Airbox Mod - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2001, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Question Airbox Mod

I need some feed back on this..97 gixxer 600, cut out the exsisting opening to allow more air to reach the carbs, this would also require a rejet, and a needle adjustment. I nned more toure, and more midrang hp..So anyone done this ? Also I plan on going 2 up on the rear sprocket, from stock, and do a 520 conversion.

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2001, 05:49 PM
Dad

Hammer, at Border's, in the same section that has the Code books is a book titled something like Sportbike Performance, author's last name Cameron. It's similar in size to the Code books, has a ZX-11 on the front cover. That book explains a lot of the principles of operation and performance mods for sportbike engines, suspensions, etc. It might be worth a look to help with the background if you're going to start making changes. I don't own it but have glanced through it and it appeared to have some good basic info.

As far as the airbox mods go, I'd be very slow to touch that in any way unless you have a very specific mod that's tried and proven. Most air boxes are an extension of the whole intake system and what may look to be a problem or an insignificant looking part, may in fact be critical to good performance. As I recall, there was some detail on that subject in that book. Good Luck.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

Last edited by Dad; 11-24-2001 at 06:14 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 12:36 PM

Hammer
ive heard of people trying to open up their air box only to end up putting tape over the holes they drilled. It looks like it would be easy to open up your gixxer air box, but as you know, if its too good to be true, it probably is. I think i would leave it alone!! If you convert to a 520, would you be interested in selling your stock stuff??

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by biggie
Hammer
ive heard of people trying to open up their air box only to end up putting tape over the holes they drilled. It looks like it would be easy to open up your gixxer air box, but as you know, if its too good to be true, it probably is. I think i would leave it alone!! If you convert to a 520, would you be interested in selling your stock stuff??
Hey biggie, appreciate the input, but I've talked to lots of people bout the airbox mod, including guys that have done it, and my mechanic, who..as I've said before..use to wrench for a well known race team..so I plan on gettin that done, I'll post the results asap..as for the 520 conv..well I/we decided to retain the 525, I just upgraded to a gold DID X ring, and stayed with the steel sprockets.did go up 2 in the rear though .for the lasting factor..so I'll be keeping the stock stuff, which was in great shape..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 12:54 PM

Sorry for misinforming you Just what i had heard. Let me know what kind of results you have. I might just have to give it a try myself, but ill let you give it a shot first!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by biggie
Sorry for misinforming you Just what i had heard. Let me know what kind of results you have. I might just have to give it a try myself, but ill let you give it a shot first!
hey no prob bro, I always welcome input.. The one area that's kinda sticky..is the rejetting part, sometimes requires a few tries to get it right. have you changed your gearing yet ? if not go up 2 or 3 in the rear, keep the countshaft sprocket stock..maybe add a slip on??

And yeah..I'l let ya know what happens

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 01:24 PM
PJ1

Hammer- want to go faster? Get a R6!!

00 Blue R6
NESBA #387
AMA Expert #237
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by PJ1
Hammer- want to go faster? Get a R6!!
What is it with you guys..just like to rag on the ol man here, or what ? Hmmm what's that sayin..90% rider 10% bike

Anyway..got nuthin against Yams, use to race em... Also HP isn't the main focus here, it's to try and get more midrange, and more tourqe..
have a nice day...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Pic of the airbox mod

This was done on a TLR, but it the same thing, note the cutout is the same size as the K&N filter..inside diamiter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-016s.jpg (29.6 KB, 131 views)

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 01:37 PM
PJ1

not much goin on tonight, so I was just tryin to get a little rise out of ya. I cut the air filter on my 90 gsx600, not much difference. What about the K&N for your bike? Does it come with the center already cut?

00 Blue R6
NESBA #387
AMA Expert #237
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode