01 f4i wont start - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Sippona
01 f4i wont start

FIRST POST!!!

Hey guys, been reading for a while and am glad to finally join you guys on SBW forums =)

Sad to say, my first post is one of desperation. However im faithful that you folks will give wise advice so ill make the *EDIT* short story long *EDIT* as to not leave out any possibilities.

My friend just bought a used f4i from a well known bike dealership. After we got it back to my place safely, i drove it around the corner (sigh) thats when the front tire bit a groove mid-u-turn and i ended up downing it on the sidewalk. It went down on the right side and shattered a section of the windshield.

Afterwards, the bike started up fine and i drove it back. I then let my friend sit on it as i talked him thru the basics (he has no prior riding experience and is his 1st bike). Somewhere during the instruction, while the bike was off it would no longer shift out of neutral, nor would it start.

So now, the bike is in neutral and does not start, when the bike is on and given a few seconds for the spedo to zero out, you hit the switch and it makes a rapid clicking noise, i believe its the starter. I do hear the whine of the fuel injector come on when the killswitch is flipped on, but still no start.

Obviously, my worst fear is that in my little spill i destroyed my good friends new (and 1st) bike =/

Any idea what could solve this issue? or what caused it? Any advice would be great, thanks!

Conduct life without regrets, joy follows learning
from mistakes, not obsessing over them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 05:57 AM

Sounds as if the battery is weak. Have you tried jumping it?

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 06:03 AM
Honda Moderator

Jumping it is a good way to fry an ECU...

If you suspect the battery then put it on a trickle charge & try again, first & foremost though check all your battery connections & make sure they are tight!

If you do have to jumpstart it off a vehicle then make sure the automobile you are jumping off of is not running as car/truck batteries throw a lot more amps than a typical motorcycle battery & put the positive lead to the motorcycle battery, but the negative lead to bolt or place on the frame that will serve as the ground.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Im quite new to riding myself, much less adept at taking the bike apart. But ive only removed most of the plastics and from what i can tell, most of the electrical connections from nose to tail are snug, minus the relays under the gas tank (which i am weary to remove on my own). My initial guess was the battery due to the clicking noise (which in my mind rings as the starter solenoid). All lights are working fine, as to exclude that weird headlamp and tail sensor being a factor.

still stumped, but i think im getting there. Id rather not risk jumping the bike as ive heard many people (including Lord Duckhunter) warn about frying electrical components. I plan on buying a battery tender in the near future to see if that does the trick.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 05:48 PM

let us know how it goes!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

sorry for the late update, but problem solved!

turns out it was a combination of the battery and an electrical short, the previous owner of the bike (who took excelent care of it) at one point installed FIFTEEN red LED's and flourescent lights into the bike. yes i know it sounds crazy, but we counted all FIFTEEN of them, apparently they were wired directly into the highbeam, so when the highbeam was turned on AFTER we checked the fuses, thats when the short must have happened.

so, new battery, new 5a fuse for the christmas tree setup, and the f4i lives on to roar down more asphalt.

thanks for all your help guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode