Polishing a '00 F4 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Question

I have a friend who polished his last two bikes, a 96 Ninja and a 99 Ninja. He told me he would help me polish my frame after he helped this other guy with a F4 first. However, when he tried helpin' the kid he told me that it was way too hard and they had only gotten half way through one side of the frame and sent it out to get finished. Well anyway I asked around and there is a garage who will polish my whole frame and my rims for about 1500$ is this about right. And after my friend,who had polished two bikes prior and then had trouble with an F4, will it come out okay on my bike? Does anyone have any pics of a polished F4?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 07:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to Kane
JEEZ man...you must REALLY want it polished badly! That seems awfully expensive, but polishing IS a chore that does take time to do right!

Sometimes folks have a hard time removing the anodizing (or powdercoating, depending on what you are polishing)...so the frustration sets in.

If I were you, I would look around on articles on polishing and maybe attempt to do it yourself..unless you have $1500 sitting around that you just WANT to pay out. You could at least do the rims yourself...I believe the 2000 F4 has the three spoke wheels right? No problem. It's the older wheels that posed the huge problem to polish...the ones with the six spokes.

Good Luck!

Roll! Roll! Roll!

1999 35th Anniversary Limited Edition Mustang GT...FAST!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 01:45 PM

Arrow

I don't want a polished frame but I was thinking about doing the wheels. Any suggestions?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 07:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to bbarnes719 Send a message via Yahoo to bbarnes719
http://www.sportbikeguy.com

that site has information on polishing rims--and some other information that is good to know...

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again.
--James R. Cook
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 01:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to VTL1180NY Send a message via Yahoo to VTL1180NY
What are the going rates for polishing? I am curious because I do polishing myself and have been asked by a local shop if I wanted to do some bikes for his customers and I have no clue what is the going rate...

Why was your friend having so many problems? Was he trying to polish it by hand or with a machine? Did you attempt the wheels yet? The aluminum under the paint is already polished on a Honda, just have to carefully use paint stripper and remove all the paint. I'd just polish the lips of the rims myself, looks better.... The frame shouldn't be that difficult, you are going to have to grind any of the rough casting with a machine, trying to do it by hand with sandpaper is nuts... You could use an orbital sander with either emory or just regular wet/dry paper, you are probably going to have to start out with around 80 grit and just keep working your way up... I use grinding rolls and different coumpounds to work my way up, it's quicker that the orbital method but if you don't know what you are doing, you will have a wavy and gouged frame.... Let me know what he was doing and if I can help you fix the problem...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 05:20 PM

Just get aircraft stripper and some mothers aluminum polish.
I did both wheels in 6 hours and for 15 bucks. I didn't even take the wheels off. Don't pay somebody to do it. If I can do it, anybody can!!!!:angry:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg polish inside.jpg (60.4 KB, 150 views)

The Poet that didn't know it...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 10:31 PM

hey there how much of the lip did ya strip and polish.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 08:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
You can only polish to the line before the spokes. After that, you will be sorry!

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 08:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
WHOA...... DaBatty, in your motorcycles it says you got a '02 954.

954 frames are painted. It will be much harder than an F4. Unless you want to pay to have it done, don't even attempt it. IMO

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 02:57 PM

hey duessel, you mean the 1 inch strip of the wheel just before the spokes that needs to be taped off.

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode