VTR1000F and Yoshimura RS-3 Slip-Ons - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2000, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Question

I'm thinking of buying the Yoshi RS-3 slip-ons for my Super Hawk. I was wondering if anyone here put those on their S-Hawk, and if so, what sort of adjustments they made to the carburetors. How many turns of the idle mixture screws, and how much did you shim the jet needles?

------------------
--2000 VTR1000F Super Hawk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 06:23 AM

Talking

I would love it if someone would answer this question....I was thinking of doing this as well. I've heard a sound clip of a VTR with the Yosh and compared to others(Staintune, 2Bros, Vance)I've heard, those are the best-sounding. I've heard you don't *have* to re-jet with the slip-ons, but I'm kind of skeptical.

------------------
j.--
"get on the good foot-heh, good god"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Well, I just ordered the Yosh RS-3 slip-ons. should be here by the end of the week. I'll report back with the findings. damn, my neighbors are going to hate me.

------------------

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 03:21 PM
Resident Smartass

I've got race (straight thru) SS2R's and the jetting is almost right on. Settings are: mixture screws 3 turns out from closed, needles raised with washers (not sure if they're .030" or .060"), stock mains.
Next time I can afford it, I'm going to 180/185 mains (stock are 178/180) and a quarter to half turn leaner on the mixture screws. I also have a K&N filter with about 6 one inch holes added to the airbox.

------------------
'98 Superhawk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Nevermind my last post. I just cancelled my order.

I can't decide. Confusion sucks.

Tristan, how did you settle on that selection of needle shim? Seems kinda tall. Was it a pain working on the VTR's carbs? Those super-long compression springs have me worried I might never be able to get them back into the vacuum chamber.

------------------
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2000, 03:24 PM
Resident Smartass

It was only a pain in my wallet! After having been in and out of my old ZR550 carbs several times I vowed never to do my own jetting again! The shim size was determined by a lot of asking around (there are lots of VTRs in the HSTA).

------------------
'98 Superhawk
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2000, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Well, I installed the Yosh RS-3 slip-ons today. Instllation was pretty straightforward... till I went to install the exhaust gasket at the pipe joint, anyway. That's when I noticed the gaskets wouldn't fit into the slip-on's inlet pipes. It seems that Yoshi designed the slip-ons to attach without the gaskets. They even supply new pipe clamps for the smaller diameter. They seem to seal fairly well once you get them tightened - really tight, but I'll keep an eye on it as I ride more. If leaking becomes a problem, I'll seal the joint with high-temp RTV.

They look really nice (I got the stainless steel/aluminum). Because of the oval shape, I have to be a little more careful with the swingarm stand, as the bottom of the cans are slightly lower than the stock cans were. The cans don't toe-in like the stock units. Fit was good enough to get the bolt holes to align (but just barely on the right side). The left pipe could've benefited with additional inlet pipe length, as there's a slight gap between the end of the slip-on's pipe and the OD flange at the downpipe. Quality seemed better than average - almost as good as the OEM's but not quite.

Sound is actually kinda quiet for an aftermarket model. They definitely thump instead of "puff" like the stockers, but depending on where you're standing in relation to the bike, sound level is very acceptable. They're great street cans. Yoshi claims the RS-3 Zyclones put out 90dB; so if you're looking to ride at Leguna, these will work fine.

The idle speed went up about 50 rpm after installing the Yoshi's. I hear afterburing when I cut the throttle sharply - esp. during the 1-2 shift under heavy accel. I dont' know if this is the PAIR system, which may have been muffled by the stock cans, or if it's an excessively lean mixture. Prolly mainly the PAIR and a little bit of the leanness that's always been there. I haven't noticed any surging or hesitation, and power is still there when I need it. Can't tell if I have an increase in power (I can't identify 5% gains in HP through my butt - need a dyno), but at least it didn't go down. I was going to shim the needles and adjust the air screws, but I don't think I will based on what I've experienced so far. Air/fuel mixture seems to be ok with stock carb settings. -definitely don't need a jet kit. I think the next major restriction is in the airbox. Until I make a change in that area, I'm leaving the jets as is.

Overall, I'm very pleased.

btw, if you're in the Ft. Wayne, IN. area and need to visit a Honda/Yamaha dealer, House of Honda/Yamaha is a great place. It's not the biggest shop in town, but it's family-owned, and the guys there are good folk.

------------------
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2000, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

well, just to be fair, I should also give credit to the other Honda shop in town, Ehlerding's, who are also very decent biker folk.

------------------
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2000, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

ok, it turns out i have the race slip-ons and not the standard-street-baffled cans. I called Yoshi and the guy told me you can tell by looking at the fasteners that secure the caps (at least for the aluminum cans). If they're allen-bolted, you have the street baffles. rivetted cans are race slip-ons. Mine have rivets.

I thought they sounded kinda harsh. Oh, well. They grow on you.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode