first (600 mile) tune up - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Question

I just reached 600 miles on my F4 and I'd like to know if any of you did your own first service? If any of you did, can you tell me what needs to be replaced/ adjusted? I know I need to change the oil (I'll go for the motul semi-synth). But I think some other parts need adjustment too right?

------------------
allan
2000 cbr600f4
in silver/red color scheme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 10:02 AM

I changed the oil and filter, adjusted the clutch cable and took that son of a bitch out and rang its little neck. I'm sure I forgot somthing but what the hell. It's a Honda.

------------------
Ride Fast. Take Chances.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 10:04 AM

Exclamation

Thi is an important service and unless you know a lot about bikes I'd take it to a dealer. It is a litte pricey, probably can run as much as $125, but they check everything, I mean everything, including the texture and contents of the oil to make sure it was broken in properly. Better safe than sorry.

------------------
2000 CBR600F4 -Yellow
All Tricked Out

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 10:58 AM
cheetos

The Honda Owner's Manual has a chart telling you what needs to be done. If you haven't read the Owner's Manual then I recommend you do it. Typically that is all you will ever need for a Honda since they hardly ever break. Ducati and Suzuki owners need to have a full time service department.

I'm not sure of your experience level but it is not difficult maint. The next servicing is typically a little more involved. If you do not have a clean, dry, and large area to work then it probably isn't worth the trouble. If you have never serviced a bike then I also recommend you take it to the dealer. If they are any good they will take a critical look at everything and not just what's on the bike's maint. schedule.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 12:04 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
listen to cheetos or john or whatever his name is today and geoff. also tighten all of your bolts, a good idea anyway.

ignore the motul, you're bike isn't in need yet. ring it's neck out, then use the motul, it's good stuff, too good, you're break-in still has one vital part left. that's the ringing it's neck out.

as for oil analysis, you can do that yourself, and most likely your dealer doesn't do it. they may (if you're lucky) look for excessive shavings in the oil.

one last comment, john, at least suzuki recalled it's cam chain tensioners honda's been using the same crap ones since the interceptors.

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black
88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold

[This message has been edited by cbrf2boy (edited June 28, 2000).]
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 01:15 PM

***Do not have the dealer do the 600 mi. service.***

You are wasting your money if you have any mechanical inclanation at all. If you can change your oil and tighten/loosen bolts then you are set. I talked to a couple of the mechanics, which are also my buds, and the service managers. The mechanics said "do it yourself and save some money" and the service boys said "it is only an oil change and check of bolts/chain/ect."

So, try and do it yourself. Buy a genuine Honda oil filter and an oil of your choice. 3.3 liters of oil I think. Tighten the cain to the specs in the owners manual. Check clutch freeplay. Put a wrench on all the nuts/bolts you can see.

If you don't have a clean place to work or no tools to do the job, I'd recommend that you take the plunge and pay the money to let the dealer do it.

Yes, the dealer also sinks the carbs, but this is only for off idle response and the guys in my service dept. say they have yet to see a Honda with the adjustment off.

My .02

------------------
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2000, 01:35 AM

I just took my F4 to the dealer last month.
They changed oil/filter adjusted throttle cable, brakes, lubed chain and a few other things...costed me aroung 50 bucks. I just figured it's worth it for them to do the first service since I might have passed something up...Drew

------------------
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2000, 01:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to CBR_Brutha Send a message via Yahoo to CBR_Brutha
Pls. stop with the stories already!!! I took my bike in for the 600mile service and paid $150!!! I am a freakin' mechanical engineer and I still took it in. Excuse me while I kick my own sorry white, dumb ass. Never again will I listen to those who claim to know what they're talking about. If I have the time, I'm gonna do it myself.

...still kicking my own ass

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4
Piped, Jetted, totally trick...
Keep the Rubber side down
my Bruthas AND Sistas!!!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2000, 02:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by taner261:
So, try and do it yourself. Buy a genuine Honda oil filter and an oil of your choice.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

seriously, avoid the synths and semi-synths until everything is seated.

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black
88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2000, 02:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
WAY TO GO NICK... a Mechanical Engineer that paid $150 for servicing. Here, let me kick that but too.

Doing your own service should depend on your tools, your comfort with your abilities, a good place to work, and the time (as Nick mentioned). If you have ever worked on bikes before and have the tools then pretty much all of the maintenace is "easy". I'm not sure about things like the valve adjustments on some bikes like the Ducatis. I've heard some say that they are fairly easy to adjust.

Good Luck.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode