05 1000rr mercury switch bypass - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

05 1000rr mercury switch bypass

Took my repsol to Eastern creek in Australia at the weekend. The thing kept dying midway through each turn when I had her cranked over. Turns out there's a mercury switch behind the headlights that triggers an engine cut out when the bike is leaned over too much (a safety measure in the event of a crash apparently)

Anyone have any ideas as to how to disable this???

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_9802a.jpg (60.6 KB, 105 views)

Chumley

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"

"Flying is easy... You just have to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 04:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
That device is fairly important. It kills the engine so that the fuel pump shuts off in an accident. Being fuel injected there is some decent pressure there. Many do override or disable them but it is not a good idea. They are actually required by some racing organizations.

There is something wrong with it if it's cutting the motor from a lean in a turn. It shouldn't do that until the bike is basically horizontal. I've never had my RC-51's or the CBR1000RR's cutout in a turn and they've both been over enough to touch a peg to the ground.

But to answer your question, some take the switch apart and fill the space with silicone so that the balance device can't move.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 05:10 AM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Send a message via Yahoo to DreamRyder
if you got the bike used the previous owner might have tried to disable it themselves and didn't do a very good job I bought a GSXR 750 that was like that.. that was ONE of the MANY screwups on the bike.. what they had done was took the tilt switch (which is the relay switch you're referring to) and took it apart to put zip ties on either side of the ring to keep it from moving side to side which would then change the resistance reading and cuasing the switch to shut the motor down.. well when the idiot mounted the tilt switch back in place he did so sideways... which was ok for awhile till that ring vibrated enough on that zip tie that it caused it to slip down allowing the ring to then move more freely - the motor was shutting off on my in a turn as well as not quite even leaning the bike (since the switch was on it's side it was like the bike was on it's side ALL the time)...... when we discovered this we pushed the zip ties together again tight on the ring and filled it with silicone and then mounted it in the correction direction. It also looked like the fella tried to remove the tilt switch from the system which you can't do... and there was a short in one of the wires he tried to splice back together..)

Now you referred to your relay as Mercury???? Are you sure about that... we work with Mercury Relays here at work and I wouldn't think they would be used on a bike.. I would think relays on a bike would all be mechanical brass contact style relays....

IF YOU KNOW THIS IS A MERCURY switch then there is no way to disable the relay because you dare NOT open it.. and there is no way you can stop the mercury fluid inside from moving in there while you are at a lean with the bike....

Apparently one way or another that switch ain't workin right and you should have it replaced.. I've had my 929 at a pretty heafty lean with it's tilt switch untouched and it never cut my motor off...

E.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 929 lean.jpg (18.0 KB, 95 views)

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

If it's too good to be true... then you must be Dreaming.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

I have had the bike from new. I tried running the bike without any of the front wiring harness but it wouldn't start. SO we stripped the original harness from the OEM front fairing and clipped it to the main loom. It worked. We noticed the black box but had no idea what it was. Therefore we had no idea it was a switch of some kind (Somebody suggested Mercury switch - I don't know if it actually IS a mercury switch but it made sense at the time). Dreamryder - you may well be right. I have no idea about this as the concept is new to me. I never had one of the switches on my 996 (to my knowledge) I just put on Raceglass on that and off I went - no problems whatsoever.

Assuming it is a relay, and I do realise why it is there, you are saying there is no way of disabling it? or just no way of disabling it if it is a mercury relay? Where is the tilt switch on your 929?

An RCJohn, if they are required by some racing organisations, how are they fitted to after market fairings?? The 1000rr's relay/switch (Call it what you like) sits directly behind the headlights - which makes it tough if you want to run with race glass (as per my picture)

And Dreamryder, why can't you remove the switch from the system??

Thanks!!

Chumley

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chumley

An RCJohn, if they are required by some racing organisations, how are they fitted to after market fairings?? The 1000rr's relay/switch (Call it what you like) sits directly behind the headlights - which makes it tough if you want to run with race glass (as per my picture)

Thanks!!
Your 996 had one(most likely) on it somewhere since it was fuel injected. Pretty much all fuel injected bikes are going to have this switch somewhere. Although, there was an investigation and a controversy over Bayliss' Ducatis not shutting down upon his crashes which is a rules violation. The RC-51 had it mounted back in the tailsection near the back to the driver's seat. You can mount the switch back there somewhere if you want. Important thing is that it gets mounted at the same position it comes from the factory. Meaning it needs to be the same angle with respect to the ground and the center axis of the bike front to rear. Basically just remember it's a tilt switch(unlikely and actual mercury switch) and is designed to kill the bike when it goes on its side. So as long as it can still sense this then it doesn't matter where it's mounted.

I know of no way to electronically disable them. It's a failsafe switch therefore if removed the ECU senses the same signal as if the bike were on its side. Has to be that way in case the crash is bad enough to send the switch flying.

John

Last edited by RCjohn; 10-03-2006 at 12:15 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Send a message via Yahoo to DreamRyder
Quote:
Originally posted by Chumley
Where is the tilt switch on your 929?

how are they fitted to after market fairings?? The 1000rr's relay/switch (Call it what you like) sits directly behind the headlights - which makes it tough if you want to run with race glass (as per my picture)

And Dreamryder, why can't you remove the switch from the system??

Thanks!!
To be honest I can't recall if it was at the rear subframe or to the front left part of the bike somewhere ... I know on the GXSR750 it was the left side of the rear subframe .. and I know on my F4i it's same location as yours... because to fit my race plastics I had to make a bracket that would allow the tilt swith to mount to the inside of the race fairing since I took the headlight and upper fairing off... Just a simple Lshaped bracket is all that was necessary...

as for why you can't remove them.. the electronics is set up for a certain resistance reading given by the tilt switch.. as soon as you break that out of the circuit it no longer gives that reading to the ECU and it shuts off the motor thinking the bike is on it's side and nolonger at a safe angle....

since you have been the only owner of the bike... the possibility of someone messing with it is out.. so it must be faulty.. if in deed that is the cause to your bike motor shutting down... with a freinds help.. start your bike.. let it run and lean the bike over from side to side and see how far down you can take the bike before it shuts off.. if it shuts down before the amount of angle that it should then i would look to replacing that switch or look to see if something came loose... In your manual it should state at what angle your tilt switch shuts the motor down... it should also state what resistance your switch should have... you can also check that with a meter if you got one... just be sure to have it set for ohms and not volts (x amount of resistance will keep the motor running... no amount of resistance will shut motor down... this is why you can't remove it.. you remove the switch and there is no longer any resistance there... )

one way to determin possibly if it's a mercury relay or a mechanical relay is.. all mercury relays I've seen here at work are enclosed and you can't open them... (obviously cuz mercury is hazardous) if your relay is a box shape with screws holding a cover on it.. it's gotta be a mechanical relay.. and if that's the case then you can open it up and you will see a weighted ring that slides from side to side along a "pole/rod" at either end of that the brass rod is no longer bare and is most likely covered with something... once this ring crosses over that your resistance reading becomes nothing .. this is how the switch detects what angle you are from left to right.. so this means if you permanently keep the ring centered you will always have a constant resistance to keep the motor running.. this is most often done by filling the cavity with silicone... let it set till firm then replace cover and install with arrow UP (lol) and you're all set... AND YOU ARE CORRECT this removes a safety factor that could potentially be dangerous if one goes down and the motor is still running and in gear...

E.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

If it's too good to be true... then you must be Dreaming.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 02:43 PM

Remember that FI bikes' fuel pumps put out a decent amount of pressure. If the bike continues to run after an accident and the fuel line has seperated during the accident then you potentially have pressurized fuel getting to a hot exhaust, etc. Basically creating a bit of a blow torch you might say. Gets really ugly. That is why they are important on the bike. Not a frequent occurance since bikes have their fuel lines fairly well protected and they rarely fail unless the tank is ripped off. If that happens the fuel pump goes with it too. Another minor issue is it's not good for fuel pumps to run without fuel which can happen while the bike is on its side. Also not a real concern considering your bike is already on it side and suffering alot more damage than just a pump.

The good thing is that they don't have as much pressure as cars. FI fires on cars can be quite impressive.

John

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Help!

The new harness looks slightly different to the one on my bike. This one looks like there IS a tilt switch of some kind that has been sealed up. But it still doesn't make the bike start. Anyone got a wiring diagram so I can double check what this thing is and whether anyone has screwed around with the newer harness? I'll post a new thread as well, just in case

Chumley

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Honda Moderator

Check 1000RR.net

Somebody there will have the exact answer you are looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode