F4 shifting problems - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2000, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Question

Yesterday I was getting on the freeway and was shifting from 3rd to 4th at around 7000 rpm and it wouldn't go...it just rattled and made a ticking sound....anyway I let the clutch back out and it was like I was in neutral and then shifted back up and it went into 4th. I tested it qiute a few more times w/ downshifts etc. and I haven't had the problem since....what was it?? Do I have clutch problems already?? Only has 1100 miles.. Sorry for running all my sentences together, I'm at work and I'm in a hurry, Thanks Drew.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2000, 03:37 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
drew,

honda builds notchy gear boxes. don't worry, it's most likely okay. you really need to force the gear into place. the bike is still new and the gearbox may still need some breaking in.

if you have a weak foot (i have this problem right now) you may want to consider a factory (as in factorypro.com not honda) shift kit. the factory shift kit will keep you from finding about 99% of the false neutrals and the real neutral about 75% of the time. but it's worth it.

but, first try adjusting the shift lever for the positive engagement possible. second, and this is most important, you did the right thing and went for fourth. whenever you miss a shift (up or down) always shift up. you may lose drive, but it won't slam you down because it's a gear lower than you thought.

hope it helps.

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black
88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2000, 02:19 AM

Thumbs up

Drew,

I've experienced the same thing on my bike (99' F4).
I don't think it's the bike, I think it's my
weak foot.
Don't worry, just shift a little harder .

"1Red"

------------------
Know Jesus, Know Peace!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2000, 02:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to CBR_Brutha Send a message via Yahoo to CBR_Brutha
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cbrf2boy:
drew,

honda builds notchy gear boxes...the bike is still new and the gearbox may still need some breaking in.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree and disagree, not necessarily in that order.

The F4's gearbox is the smoothest gearbox I have ever experienced in a sportbike. I think that what happened to Drew was due to operator error. I have had this happen once, and I know for a fact it was because I hit neutral from 1st and let the clutch out before I hit 2nd @ about 12,000rpm. BAD mistake. That's the only time I EVER had problems with my gearbox.

I think Tony talks about the notchy gearbox because, judging from your name, you ride/rode an F2, which had a VERY finnicky gearbox. I don't know, I'm assuming here.

Tony is right about the break-in, although 1100 miles should suffice to break in any gearbox.

To summarize: You don't need to worry about a thing. It was most likely operator error. No big deal, just get more used to the bike, and you'll be fine. Don't take that as a knock to yourself either. I've done it, and so has everyone on this site at one time or another. ESPECIALLY the Yamaha guys...(sorry, I couldn't resist )

Hope this eases your worries. Have fun and ride safe man!

P.S. The Factory Shift Kit is a good investment either way. Talk about SMOOTH. Dude, I love it, and it's fairly easy to install too. Anyway, if you have the extra money, I'd order one. AFTER the Stainless brake lines of course, because those are the first mod that ANY self-respecting sportbike rider should make to their machine/companion.

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4
Piped, Jetted, totally trick...
Keep the Rubber side down
my Bruthas AND Sistas!!!

[This message has been edited by CBR Brutha (edited June 30, 2000).]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2000, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Wink

Damn operator error..oh well that's probably what it was. I just figured after this many miles it would've happened at least once before. Also it wasn't exactly neutral..I just wasn't in gear and it was making that clicking sound while it was between 3rd and 4th.
Anyway after 3 Honda cars and other Honda powered toys I know first hand of their reliability and figured I didn't have too much to worry about, just wanted to make sure Thanks

------------------
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 10:11 AM

What's the big deal with S.S. brake lines? Just wondering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode