TL R or S or inline four - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Question TL R or S or inline four

I will be in the market for my next bike in the next couple of months. I really like the looks and feel of the TL R & S, but have never riden a V-twin. I have owned two inline fours in the past ('92 Seca II & '92 Kantuna 600). I liked the Katana alot by the way. It wasn't hard edged but it was user friendly and I was able to keep up with the guys that had the "good" bikes because they couldn't use theres as well as I could. Anyway, If I opt for one of the TL bikes which one is more suited for daily street use and occasional touring. I am very much aware of the numbers, ie BHP, wieght, etc. But what really counts, is first hand experienced feed back from the owners. If I had the $$$$, I would just buy all the bikes I like, but I don't live in a perfect world. Thanks for any help.

KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 09:20 AM
Pete

The TLS is better suited for "daily street use and occasional touring." As for making your mind up about a v-twin vs. an inline-four, the best advice I can give is to get a test ride on a v-twin. Don't let someone else make the decision for you.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 09:26 AM
elo

Send a message via Yahoo to elo
Arrow

There is little difference between the TLr and TLs when you buy them new off the showroom floor. Personally I prefer the TLs, not only because the motor is awesome but because it doesn't look like every other bike out there. IMHO the half naked version is very sexy.

Inline 4 vs. V-twin... tough comparison. You'd almost have to test ride one to understand the difference. I know a heck of a lot of people that have gone from the i4 to the v twin and don't ever want to go back. Plenty others are happy on their "more powerful" i4's and don't want the grunt of the twins. Personally, I don't want to own another inline 4 bike, I've fallen totally in love with my "TL's little sister."

Erica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Your one stop source for all things pocketbike!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Official Website for the SouthWest Association of Pocketbikers

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 05:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to suzmcman
I have had both V-twins and in-line fours. Last year I sold my 97 green TLS due to the vibration it produced. Due to several injuries to my right arm the vibration would bother me after about a two hour ride. Since I like to be able to use the brake and throttle I went back to a in-line four which is much smoother. I did however love the power of the TLS but watch out for that low rmp cough that happened to me now and again. Nothing like pulling away from a traffic light and starting a corner and have it almost stall and then take off. If a easy to ride bike is what you want this is not the one. Once the oil in the dampner gets hot the back end will move around on you and could cause you problems. A Penski set-up would work the best on the rear as we found out racing up in Michigan. Also no matter how long you play on a dyno I don't think that you will ever get a nice smooth throttle control over the bike. It seems to be to quick or to slow of a response and the opposite of what you want and need. But if given the chance I might even buy my TLS back from the guy I sold it to just to play on for short trips and stoppies with the killer brake set-up I had on the front.

Todd
Upper Sandusky, Ohio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode