The Lowdown on the Gixxer 750 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to QuikMike
The Lowdown on the Gixxer 750

I need the lowdown on the big Gixxer 750....Now, I know that this is the suzuki forum, but I would appreciate honesty...I am looking into getting a Gixxer 750....I have heard and read about different issues people have with theirs(tranny, 2nd gear, etc..). I don't want to buy a problem, but I like the Gixxer 750...I am a newbie, but I am taking the MSF courses, I am 5'10", 200lbs and 25(soon to be 26) years old...I think I am pretty mature and sensible...anyways, I would like for Gixxer 750 owners to be upfront and honest with me about the bike and if it is a good bike for someone like me.....remember, honesty people!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spawn107s.jpg (14.0 KB, 580 views)

I feel the need....the need for SPEED!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 11:27 AM

Re: The Lowdown on the Gixxer 750

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikMike
I need the lowdown on the big Gixxer 750....Now, I know that this is the suzuki forum, but I would appreciate honesty...I am looking into getting a Gixxer 750....I have heard and read about different issues people have with theirs(tranny, 2nd gear, etc..). I don't want to buy a problem, but I like the Gixxer 750...I am a newbie, but I am taking the MSF courses, I am 5'10", 200lbs and 25(soon to be 26) years old...I think I am pretty mature and sensible...anyways, I would like for Gixxer 750 owners to be upfront and honest with me about the bike and if it is a good bike for someone like me.....remember, honesty people!!!!
Well, I ride an older 600 Gixxer, so I can't give ya any info. re: problems...BUT, I would like ya to reconcider, getting a smaller bike, even if ya weighed 275lbs. that 750 has WAY too much power, and even if ya rode conservitive, it's the varibles, that get ya into trouble, i.e your natural reactions, one twist of the throttle, at the wrong time, a panic stop, all the a-holes that try to bait ya into gasing it. I'll not harp on this subject, tho I'd like too, for your own good..still a 500, or SV650 would be a MUCH better choice. The street is a whole new world, and at times can be very unforgiving, and even fatal. Please reconcider. And for the 1 or 2 of you out there, that started on bigger bikes, and will no doubt, have a rebuttal, there #'s don't lie...you may have dodged the bullet so far.......

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 12:05 PM

Thumbs up

Ok hold on there. I think the Gixxer 750 is a fine choice. Don't let someone persuade you to get a smaller bike because they are afraid to ride theirs. I started on a Honda VTR1000 as the first bike I EVER rode. I am glad that I did, because it allowed me to start easy and build my way up to the good stuff as I aquired the skills (wheelies, burnouts, ...). On the other hand, if I had started on a 600, I would have out grown it too soon and be pissed off that I did.

If anything, I would suggest getting a bigger bike (gixxer 1000). What the hell? Your responible, and know when to back off the throttle right? My gixxer 1000 is just what the doctor ordered. Lots of power for when you want it. Just because you have it doesn't mean you have to use it - if you don't want to.

Good luck.

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ponyboy
Ok hold on there. I think the Gixxer 750 is a fine choice. Don't let someone persuade you to get a smaller bike because they are afraid to ride theirs. IGood luck.
Who said anything about being affraid to ride their bike?? Duh, wanna borrow my glass's??? You have no idea, how I ride, just cause ya got a liter, it doesn't mean that your, skilled, fast, or any better than a rider on a smaller bike, by the way, have you, or CAN you test the limits of that Gixxer??? I didn't think so.. First, I have Mike's best interest in mind, I'd like to see him, or anyone else, ride for a long time, and w/o any problems, what your suggesting, is to invite problems, so who's best interest are you lookng out for, it certainly isn't Mike's if it were, you wouldn't make that statment. Would you also recomend a 180 mph car for a new driver???

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 12:34 PM

Give me a break! If the guy is - as he stated - a responsible person, he should be able to figure it out.

As for your personal attacks on me, yes I can ride my bike thank you very much. Riding at the track is something I do several times a month, and have attended 4 racing schools in 2 years.

I was just trying to save the guy from buying something that he is going to be unhappy with. Everyone is entitled to an opinion Osama!

post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ponyboy
Give me a break! If the guy is - as he stated - a responsible person, he should be able to figure it out.

As for your personal attacks on me, yes I can ride my bike thank you very much. Riding at the track is something I do several times a month, and have attended 4 racing schools in 2 years.

I was just trying to save the guy from buying something that he is going to be unhappy with. Everyone is entitled to an opinion Osama!

Me attacking YOU, read you post again...

Just because someone is a responsibe person, doesn't mean that they will be safe, remeember the varibles. Maybe a new rider could get away with a 600, 750, or even a liter, but why take the RISK. Personally, I'd rather spend the extra $$ for a bigger bike later, then take a chance of spending it on medical bills, or worse..a funneral..maybe you are the exeption, but 99.99% of the new riders NEED a smaller bike to start on. So..I'd ask you to concider the big picture, not just the $$ factor, after all, we talking about someones well being, not to metion the FUN factor Doe this make sense??

Guess I did come down a little hard on ya, but there have been so many negitive things happen with new riders starting out on fast bikes, and wind up crashing ect.....Sorry for rant

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 12:59 PM

See what ya started mike ? . Just buy the bike that you like, cause it's like a wife, some are just faster than others, but all can be dangerous.

How fast can I make this thing anyway ?
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 01:02 PM

No hard feelings. Your probably right, I guess I am just really big on the money factor. When you buy a bike and try and sell it too soon, you usually end up losing cash on the deal.

Its good to get all sides of the issue, so I do appreciate your responses and your views on the topic. I hope nothing bad happens to anyone while they are riding (new or experienced).

post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 01:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
At 5'10" and 200lbs with responsible control you could handle the horsepower of a 750cc Gixxer. It is not typically a good starter bike. It does have some characteristics that can get you in trouble. The way they deliver power can make them difficult to learn on. I wouldn't worry too much about the reliability issues. There doesn't seem to me many problems with the Gixxers that are well maintained and not overly abused.

Good luck.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 06:39 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but.

Last year when the GSXR750 came out, it knocked all the critics on their collective asses and won Bike of the Year honors in all (most??) comparisons. It was compared to the 929 and the R1.
In both the 1/4 mi and top end the Gsxr750 beat the litre bikes!

You can't compare learning on it to starting on a VTR cause they're not even in the same league.

The Gixer is not a good starter bike, ( it may be the closest thing you can get to a perfect track bike) the same as an R1 or a 929 wouldn't be an ideal starter bike.

A VTR1000 would be a better choice, but I'd personally look a an Kawi 750 Ninja.

The older I get,
The better I was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode