CBR900RR / 929RR Wheel Swap - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Question

I would like to know if the CBR929RR rear wheel would fit on my 1996 900RR. I believe that the 929 wheel is a 1/2 inch wider. Any comments or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 08:33 PM
Pete

Calspeed, first, welcome to SBW!

Yes, your '96 rear wheel is 5.5" and the 929 is 6". I'm not sure, but I would bet that the width of your swingarm is different than that of the 929's. Why are you considering doing the swap? I would think that a better investment of time and money would be swapping the 16" front rim for a 17 incher.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 12:16 PM

I too have thought about swapping to a wider rear tire, but I think the swingarm is not wide enough. What does switching the front tire from 16" to 17" do?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 03:24 PM

Why do you want the wider rim on the back? A 180 section on the stock rim gives plenty of traction. All you will succeed in doing is making your 900RR steer slower.

Rossco.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 08:22 AM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by Swoll

What does switching the front tire from 16" to 17" do?
Please note that I said "rim," not just the tire. I don't mean to insult your intelligence; I wouldn't want there to be any confusion. Swapping to a 17" rim for one thing will make it easier when shopping for tires, some dealers either don't stock 16" sportbike tires or there choices of tire type are very low. The other advantage comes in the form of handling. Having ridden both a CBR900 with a 16" front wheel, and one with a 17", I thought the 17" equipped bike felt more stable through the turns, and during hard braking; it felt like the front end was more "planted." Mind you, I am no 748_Abuser when it comes to riding, probably more like an RCJohn (i.e., very, very slow ) so opinions will probably vary greatly. I do know that there a lot of CBR900s out there with 17" front wheels.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete

Please note that I said "rim," not just the tire. I don't mean to insult your intelligence; I wouldn't want there to be any confusion. Swapping to a 17" rim for one thing will make it easier when shopping for tires, some dealers either don't stock 16" sportbike tires or there choices of tire type are very low. The other advantage comes in the form of handling. Having ridden both a CBR900 with a 16" front wheel, and one with a 17", I thought the 17" equipped bike felt more stable through the turns, and during hard braking; it felt like the front end was more "planted." Mind you, I am no 748_Abuser when it comes to riding, probably more like an RCJohn (i.e., very, very slow ) so opinions will probably vary greatly. I do know that there a lot of CBR900s out there with 17" front wheels.
mind if this not so bright mechanic hops in on this

ok here goes the reason most ppl swap the 16" front to the 17" is souly an aspect of $$$ a 17" tyre will be cheaper then the 16" it can differ up to $40-$60 on a tyre and then there is the fact that the 17" will be a tad more stable at high speeds.
the 16" front will give you a bit less high speed straight stability but it will give you faster and sharper cornering , more flickabilaty and beter responce then the 17" there for i have chosen to keep my 16" front couse at speeds below the 140mph you dont notice the lesser stabilety compared to the 17" and the more price of the 16" tyre dont weigh up to the to me more important fast steering and flickabilety

and the best argument of all is honda has put massive$$$$$$$$$$$$$ into R&D on the 900RR and then desided on the 16" front weel couse that was the best and any rider that sez that the 17" is beter should get his head examined ok it is more economical (tyres are cheaper) but when it comes to ripping trough twisties noone with a 17" on a 900RR can come close to a 900RR with the 16" front in the corners ok the guy with the 16" will have a harder time at high speeds but not so hard that it weighs up to the corners

final thoughts:
a manufacturer knows what he is doing you cant improve the bike with other weels if you want to gain get forks, rear shock, steering dampner, braied lines sintered pads but dont touch the weels

gorilla at heart forever
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hell_and_devil

final thoughts:
a manufacturer knows what he is doing you cant improve the bike with other weels if you want to gain get forks, rear shock, steering dampner, braied lines sintered pads but dont touch the weels

Not really true. Probably the single biggest improvement you can make to a bike's handling (besides setting up the suspension properly) is to install lighter rims. The reduces unsprung weight, and quickens the bike's steering and acceleration (to a lesser degree). Of course, going from a 16" to a 17" front rim is going in the opposite direction. I would imagine that one of the main reasons Honda went with the 16" front in the first place was to quicken the 900RR's steering by having a lighter wheel/tire package. If it were not so expensive to make strong, light rims, they would surely come stock on all top of the line sport bikes. As it is, a good set will set your back in the neighbourhood of $2000. That being said, I had a '95 CBR900RR with a 16" front wheel, and I found the bike to be incredibly stable. In fact, it was more stable at 160 mph than my 929 is.

Rossco.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 06:03 PM
Pete

Like I said, opinions will vary.

Oh, H&D, thanks for the medical advice.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2001, 12:05 PM

hey pete thatll be $100 for the med advise

gorilla at heart forever
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 08:53 AM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by hell_and_devil
hey pete thatll be $100 for the med advise
The check is in the mail, discounted heavily based on the true value of the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode