Fender elimation kits - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Fender elimation kits

I want to get rid of that lovely black plastic under the tail of my bike. I looked into the kits and they wanted 140$ for directions on how to CUT the plastic... and I think a plate bracket... ug, I dont think so, not when I can do it myself for free + the cost of some new blinkers...What I want to know is if anyone has bought the kit, and do you still have the directions... Im looking for something to go by...I have a general idea on how I want to do it. but Im still a little afraid to start cutting up my bike! Or if anyone has any pics of what they did to maybe give me some inspiration...pretty please?? Thank you!
~Melody

Men.....
They all start out like grapes, and it's our job to stomp on them and keep them in the dark until they mature into something you'd like to have dinner with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 05:26 AM

Melody, you can always buy another rear fender. Don't have any pics for you, but I just figured out where and how to mount the plate, then started hacking to leave just enought room for mounting. Looks SO much better. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Scooter...
I have ALMOST gotten enough courage to just start chopping on it...but I just cant BEAR to think how mad I'd be if I messed up. and yes I know I could buy a new fender...but why waste the money just from being impatiant??? Also, I dont have the money to spend...I have a BUNCH of other things going on with my bike and Id hate to have to re-learn the old lesson on how to leave good enough alone... Know what Im saying??? I just really want to have a idea in my head...and Im just not sure about it yet...thanks again!

Men.....
They all start out like grapes, and it's our job to stomp on them and keep them in the dark until they mature into something you'd like to have dinner with.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 03:22 PM

Melody, ...it's real easy. I know..easy for a MAN to say.. (jk) anyway, remove your licence plate holder(bracket), and hold it up as high on the fender as possible, if ya have 3 holes for mounting..then mark them..at this time it's easy to CUT the un needed fender, scribe a line..and WHACK, use a hack saw, or what ever means ya have to cut with, file it so it becomes smooth, remount the lic. plate, and shazamm...custom fender

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 11:45 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
dremel is the best tool for this, wear something old, the melted plastic will stick to your clothes.

if you wanna see pics of my bike, click on the "me" link below, hit pics, click on the gsx-r and there's a pic of my fender cutting. and one of my f2's tail as well.

the kits should include a tin box that everything mounts to as well as the directions for cutting the fender, so don't follow the directions for an eliminator kit.

i liked doing it myself because it left me some options for turnsignals, which i still haven't figured out yet.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 12:47 AM

well, depending on the quality of the plastic fender, I prefer using an X-acto knife for the method of cutting. I cut my fender and my wife's EX500 with an X-acto knife and it was just too easy. Take your time and the blade will stay straight, but it's easy to trim minor mistakes. Locate where you want your license plate to be. Mark with a Sharpie marker and a straight edge where you want the final cut to be. Then make your first cut about 1-2 inches below that as kind of a gross "get this fender out of my way" deal to make it easier for the final cut. Then you can make your final cut. You can also make several cuts along the way to get a feel for handling the knife. I also prefer the knife because when you are finished, you don't have to do a whole lot of smoothing of the edges. Drill the holes for then mount your license plate. When I cut my wife's I didn't have to do any smoothing, just a little trimming where I didn't keep the blade straight. Unless you're gonna go with a Eurobikes type tailsection, you shouldn't ever have to buy a kit to trim your fender. I'm gonna shut up now.

Will wheelie for food............

Last edited by RuffStuff; 11-20-2001 at 12:56 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 01:50 AM
elo

Send a message via Yahoo to elo
Arrow

We first used a hack saw, and cut it about .5" lower than we wanted it. From there, we used the Dremel tool, and a big metal file to clean up the cut and take it up as short as we wanted. This left still enough room to put the turn signals back without having to drill into the bodywork. (I'm not a big fan of the teardrop shaped flushmouted rear indicators).

About 2 months ago, I found a fender eliminator kit from Extreme Grafix in Canada that was extremely reasonable. I think around $60.

Erica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Your one stop source for all things pocketbike!

-Official Website for the SouthWest Association of Pocketbikers
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2001, 07:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to nhfirefighter13
ExtremeGraphicsfsmd makes some good undertail kits. Quality is excellent. Had one on my 929 before I got the undertail exhaust and liked it a lot. As far as tail lights go...how about getting a trailer light kit and integrate you brake lightss with your directionals? I'm not familiar with what your bike has for brake lights but if you have 2 bulbs it'd only cost you roughly $12 for the integrator...which you can get at any WalMart store.

Don't play with fire....Let a professional have all the fun.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 01:50 AM

So I everyone feels that you don't need to buy a kit and it is easy enough to do by yourself right? I just want to know because soon I will be cutting mine down as well.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 05:51 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to slowrat
Thumbs up

I used the $0 eliminator type... hack saw borrowed from a friend and a steady hand...

"Don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die".---Men's restroom, Murphy's, Champaign, IL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode