929RR Kickin the R1's Ass in.... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2000, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

How bout the 929RR kickin the R1's ass in the Formula Extreme class!! Man, ya gotta love it. It's been Kurtis Roberts for Team Erion Racing 1st in all 5 races so far with his teamate placing 2nd for most of the races.

In the last race at Mid Ohio only two R1's made it into the top 10. For a bike that's supposed to be so high and mighty I have to wonder what seems to be the complication.

Rock on Honda.................

------------------
A few clowns short of a circus...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2000, 01:09 AM

Talking

No kidding! Kurtis Roberts is looking like the Formula Extreme equivalent of Rich Oliver in 250 GP! I think Erion could find a way to make anything run like stink but the 929 is an awesome platform! I think I've used enough exclamation points now!

------------------
"We don't got any beers. We got tequila, it's like beer."
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2000, 02:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
Don't get me wrong, I am a Honda fan and the 929 is awesome but keep in mind that Erion has a budget that blows every othe competitor out of the water. They get direct support from the factory and the factory superbike team and their riders are paid better than the others.

Also, Kurtis Roberts is an excellent rider as is Josh Hayes. And Josh is a nice guy who really deserves the ride. Kurtis should be on a superbike next year.

I'm not trying to take away from them but I just want people to know what the competitors are up against.

For those that don't know it... Jake Zemke's bike is actually an Erion Honda. Sort of a satellite team.

I can't wait to see the Valvoline team with the upcoming GSXR1000(or 1100). It should really turn the Formula Xtreme series into a fight similar to last year. Last year was some good racing. The Suzukis, Hondas, Raptor, and R1s were all competitive. The Hondas just had the extra edge and very talented riders.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2000, 04:14 AM

Talking

Hey John, I saw what you were talking about with Steve Grigg last night on Speedvision. Sadowski was giving him some good airtime! From what I've gathered, you help on the team? Didn't catch the whole race; could you be seen? Too bad Rad Graves lost the front there at the end; they seemed to be dicing it up pretty good! Due to the rain? Anyway, good luck to you all on the rest of the season!

------------------
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2000, 04:25 AM

Yes, I was on television. I was way in the background putting warmers on Steve's bike during the interview with Martin and Chuck Graves and I was the one holding Steve's pit board during the race. They never showed a clear picture of me... bastards.

It was bad to see Rad crash. He works very hard to make that bike compete. He is a good guy and a friend of the team and there is a fun rivalry going on. Steve was told not to come back to the garage if he let the 'Busa beat him. I was pissed when they didn't red flag that last lap. You could see Steve looking back at start/finish for Rad. He was afraid Rad wouldn't get through the rain. Rad's bike is about 40lbs heavier that the 929s. Rad should do well at Brainard.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2000, 06:35 AM

Talking

I'll try to get the race taped next time it's on & look for ya. I saw Grigg looking around after Rad went down; that's cool that he was concerned. I'm sure the 'Busa would be a handful in the rain!

------------------
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2000, 02:21 PM

Come on guys, you can't really think the bike is what is winning the races for him. Sure it helps, but I'd have to say that racing is 60% rider, 20% start, and 20% equipment. A fast rider will go fast regardless of what bike he is on. Don't get me wrong, I love Hondas, but I love all bikes.

------------------
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2000, 03:02 PM

taner,

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. The Erion bikes are that good. Any of the top eight FXtreme riders would beat Kurtis if they switched bikes with him. He would probably make it a decent race for a while but he would still lose.

Erion pretty much dominated when it was the Superteams Championship(endurance) and have dominated every since it changed to Formula Xtreme, just not as bad as this year. Kurtis is the best rider of the Erion bikes. Josh Hayes and Jake Zemke(his bike is an Erion built machine) are both very talented.

Put John Hopkins on a Erion Honda and he would probably win. Josh is just now getting over his injuries.

The competition was a little stiffer last year but the 929 is just a better machine than the 900rr in this class of racing. Keep in mind, Kurtis didn't win this big last year and the only difference is the bike. Greaves is still on the Busa, Grigg is still on the Raptor, Lopez is on the same Suzuki, Miller is still on the Attack R1. An injured Hayes is running faster lap times and he is on the Erion Honda and not the Suzuki.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

[This message has been edited by RCjohn (edited July 19, 2000).]
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2000, 01:25 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by taner261:
A fast rider will go fast regardless of what bike he is on

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree with you to a point, the better rider will get more out of the machine he's on, but:

Scott Russell on Muzzy Kaw: Daytona Champ
Scott Russell on Harley VR1000: Daytona Chump

Not trying to refute your comment, but given riders with comparable talent, the machine does make a difference.

------------------
"It depends on what part of the country you're standin' in as to just how dumb you are."
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2000, 10:55 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i'm no honda fan, but the reality is the 929 platform has little to do with what kurtis is doing to the fx field.

kurtis is a true talent, and erion has the biggest bucks. with their budget they could do the same thing with an f4.

they are the only factory team in fx (except for the possible exception of the bruce trans. team, who buys factory support).

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode