons???
If you want to get the most out of your bike, tune it on a dyno.
Give Bamm & Ken a call at BAMM-BAMM High Performance Motorcycle Repair 9032 Artesia Blvd. Bellflower, CA 90706
(562)876-2020

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2001, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Talking

suzmcman..good point..I was trying to spend the least, I could get away with..so, I will dyno w/o mods, then do each one, and go by a seat of the pants test and continue, till I'm happy, then do a final run on the dyno...thanks

Smeg...that wouldn't be nearly as much fun..not to mention way more $$$$$$...but it's not a bad idea

Fatman..I tried their website, but had some probs..you happen to know what they charge for a dyno run??...Thanks

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2001, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer 4

Fatman..I tried their website, but had some probs..you happen to know what they charge for a dyno run??...Thanks
I'll find out, they just set up shop a few months ago. Bamm should have the dyno up and running by now.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2001, 03:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i thought you were buying a mille?

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2001, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by FZR400Tony
i thought you were buying a mille?
I am...but I think I'm going to keep my gixxer for a track bike, and I'd like to experiment a bit with trying to get more out of it, not a bunch of hp, but a more well rounded curve..ya know sort of an experimental toy

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2001, 08:27 AM

Bamm will be getting their dyno on friday. I'll let you know when its set up. Regular dyno runs will probably cost $30.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2001, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Talking Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Fatman
Bamm will be getting their dyno on friday. I'll let you know when its set up. Regular dyno runs will probably cost $30.
Appreciate that Fatman..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode