600cc or 900cc - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2000, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Hi guys (and gals)... I'm new to the board. I currently have a Honda F3 (I'm a new rider as well)... I love it. I started on a Kawa 250 a couple of months ago after I took the safety course.
My question is: When I upgrade, which should be soon, should I get an F4, R6, R1 or 900RR (I'd prefer the 900 over the 929). I can simplify the question by reducing it to 600 or 900. Before I went riding with 'the guys' I thought a 600 would be enough, but they all have bigger bikes (except for the guy on the beautiful R6, and my girlfriend on her F4), and they smoke me in the straights. I can keep up in the twisties, but my lack of experience makes me average. I like power, and the wheelies are impressive.

Sorry for the lengthy statement/question.

Any suggestions (thanks)

------------------

[This message has been edited by NewYorkAZ (edited July 26, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by NewYorkAZ (edited July 27, 2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2000, 10:39 PM
Just Passin' Through...

Arrow

If I read that correctly, you just started riding a couple of months ago? And you're already in the market for your third bike?

First of all, there is absolutely no reason for you to buy an open bike like an R1. These bikes are designed for EXPERT riders. Yes, unfortunately you will see new riders buying these things, but it's a crapshoot whether they live to buy another one or not.

If you feel you have to buy a new bike right away, the 600 class should be more than sufficient. An F4 would be a good choice. But really, your F3 that you're riding should be enough for you to figure things out. Top speed? Does it matter that your friends can go 170 and you can "only" do 150? How often does that "problem" come up?

Wheelies? An F3 can do wheelies with the best of them. Twisties? No problem. A good rider on an F3 can wax a mediocre rider on anything. And vice-versa. So don't worry about the bike holding you back. Work on your own skills first, and then worry about a new bike...

But at least you are willing to listen to advice. That's a start!

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 01:15 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
a fool and his money are soon partying, love that.

seriously, if you don't wanna get beat on straights, use more corner speed and get on the gas earlier and you'll be passing r1's on straights (well, maybe). one of the best modifications you can make to your f3 is a fox shock and some race-tech fork springs (this stuff can be bought used on the cheap). pick up a copy of twist of the wrist ii by keith code as well. then a good race school, you'll be amazed how fast your f3 is.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

[This message has been edited by cbrf2boy (edited July 26, 2000).]

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 02:26 AM
Pete

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AZ Scott:

These bikes are designed for EXPERT riders. Yes, unfortunately you will see new riders buying these things, but it's a crapshoot whether they live to buy another one or not.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geez Scott, do you need a pen, to sign my death warrant?

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 04:54 AM
Umbrella girl chaser

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pete:
Geez Scott, do you need a pen, to sign my death warrant?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I rolled a pair of one's, is that good?

Expert riders huh? I guess they should be outlawed for all but professional racers then. I don't buy into that at all. If I did, I'd be on an F4 instead of the 929. I think maturity (in mind-not just age) and having a deep respect for the power of a sportbike are more telling signs of what size (if any) a person should get.

------------------
Clark
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 11:06 AM

So, if you are an expert rider then you do not need an R1, because something smaller will be just as fast. Right?

I hear what you are saying. I have a 600 and I, too, am the smallest bike in the group when I ride, but I do not let that bother me as I am not always in the back of the pack. Those are the people who have to worry about having a big bike and not using up all the power that is underneath them.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
38 speeding tickets and still counting
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 05:14 PM
Just Passin' Through...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RUG BURN:

Expert riders huh? I guess they should be outlawed for all but professional racers then...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I believe I said "expert riders". There are many, many riders out there who are perfectly qualified to ride the open bikes. But I would have NO PROBLEM if they didn't allow these bikes to purchased by, say, guys who have been riding for a couple of months!

Jesus, what's the rush, people??? I realize we live in the age of INSTANT GRATIFICATION, and that the attention span of your average 20-year-old is about 3 minutes, but damn! What ever happened to walking before you run? Why does someone need to buy an R1 before they know even 20% of what they need to know to ride a 600 well?

Man, I started riding on a CB125, when I was 18. It was two years before I owned a sportbike, and I didn't own my first open bike until I was 24. But in the mean time, I honed my skills in the canyons, and on the race track, paying attention to what I was doing, and more importantly, listening to what my elders taught me. When I was 26, I competed in my first Daytona 200, and I'm still racing today, at 37.

Do I feel like I missed out on anything, because I didn't buy a GS1100 during my first year of riding? Hell, no!

Now, I realize that about .0001% of the time, a guy will turn out to be a Nicky Hayden, and everything will come naturally to him right away. But if you're that guy you wouldn't be on this forum asking questions anyway!

Maybe they should move this thread into the Daily Rider forum, so we could get everyone involved...

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 07:20 PM

Cool

I agree with AZ Scott. My first bike was a Kawi 250R. I rode that bike for more than 3 years - and it taught me a lot. After a little more than 2 years on it, my skilled had progressed to the point where I could easily keep up with 600's in the twisties, and I could at least keep the 900's in sight.

New riders these days all seem to want the biggest, most powerful bikes - and for what....just to look cool!?!

It all comes down to that old saying: "If everyone else jumped off a bridge, would you do it, too?"

------------------
Hey officer, wanna race????
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2000, 09:53 AM

Here are my 2 cents. Anyone can ride an open class bike. It is not that hard. However...in order to ride a open class bike the way it was designed to be ridden takes skill and expierence. If you want a bike that does power wheelies and goes 170, you may as well buy a ZX-12 or GSXR 1300 (if it is released) and join the rest of the jackass's out there who want one for bragging rights but can't ride it to save their life. Personally, I think you would get much more out of a new 600 that you can really learn to ride and in time, be able to pass bikes of a larger displacement. Trust me, you will have just as much fun on a smaller displacement bike if you learn to ride it correctly.

------------------
I guess I was reading the RPM gauge officer.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2000, 10:10 AM

No doubt about it, just cause you can buy it, should you? Maybe we should have a systen like other countries, where new riders must start at a certain CC and progress gradually. I think the best riders start on a smaller bike and learn to ride well before they move up.
I stated on a GS 450, then a GS500, and a Bandit 400. Just because it's small doesn't mean it's a piece of crap. I wish I'd never sold my Bandit; it was the most fun bike ever to throw around in the twisties. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my VTR, but sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't get a smaller bike. But then again, I love the power, speed, and torque I get with this bike. My next bike will probably be a SV650, just to smoke bigger bikes in the turns.

You gotta realize this: most 600's will keep up in any situation you can think of, you just need the skills. It's been said many times, many ways, but the truth is out there: any monkey can twist the grip.

------------------
j.-
"rawlbrughhhlearlaurTIMMY!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode