02' F4i frame sliders - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Question 02' F4i frame sliders

A reply to one of the first posts I made to this site recommended that I install some frame sliders to my 02' F4i. I've tried doing some investigating and it would seem to me that installing frame sliders would require some hacking up of the right and left farings. I'm a little squeamish about drilling and cutting up the plastic, not knowing what I'm doing and then have a crappy looking faring. Is there any other way to get effective side protection (sliders or otherwise) without having to hack up the panels? Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

SD40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Honda Moderator

Personally I don't use frame sliders on my Honda's because they mount so low in the chassis on all the recent Honda sportbikes that they tend to cause the bike to roll over on to the tank and cause more damage than what would have occurred without any type of slider installed, but crashing is like rolling the dice & you never really know what is going to happen...

However I have instructions for installing frame sliders on my RC51 site. You can read those & get a good idea of how to do it on the F4i. If you don't like the playdoh idea then another neat trick is to put the bike up on stands & use a laser level or laser sight to mark the spot on the bike that needs to have the hole drilled in it & then install the body work while the laser is still stationary & use the laser dot as the guide for where to drill.

http://www.rc51.org/slider.htm
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

"Duck",

The thought of something happening like rolling over on the tank has come to mind quite a bit. I also think that I'm really apprehensive to start cutting holes in the fairings. Perhaps I will watch on ebay and see if I can find some farings that I might not hate cutting up as much. The ones I've got now are in fairly good condition and cutting them un-nerves me.....

In any case,

Thanks,

SD40

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 12:13 PM

This thread is a little old but have you thought about a crash cage? really popular with the stunters. Check out www.stuntliffe.com and search around there for info.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 06:17 PM

You could not get better advise then from LDH for believe me he knows the pros & cons of m/css.

The job is not that complicated & does turn out to look real professional even to a first timer if they take their time. I have been in on helping a chap do the same to his bike & I suggested we open the gap a bit more, for often when the bike goes down the frame safer tends to spring back a bit & can fracture the ABS plastic.

Said riders did go down as he was entering a fuel station, & loosing traction due to grit, with minimum damage done to the bike thanks to the frame savers & later on the same as the bike was knocked over in a parking lot.

The frame savers of my Honda 929 have saved the bike once when being hit at a red light as I was stopping & the cage behind me hit & knocked me down to make it a hit & run situation & 2nd time bike was hit in a mall parking lot.

Fortunately no need for cutting of plastic, but the good point of the frame savers is my belief here along with a few other bikes to one in a high speed crash & the frame slider bolt actually folded backward to actually save the engine though nose-piece & side panel of the fairing had to be replaced plus mirror & signal light. Fact is I am still riding the bike-----well was only winter is here so all bikes are winterized.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Last edited by Smitty; 11-02-2006 at 06:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode