VTR Chain Length - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

Question

Ok, I am installing a set of Hi Point wheels and I am going to change sprockets. I have at this time a 15/41 sprocket combination now. I am going to go to a 16/43 or 16/44 set up.

What lenght of chain should I go to for the 16/43 or 16/44 set up. Stock in 102 links

------------------
carbonguy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 01:27 AM

I have an old copy of Performance Bikes that had a great article on sprockets and one section was a formula for how figure your new chain length after changing sprocket sizes. I'll look for the mag after work and post their formula tomorrow.

Hope this helps,
Eric

------------------
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 06:13 AM

Exclamation

first off carb guy, what is it you are trying to do by going up in teeth on both sprocket's ?
i was wondering cause i did some math (had to use a calculator ) and your stock gears give you a ratio of 2.733, that is 15/41, now if you go to 16/43 you will be at 2.68, which is slightly higher gearing, and if you go 16/44 your at 2.75 which would be geared slightly lower.
now i know your post was "chain lenth" but if you go with what you are talking about, about the only thing you are gona get is more wieght ! (from larger sprockets and longer chain.)
as for chain lenth, if you go with, like a Regina chain, i wouldn't worry about it cause they will give you extra anyway ! you just "break off" what extra you don't need.

------------------
texas tornado #2

jim

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Ok Jim,

I am running a 15/41 now, stock is 16/41.

I am going to go to the 16/44 it is close to the 15/41 I have and I will not burn up the chain with a smaller radius front sprocket. I talked to AFAM and that was the recomendation they made and the chain length would be 104 and thats a D.I.D. 530 chain.Stock is a D.I.D. 530 102 length.

Thanks for responding.

------------------
carbonguy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 01:23 PM
Resident Smartass

Thanks for doing the legwork CarbonGuy, I'm gonna make the same change when my present set wears out. I'm running 15/41 now and it seems the 16/44 should be perfect(6th gear is all but unusable now).

------------------
Heeeere piggy piggy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode