Tire Advice - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

I've put on about 5000 miles on my F4 and it's time to buy some new tires.

I found a killer deal on Dunlop D207 GP's - - both for $300, at a local shop (in stock also). The cheapest I've seen them anywhere else is at least $400 for both. My 3 riding friends swear by these tires, on 2 '99 R6's and a '00 R1. i rode one of the R6's with the GP's and it was almost scary - - the bike leaned so effortlessly. i know the R6 already has a quicker turn in than my F4, but these tires did make a substantial difference.

My second option is to buy the OEM D207's, stock size (rear was $130). I've gotten used to these tires and am now very comfortable on fast turns.

Another option I considered is the OEM D207, but with a 190/50/17 ($144 for the rear). how drastically would this change my handling/balance/stability??

Right now I'm leaning towards the D207 GP's (no pun intended), because of their grippiness and the deal i found. The only thing keeping me from buying these already is that I'm already used to the OEM D207, and GP's seem to handle a little too good for my abilities.

any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks

[Edited by Da Rookie on 01-08-2001 at 07:15 PM]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 06:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to Rob Nance Send a message via Yahoo to Rob Nance
ARGHHHHHH, I hate that, I was typing, and then all of a sudden the typing lagged, then it acts like I highlighted all the text, and naturally I type over the highlighted text. I did not TOUCH my mouse, or hit any alt, ctrl, etc keys, GRRRRR! Starting over, and now I'm mad........

-----------------------------------

Ok, first, I'm confused. You want the bike to be more flickable, yet one of your ideas is to go to a 190 on the back? It is pretty widely known that 190s for anything less than a 900 (still questionable) is more or less for show. Putting a 190 on the back WILL decrease the flickability, maybe just a little, most likely a LOT. Many bikes perform better with 180s. Nevermind the fact that changing a bike's geometry by changing tire sizes in the front or back can really screw up your bikes handling unless you are a pro tuner who has experience with bike setups, like a race mechanic or something.

All that said, I have D207 GPs on my bike that I bought a few weeks ago. I guess my thoughts on this would be where do you live? Is it warm almost all the time? Something I have noticed about these tires the short time I have been riding on them, is they do not warm up very easily. It has been pretty cold around here in TX the past few weeks and I have had real problems with traction. In as high as 50-60 degree weather the rear tire will spin instead of lofting the front wheel up, in full throttle 1st and 2nd gear acceleration. I guess if it's going to be warm where you ride mostly, or you allow appropriate tire warm up time when hitting the twisties, then you should be ok. Just my 2 cents from my short experience with the GP tires.

Rob Nance
Austin, TX
1997 Suzuki GSX-R 750
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 06:46 AM
Squid

Send a message via AIM to jk6672
I personally wouldn't use a GP tire for street use. Even though they are DOT approved they weren't designed for street use. I have the Pilot Sports and from what I've read, including their web site, the sports have just as much, if not more grip on the street than the GP's. Read the Dunlop and Michelin sites and see how they compare their tires. ... .02

John

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 10:40 AM
Squidwannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Nance
ARGHHHHHH, I hate that, I was typing, and then all of a sudden the typing lagged, then it acts like I highlighted all the text, and naturally I type over the highlighted text. I did not TOUCH my mouse, or hit any alt, ctrl, etc keys, GRRRRR! Starting over, and now I'm mad........

Just press ctrl+Z when you do that
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

thanks

I didn't know that a 190 would change things so drastically, so i'll stick to the 180 in the rear.

the weather here in the Bay Area is fairly moderate, although it will rarely get warmer than 65 degrees for a few more months. my buddies have also experienced the same problems with getting their GP's heated up, which is a concern for me.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 11:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to Rob Nance Send a message via Yahoo to Rob Nance
Oh wow, thanks for the tip on ctrl-z, damn! What exactly is that command? Very useful!

Yeah, the tire heat didn't seem to be a problem when it was around 55-60 degrees during the daytime, but even as high as 55-60 at night translated to colder roads without the sunlight, and was really bad. I did a small burnout at one light, to warm it up just a tad, and then proceeded to continue to spin the rear wheel under throttle in 1st gear. I hadn't seen those ill effects of the tire until that cold night.

Rob Nance
Austin, TX
1997 Suzuki GSX-R 750
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 01:09 PM

I would not run 207GPs on the street in the Bay Area. I had a set on my Triumph for track days, and they were wonderful down at the Streets of Willow Springs in the heat. At Laguna Seca they got way greasy when the clouds rolled in and the track cooled off. I wouldn't even want to think about riding them in rain.

The 207GPs are designed for track use, and the hotter they get the better they work, to a point, of course. Stick with the 207ZRs for street use. The 207ZRs are also excellent on the track. Although not as sticky as the GPs, they worked quite well on the ZX6R I rode at a Keith Code school at the Streets of Willow Springs.

"In my opinion, there's nothing in this world/
Beats a '52 Vincent, and a red headed girl."
Richard Thompson
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 01:28 PM
Founder

I agree with the comments above.

207ZRs for the street

GP Stars (A little better than regular GPs) for the track.

And stick to the 180 rear, the 190 IMHO is worthless. The tire has to bend more to fit on the rim, and you loose some of your contact patch when running a 190.

I am currently trying to get my hands on a set of those new Dunlop 208s and will report back once I have had a chance to try em out.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 04:07 PM

Wouldn't that depend on the width of your rim? Do you think Honda put too big a tire on the rear rim of the 929? I have been thinking a lot about going ot a 180 rear from a 190 on the next set of tires I buy. Racers claim it makes the bike turn quicker (which I believe), but I am kind of on the fence.

Rossco.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 05:16 AM

Tires

I agree with the Big Cheese. It would be hard to find a better tire than the Dunlop 207ZR. beware of take off race tires, alot of 207GPs end up on the street this way. Race Tire take offs have changed due to the heat of racing conditions and are very unpredictable on the street. I use both 207GPs and ZRs, the GPs for the race track mainly. I find the ZRs to stick just about as well as the GPs and they are excellent street tires. STAY WITH THE 180 rear!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode