My F4 can stand now! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2000, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
neo

Thumbs up

Folks,

Taking a risk of sounding like a dweeb, I finally got the nerve to get my F4 propped up on both the front and rear Pit Bull stands! (Now, I can properly lube my chains and check the oil level!) Still a newbie in a lot of respects to the world of sportbiking, it was a thrill to be able to successfully prop my bike on the stands. Having never done it before or having seen it demonstrated with the inherent risk involved, I decided to plunge right in. Although someone had recommended that I have a partner near by while I attemped it for the first time, I decided to risk it and go for it. I'm glad it turned out the way it did and now I'm looking forward to tinkering with my bike more, now that I have the help of the stands. It was kinda scary at first trying to balance the bike with my left hand while trying to position the stand behind the rear wheel, but hey, no guts, no glory!

Question: How do you folks lubricate your chain? I utilize both Honda's "contact/brake cleaner" and "chain lube"; the "chain lube" bottle directed that the "contact/brake cleaner" be applied first, then the lube. I've seen people "massage" the chain with cloth during/after applying the lubrication. Was this out of excess application or should I be running the chain through some cloth after liberally applying lubrication the the chain? All right, enough said. Now that I've conqured the stand, on to the next battle of the wheelies!

--Tai

p.s. Thanks all for the recommendations on the Pit Bull stands; I really like them. BTW, do I always need to apply the stands in a perfect to near perfect leveled ground or can I also prop it up on my somewhat declined driveway? How 'bout the surface. can it also be applied on Mother Earth, etc.?
Thanks!

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2000, 08:48 PM
Just Passin' Through...

Exclamation

First of all, I can't believe the Honda chain lube instructions say to use brake/contact cleaner on your chain!

These cleaners are very caustic, and should only be used on metal parts. Unless Honda's brand-name cleaner is some different kind of "friendly" formula, the stuff will dry out and ruin the O-rings in your chain, as well as dissolving all the grease inside.

For your chain, you're better off using kerosene or WD-40 (which is the same thing) to clean it.

With the bike on the rear stand, spin the rear tire slowly (it helps to have an assistant do this) and spray lube onto the inside portion of the chain. The easiest place to spray is the portion running underneath the swingarm, spraying downward. Spray into the area between the links, where the O-rings are. After a nice coating, you can wipe down the outer links with a rag, to help keep them from attracting dirt.

There are many other helpful hints in the "How Do I" forum. Look through there for chain-related topics.

On your work stands, no, the surface doesn't have to be perfectly level, but if you have to do it on an incline of any kind, make sure the bike is pointing UPHILL!

Pit Bulls have pretty good sized wheels, so you can probably use them on hard packed dirt or fine gravel, if it's not too deep...

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.

[This message has been edited by AZ Scott (edited July 25, 2000).]
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2000, 01:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
There are about as many opinions on this subject as there is on synthetic oil in motorcycles.

I have to agree with AZ on the idea of not putting contact cleaner on the chain and I have also heard that WD-40 makes a good cleaner/lube for chains. I am doing this since the BelRay I was using makes such a mess on the wheel.

I personally use Vasoline. Haven't you ever put Vasoline all over your motorcycle? I'm sorry this thread, for some reason, made me think of the Burt Reynolds Vasoline scene from the movie Striptease.

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2000, 04:13 AM

Wink

John, you've got some problems you need to work out...

------------------
My Maserati does 185, I lost my license now I don't drive...
My Hayabusa does 186, should do 200 the Feds are such d%#$s...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2000, 07:06 AM
Umbrella girl chaser

John, you're my inspiration.....for becoming a psychiatrist.

------------------
Clark
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2000, 10:06 AM

Angry

for my f4, the owners manual say's do not use solvent's on the chain, but the maintenance manual say's use a brush and cleaning solvent, i agree with above, not contact cleaner, bad for O ring's ! Also most chain lubes have a wax in them, and they will tell you to warm up the chain prior to lubing so it will penetrate the Orings.

------------------
texas tornado #2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode