CBR with new bodywork?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to lostcause3
Question

Hey,
Im a first time buyer/rider looking into purchasing a '96 CBR 600 F3 with around 8000 miles on it for around $4,500. The owner claims the bike is a '96
with '98 plastics on it. I was wondering if this is a common thing to do...changing the plastics for no reason. Should I be suspicious of anything? If
so, what should I check for on the bike? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks a lot. If anyone has some good info on this please reply to... [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 12:37 PM
Squidwannabe

Howsabout I reply right here ?

He probably smashed it, or if it's the smokin joe edition bodywork, he is a poser.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 01:24 PM
Just a girl

I agree with the squidly one. It's probably been crashed pretty good to justify changing all the plastics. Either that, or the owner just liked the 98 plastics better and had money to change them.

Someone else will be better able to tell you what to look for, but I'd be very cautious as it may have been wadded pretty good. Let us know what you decide.

Stacia
'00 CBR F4
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 01:46 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
either that or in 96, it became a racebike and the bodywork was sold off. then around 98, new racebike, and swapped the plastics.

didn't 98 have a tail update?

i'd check to see if it's "square." it'll look straight. have him take the tail pieces off, look for bends in the sub-frame. look at the case covers. shouldn't be scratched. shouldn't 'factory-brand' or tracksport brand covers. shouldn't have pieces of wire twisted through the bolts (safety wire).

is this your first bike? if it is check out activebike.com and find an article about little bikes.

anyway, it doesn't sound smart.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by FZR400Tony; 03-01-2001 at 01:51 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 04:02 PM

I would walk away from any bike that has the wrong bodywork on it. As has been said, it is pretty much guaranteed that it was crashed, raced, or both.

Hey Adam, what's wrong with the Smoking Joe's Edition? My girlfriend has a Smoking Joe's, and I think it is about the nicest graphics ever offered on a street bike. Her's is an original '96 Smoking Joe's, though (the first year for the Smoking Joe's, and the model that commemorates Miguel's '95 championship). Are you calling my girlfriend a poser???

Rossco.

Last edited by Rossco929; 03-01-2001 at 04:06 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 05:24 PM
Squidwannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by Rossco929
Hey Adam, what's wrong with the Smoking Joe's Edition? My girlfriend has a Smoking Joe's, and I think it is about the nicest graphics ever offered on a street bike. Her's is an original '96 Smoking Joe's, though (the first year for the Smoking Joe's, and the model that commemorates Miguel's '95 championship). Are you calling my girlfriend a poser???
lol. Did I say poser ???? I love the Smokin Joe scheme, my favorite cbr's.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 06:24 PM

heres a suggestion if you are really serious about the bike and want it. Take it to a shop and have them look it over for you. Who knows maybe a kid knocked it over and broke some plastic or he liked the looks of the newer panels. Just be cautious and check it out. my hurricane has bad plastic but the rest is in good shape.

huricane600
"dont hesitate accelerate"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode