Too many miles? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to lostcause3
Question

Im looking into purchasing a 1993 Honda CBR F2 with 28,000 miles on it. The buy price is bluebook value ($3,500). The bike is in pristine condition cosmetically and supposedly great condition mechanically with new tires and fresh oil. I of course will check all of this before the transaction is made. Despite the supposed overall good condition of the bike is this still too high of mileage for the money and/or for a first bike? Also, what components might I expect to need service first if I were to purchase the bike? Any info is much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg houstonbike.jpg (87.9 KB, 261 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 06:05 PM
Dad

A picture can hide a lot, but if that bike is as clean, even pristine as it appears in the picture, I'd be inclined to go for it. It appears to be totally stock, even the side reflectors in place. If it's really that clean, it would say that it has been cared for and therefore that mileage is no problem. Is it adult owned? I don't know for sure on that year, but some of the bikes had cam chain and tensioner problems that might show up around that mileage. Those aren't too hard to replace though, and not something to panic about. If you're really serious about it, ask the owner if he would ride it to a dealer or shop of your choice and have it looked at by them, with that being the only contingency on completing the deal. Just some thoughts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 07:45 PM

my hydraulic chain tensioner went sour right at 37,000 miles. APE manufactures a replacement manual tensioner for about 75 bucks. the bike, sounds like a good deal to me. check the obvious things, before purchase, but the hondas are reliable. i have 67000 miles 0n my 91600f2 and 33900 on my 93 900rr----with no major problems.

TWO gettin sum

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 10:59 PM

HEY!! THAT IS MY VERY FIRST STREET BIKE AND THE SAME COLORS TOO!! I LOVED THAT BIKE even though it lost my license for me..

I still cant believe the value that bike has held! I paid $4800 for mine new in '92 and they're still going for most of that!

Anyway, I would not be worried about the miles if the bike clears a close inspection. It's a Honda! As a rule, I dont think the odometer should have any bearing on your opinon of any bike. --> A bike can have very low miles and be tore up or it can have high miles and be in great shape.

Anyway, that is only 3500 miles per year, that isn't high mileage in my book...

"It's like Dancing sitting down. Squeeze-tap-release-twist. Left hand-right foot-left hand-right hand"
~James Patterson

Kyle J.-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2001, 06:43 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
1888fastlap.com sells the manual cam chain tensioner for even less.

it's great bike. the miles are high, but i rather a bike that was ridden and loved that one that sat with no one caring about it at all.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2001, 04:15 PM

Exclamation 2 much mileage!

I don't know about that much mileage. I would want 2 hear about what the owner did 2 it interms of replacing parts and any recomended work that may have taken place i.e. replacing the chaine, and sprokets, carb., and jet work, etc. Not 2 mention new batery, tires, brakes, etc.
U did not mention what the sale price was. U only mentioned the book value.
I am selling my 1990 CBR 1000F, haven't decided yet when and how much, and it's in excellent shape, my price consideration is around $3500, and it has 14K miles. That's my 2 cents. Good luck 2 U!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2001, 04:50 PM

As long as the owner(s) did regular oil/filter changes (every 3000 miles or so), 28,000 miles is nothing. Ask for proof of oil/filter changes. If the owner can't provide proof (like an accurate maintenance log and receipts), you have to decide if you believe they were really done or not

Rossco.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2001, 05:01 PM
Dad

Re: 2 much mileage!

Quote:
Originally posted by BBXX2fast

I am selling my 1990 CBR 1000F, haven't decided yet when and how much, and it's in excellent shape, my price consideration is around $3500, and it has 14K miles. That's my 2 cents. Good luck 2 U!
Let me know a final price when you decide. I have a guy here in Pittsburgh who is looking for one and actually likes the '90 & '91's. Any pics. or additional info?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 09:38 AM

Talking Re: Re: 2 much mileage!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dad

Let me know a final price when you decide. I have a guy here in Pittsburgh who is looking for one ......
OK DAD, once I do, which is in the next week or so, I will
P.M you, or if U should wish U can send me your e-mail address, and I could send U some photos I took last fall of the bike. It's really a nice bike, and ridden well. I hope 2 find it a good home.
My e-mail is [email protected]
Thanks 4 your intrest.
Tarek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode