gsxr600 vs r6... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to dash
Post gsxr600 vs r6...

i know you guys have probably answered this question a million times but im about to get my first bike. dont tell me its too big for a first cuz i ride my friends '01 r6 and its comfortable for me. anyway, id like to know what you guys think of the two and im going to ask in the yamaha forum also. the yamaha homepage says the r6 has 130hp, how does this compare with the gsxr600? maybe thats hp to the crank, i dont know. please tell me what you think. thanks
dash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 09:34 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DelCorso
Talking R6 vs. GSXR600

Hey dash, I think the R6 has 120 HP but Rear wheel HP is has only 99 vs. 101 HP for the Gixxer. I have an R6 and I love it, I also like the GSXR and don't think that performance wise the 2 are very different. I would go w/ what feels more comfortable for you, sit on both & see what you think. Personally I think the R6 is a better looking bike & thats why I bought it, so go w/ what you like better & I wouldn't bother getting caught up in specifics. Just my opinion so what ever you decide on getting good luck & happy riding.........
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 06:18 AM

i have to agree with that comment, those bikes are to close to compare, it really does come down to what you like more, either way great choice in bikes
good luck!

two wheels are better than four wheels....but one wheel is better still.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 08:38 PM

Just boought a GSX-R600 and have ridden it all evening. I sat on all the 600's and tossed around which one to get for about 4 months. I know that is a long time but my waiting paid off in the form of a GREAT deal and an INCREDIBLE bike.

This is my first bike, too. I sat on the R6, the ZX-6R and the CBRF4i all in the same dealer. I found the R6 to be the most uncomfortable, while the CBR was the most comfortable. I then went and sat on the Gixxer. Felt great and I was surprised because I thought they were about the same seating position with the Gixxer's being more agressive.

Either way, I don't think you will regret your decision. All these bikes are so close to each other in performance, only the more experienced track guys would be able to differentiate.

All I can tell you is, the Gixxer was my favorite, looks wise, from day1. That was the one I went with in the end. At this early stage, I don't regret it one bit.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 07:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to HeckLer1979 Send a message via Yahoo to HeckLer1979
I agree with what the others have said. The 01 R6 has 96.7 bhp and the GSXR600 has 100.5 bhp only 3.8 hp difference (on the streets you won't be able to feel the difference). However, don't go for the numbers go and seat on the bikes you like and you will think/feel different. If you were going to be racing on the tracks then I would understand why you are looking at the numbers; however, if it is only for the streets, you won't feel the difference. Unless, you are an experience rider. I mean a lot of experience. (Going fast on a straight line is nothing everyone can that).

"If you do not understand my silence, you will not understand my words."
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 09:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to sagekiller666
I heard...

r6 97.1hp
gsxr 103hp

2001 GSXR 1000 - TRE - K&N - Yoshimuira Tri-Oval Ti - Rem SET - Flush Mounts - Tail Light Converter

2001 GSXR 600 - TRE - K&N air filter - Power Commander III - Ohlins rear suspention - sharkskinz bodywork - 520 Conv Sprockets - Gold on Gold DID 520ERV2 chain - full akropovic exaust - scotts damper - nitrate coated forks - race-tec revalving - zero gravity clear double bouble - power shifter - vortex rearsets - CA Reg Removed - custom S bend for pipe - tectronics tac - 2 SS brake lines front - SS brake line rear - frame/swingarm/bar-end sliders - Michelin Pilot Race Tires - and it is only the beggining :)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 03:15 AM

1st off, what color did you get on your new gixxer? I love the blue and white color but i heard that the white wheels are very hard to keep clean. Is this true b/c the wheels are one thing that just sets off the whole apperance. Any reply would be appreciated
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 04:09 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ninjapilot750
Talking R6 or Gixxer 6

I can tell you this, I race bikes (Yamaha now) & I am really impressed with the over performance of the R6 & R1. I recently bought the R1 over the 6 just for that, more horses & better performance. The R6 in pre-production tests by Motorcyle Magazines & others (with pro riders) most thought the R6 was the better all around bike even out classing some 750's & 1000cc bikes. I know from experience that the R6 without professional tuning can be a little squirrly at times but if you take the time to learn the bike & your skills on it you'll be fine.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 07:52 PM

Keeping White Wheels clean

I thought about that when I bought my bike too. If you use Plexus Plastic Cleaner and Polish. and put the bike on a stand and just clean one spot at a time while spinning the wheel when it is up on the stand you will be fine. Another cleaner that I have bought, but hav enot used yet is S100. The directions say you have to put the stuff on, then rinse it off making sure you remove all of it. I found the Plexus easier to use and it keeps the white whell really white.

The more you keep cleaning it, the easier the grease from the chain that sprays onto the wheel, will come off.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 10:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to HeckLer1979 Send a message via Yahoo to HeckLer1979
Quote:
Originally posted by sagekiller666
I heard...

r6 97.1hp
gsxr 103hp
You heard wrong!

"If you do not understand my silence, you will not understand my words."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode