Superhawk questions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Question

O.K. all you VTR1000 owners I need your input on whether or not you're happy with your Superhawks. I found one for sale on Sat. it's a yellow '98 with 6K miles. It has 2Bros carbon fiber exhaust and I believe it has a jet kit. The shop is selling it for an individual and they are asking an even $7K. I went in looking at a great 600F4, but the Superhawk caught my eye and I really fell for it.

I don't have any knowledge of the VTR or sport twins, I've had a Kaw GPZ550 for the last 2 years and I'm really looking to move up to something bigger, faster, newer, better looking, etc, etc...

All comments will be appreciated - good or bad. I'm going to call on Tues and see if I can get a test ride.

Thanks,
Eric

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 07:24 AM

Talking

I LOVE my SuperHawk!!! I'm never selling it! The V-Twin fun factor is unmatched with all that torque. $7000 seems a little high for a '98 thought. I bought mine new for $8K. Are you sure it's a '98? I was under the impression that the yellow wasn't offered until '99. I could very likely be mistaken, but I'd check it out. As long as the thing is pristine, it's probably a good buy if you can get the price down. Also, the SuperHawk is supposedly being discontinued. It's being tooled down to an 800 called the VTX next year, at least according to a corporate Honda buddy of mine. You might have a chance to own a "soon-to-be classic". If you can't tell, SuperHawk owners tend to be passionate about their bikes. Good luck bro...

------------------
C'mon guys! It's all ball bearings these days!...STC
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 10:29 AM
Resident Smartass

Ditto the above. Unless it's not a US model, it's a '99. Don't pay more than $6500, there's lots around for that. I heartily recommend one, although after two years I'm ready for something racier (R1 or GSXR1000 or the like).

------------------
'98 Superhawk

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 11:01 AM
Pete

Ditto on the pricing comments. I'm just getting to know my VTR; I only have about 450 miles on it, but I am liking it a lot. My biggest complaint is the fuel range - it SUCKS!! And that pesky cutting out of the engine (see my post/question about it in this forum).

------------------
Pete
"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 02:33 PM

if it's a choice between an F4 and the Super Hawk, no contest. get the Super Hawk.

Hey, VTRPilot. I would've guessed next year to be the last year. I figured since the '00 S-Hawk is the VTR1000FY, next year would be the VTR1000FZ. Damn, you're screwing up my theory.

------------------
--2000 VTR1000F Super Hawk
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 02:40 PM

Hey, pete. I had that same problem with my bike when i first got it. doesn't do it anymore. stopped at about 300 miles. i was pretty soft on the bike till 200 miles, then i rode aggressively. prolly sped up the break-in process. also, the bike really doesn't like to stay lit if the idle is set lower than 1200 rpm. the manual should prolly require 1200-1300 rpm instead of 1200100 rpm. my bike is better than your, i guess.

------------------
--2000 VTR1000F Super Hawk
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks for all the comments, it could be a '99. I had my 3 yr old daughter with me when I was looking at it and she can be distracting sometimes. I'm going to call this afternoon and see if I can arrange a test ride and get a good look at it while I'm by myself. I also have to get an insurance quote too.

Thanks guys,
Eric

------------------
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 01:19 AM
Pete

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by El Diablo:
my bike is better than your, i guess.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'm glad for you.

Thanks for the info.

------------------
Pete
"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode