Y2K 929 Clutch basket recall - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 06:51 PM
Squidwannabe

Ok, Im usually a day late and a buck short but here goes ...

<Honorably stolen from another website>

[i]It has become apparent that in extreme circumstances, such as repeated racing-style starts, excessive wear to the outer clutch basket on the CBR929RR (U.S.) and CBR900RR-Y (U.K.) could cause it to fracture, resulting in the loss of engine drive.
Honda has developed a replacement clutch basket assembly and is currently writing to owners informing them that the new item will be fitted free of charge to the affected models at any authorised Honda dealer.

So far there have been only five reported incidents world-wide.

Strong clutch disk judder may occur at high engine rpm when slipping the clutch, which can cause the clutch outer to fail. Typical failure results in several large sections cracking and eventually separating from the clutch outer.

Additionally, the clutch lift lever shaft does not have sufficient strength, and stress concentration at the machined end of the shaft can cause the shaft to crack or break.

To correct this condition, a new clutch outer, clutch disk, judder spring, judder spring seat, and clutch lifter lever must be installed.

AFFECTED UNITS

All (U.S. or otherwise) model year 2000 CBR929RR's.

The following model year 2001 CBR929RR/REs:

JH2SC440*1M100001 to JH2SC440*1M103117
JH2SC441*1M100001 to JH2SC441*1M100434
JH2SC443*1M100001 to JH2SC443*1M101150
JH2SC444*1M100001 to JH2SC444*1M100126

American Honda will mail letters to all identified owners of 2000 and 2001 CBR929RRs informing them of the recall. Owners will be instructed to call their authorized Honda dealer and make an appointment to have their CBR929RRs repaired.[i]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 06:53 PM
Squidwannabe

I just wanna say, 5 incidents globally and they conduct a worldwide recall ? Im buying a Honda!! .... No just kidding
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the info, Adam. I still haven't received my recall notice yet (I got the one about the gas line, but haven't had the recall done yet). I can attest to the part about the clutch lift lever not having sufficient strength. Mine snapped on me. Luckily it happened in the parking lot at work, and not 150 miles away from home.

Rossco.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 06:48 PM

My friend steve broke the clutch lifter lever on his 929 last year while I was riding with him. he had to start it rolling and not use the clutch to get it home. He took it to the local dealer and they said that none of the clutch parts were under warranty and that was due to abuse.

Now our local dealer is nothing more than an organization of thieves but that is just rediculous. How do you abuse the clutch lifter lever? Pull in on the clutch too hard? Fortunately it is the same part as a 900RR and our local hole in the wall shop had one of those and gave it to him. I'm sure he will be pissed when he gets the recall notice.

Luke
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 08:24 PM
Founder

Squid,

uuummm... I posted this in the "News and Rumors" forum 4 days ago. It's also posted on our front page (News and Rumors)

https://www.sportbikeworld.com/showth...&threadid=7456

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 04:57 AM
Moderator - Honda Forum

Thumbs up change your name...

hey adam maybe you should change your name to reporterwannabe!!

kidding man... i'm usally alot more behind than you, apparently you get the news in Quebec before we do in Nova Scotia

Nick
"Stupid Hurts!!"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Troublemaker400
My friend steve broke the clutch lifter lever on his 929 last year while I was riding with him. he had to start it rolling and not use the clutch to get it home. He took it to the local dealer and they said that none of the clutch parts were under warranty and that was due to abuse.

Now our local dealer is nothing more than an organization of thieves but that is just rediculous. How do you abuse the clutch lifter lever? Pull in on the clutch too hard? Fortunately it is the same part as a 900RR and our local hole in the wall shop had one of those and gave it to him. I'm sure he will be pissed when he gets the recall notice.

Luke

The dealer I bought my bike from told me the exact same thing, so I decided to just buy the part and fix it myself (it was onyl $37.00). Since it was not a warranty thing, I went to the closest Honda dealer (not the one where I bought my 929), plunked the broken part on the counter and asked him to order me one. He looked at it, siad he had never seen one of those break before, and told me he would claim it under my warranty. I told him the dealer that I bought my bike from told me it was not covered. He told me, and I quote "They are a bunch of assholes over at (the dealership where I bought my bike). This part is defective, and should be replaced under warranty". It was, without any problems. I still had to install it myself, as Honda would not cover having my bike transported from where it was to the shop, but I was not charged for ithe part, and Honda accepted the warranty claim. I guess I do not have to tell you where I will be buying my next Honda.

Rossco.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 03:57 PM
Squidwannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert
Squid,

uuummm... I posted this in the "News and Rumors" forum 4 days ago. It's also posted on our front page (News and Rumors)

https://www.sportbikeworld.com/showth...&threadid=7456
I posted this thread on the 7th. Nothing like redundancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode