Decisions decisions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Question

OK, I've already formed a little bit of an opinion here but I am calling on the collective experience found here to help me decide.

The question is: Slightly used RC-51 or new 929? Something to take into consideration is that I know and ride with the guy on the RC-51. He owns the dealership and the bike has been meticulously maintained and properly broken in. It has 1400 miles on it. He is selling his used one to claim one of the new ones he has coming in. Why? I guess because he can. Anyway, he's giving me first dibs on his because I missed out on his last allocation of 51's. The other new one he is getting has already got a deposit down on it. He is asking 10,500 for the used RC and list ($9999) for teh new 929.

I'm looking for valid arguments here not just opinions based on what you chose. Give me some reasons you decided the way you did. Thanks.

James

If 33 red cows enter a race with a total of 37 cows, should anyone be surprised when a red cow wins?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 06:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to CBR_Brutha Send a message via Yahoo to CBR_Brutha
Thumbs up

Well you ride a 1100xx right? What I would do if I were in your shoes is buy the 929rr. Why you ask? I would buy it because the weight of the RC51 as compared to the weight of your current ride is not drastically different. The weight of the 929rr as compared to your current machine IS drastically different. That is to say, lighter. I would keep your 1100xx for sport-touring and super high-sppeed if that's your style, and get the 929rr because it is an ultimate twisties-thrashing machine. That's my logic and my answers. Did I present my opinion in the manner you wanted? Hope I helped...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
instructor
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Yep, that's exactly the kind of response I'm looking for. I was just trying to avoid the responses like: "Get the 929!!! It rocks!!!" Because I already know it rocks. That doesn't help me.

Also, I will be selling the XX to do this. Money may grow on trees but mine is still a sapling. I was originally on a quest to turn the XX into a corner carver with good ergos by updating suspension, and losing weight. But the cost of doing that appear to be too high considering I can buy something like the 929 etc... for less than I would have had in the XX. I know the 929 isn't as comfortable as the XX but I haven't done the miles I thought I was going to do and I've heard from people that own the 929 that it's not all that uncomfortable. The only thing they complain about is monkey butt which happens on just about anything. I even have to stand up on the XX every once in a while. Besides, I'm young (26) so I don't find myself complaining about my back or knees or wrists.

James

If 33 red cows enter a race with a total of 37 cows, should anyone be surprised when a red cow wins?

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 07:28 AM
Pete

James, how do the two bikes fit you? Also, do you have a preference between v-twins and inline fours? Just a couple questions you might want to consider.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 07:43 AM

If ergos aren't a concern of yours then I would give the nod to the RC... Anyone who has ridden an RC knows that the weights published in magazines etc. are jibberish and the bike carries it's weight well. It feels quite like a 929.

The v-twin is such a better street machine than an inline in my opinion. The sound, looks and the fact that not everyone has them is reason enough in my book.

From a performance standpoint, they are neck and neck. I don't think a stock 929 will get around a track any quicker than an RC. Plus the 929 isn't all that as far as looks go IMO.

A friend of mine has an RC and with 5300 or so miles it's every bit the bike it was when it was new, so considering yours would be essentially new I would jump at it. But then agian, what would a new RC cost?

I'm sure you will be happy with either. It just somes down to what you like, looks and engine configuration. I personally think v-twins are the nuts.

Ian

'00 VFR 800 - TBR CF High Side Exhaust
'01 R1 - Full Akrapovic Ti Exhaust - Ivan's JetKit - Dussault Tail
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 07:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to CBR_Brutha Send a message via Yahoo to CBR_Brutha
Arrow

Definitely consder Pete's question, and if you don't have an engine preference, I'd still go with the 929rr. I just think that in light of the fact that you've been on an 1100xx for awhile, the dry weight and raw power of the 929rr will please you to no end. The RC51 will have the low-end grunt obviously, but at 130+ rwhp, I'd say that the rush of the 929rr @12,000 will kick ass beyond belief.

Either bike you choose will give you immense pleasure I'm sure. I've had the chance to ride a 929rr and it was totally bitchin'. I have NOT logged any time AT ALL on the RC51 so my opinion here is purely based on reading and what not. It may feel lighter than it is. Either way you're gonna be thrilled with your ride. Keep us posted on your decisions, decisions...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
instructor
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete
James, how do the two bikes fit you? Also, do you have a preference between v-twins and inline fours? Just a couple questions you might want to consider.
A couple of good questions there, Pete. On the first, it's a little hard to say because I live in a small town so there aren't many opportunities to even sit on a bike like these much less ride them. There are currently no 929's in town and the only RC belongs to the owner of the dealership. I do ride with him and we are acquaintances if not friends but I haven't asked to swing a leg over it yet. At least on the road. I did sit on it at the dealership but it was on a stand so I was pitched forward quite a bit. Of course, now that he's getting a new one and he knows I'm interested it probably wouldn't be difficult to get a ride. Although now it's 29 degrees and only going to get worse for the next three or four months. We've already had snow!!
I did sit on a 929 at a dealer in another town but the salesman wasn't comfortable supporting the bike so I could sit with both feet up. But from those limited experiences I think the fit nod would have to go to the 929 but just barely.

As for motor preference that one's as close as the presidential election. Before the XX I had a TL-R and loved the way it sounded. But I never did get used to the extra mechanical noises it made. I did only have it for three months though. I do have to say that the RC's motor may not be as smooth as a four but it definitely sounds tighter than the TL did. I think fours sound better when the throttle is WFO. And the fours are smoother while riding. Range is better on a four. Although, I did a 1200 mile trip with a friend on his Super Hawk which has the same dreadfull range as the RC and I don't remember it ever being an issue.

I could probably flip flop all day on this one. I was hoping someone in here would let me off the hook by enlightening me with an absolute gem of knowledge that no one else has ever thought of and would decided the issue conclusively. But like so many other things it's going to come down to personal preference because both candidates are equally good. Right now I am leaning ever so slightly toward the 929. But once I get a chance to ride the RC it may speak to me. I think that is what it will come down to.

James

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 02:45 AM

and I'm having the same issues with a decision on a 929 or R1... I'm almost scared to make a decision. I would have thought buying my second bike would be easier than the first but it isn't at all...

It's really a sad state of affairs when you have to make a decision on spending upwards of 10,000 dollars by just sitting on it for ten minutes and not even being able to do it with both feet up.

It's really rather irritating IMO. I am petrified of walking away in the spring with an R1 and immediately thinking I made the wrong decision and should have went for the 929 and vice versa.

Ian

'00 VFR 800 - TBR CF High Side Exhaust
'01 R1 - Full Akrapovic Ti Exhaust - Ivan's JetKit - Dussault Tail
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 04:08 AM
Umbrella girl chaser

Talking

Hey Birdman, "Get the 929!!! It rocks!!!" Seriously, sounds like the 929 might suit you better-coming from the XX. I can't speak much about the RC-51--never rode one. They are probably more exclusive at this point; but who knows how many Honda will produce this year. They look pretty sweet--except for that stupid tach-what's up with that . The handle bars seem a good deal lower on the 51, which would be enough to deter me. And that guy that wants to sell you his used bike for a mere $500 over MSRP--tell him to kiss your ass . Damn, I hate dealers that think they're sitting on a piece of gold with there new bikes. If I were you; I wouldn't buy anything from this guy. Seems like you said you're from a small town; that's probably the mentality of your dealer--"I'm the only game in town and I can do whatever I want." Prove him wrong and find another dealer.

Good luck with your decision--I know it can be tough. I'm sure you'll be more than happy with either bike--especially the 929 .

Clark

"I like the water gun idea..."~Will "the mad man" Darton
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 04:09 AM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by 2000VFR
I am petrified of walking away in the spring with an R1 and immediately thinking I made the wrong decision and should have went for the 929 and vice versa.

Ian, IMO, the odds of the first scenario happening are very, very slim; the odds of the second scenario happening are even slimmer. There, does that help? Just picking on ya; I honestly think that any regrets you might have would happen with both of them, as in the ergos are too "raceresque", or you get addicted to wheelies, tireslides, and stoppies, or too many speeding tickets, that kinda stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode