well, i just bit it..... = ( - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2000, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Angry

ive had my silver/red F4 for about six weeks now.

anyway i went on a lone mountain road in the middle of nowhere with a buddy of mine, and underestimated a sharp right turn. it was sort of a blind turn, covered in trees and shadows.

to make a long story short, i went wide and skidded....right into the mountainside. thank god i was only going about 20-25mph. i was able to skid to the right, so it wouldnt be a head-on colision. i ended up getting stuck between the mountain and my bike, which was lying on top of me. luckily my only injury is a "crushed" foot, which was trapped under the bike. besides that, i only have a few scratches on my left arm.

my F4 has a cracked windscreen, a heavily scratched left fairing, and the left mirror broke off. any idea how much it would cost to replace this stuff? my deductible is $500.

this was my first accident, and it really opened my eyes to a lot of things. all i know is that i WILL ride again as soon as i get off these damn crutches!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2000, 05:01 PM

Unhappy

Bummer!
Well on the bright side, your requisite "rookie crash" is done and you will live to ride again I think some of the other guys can help you find aftermarket parts to fix up your bike for less $$. Unless you want to make a claim and get all new Honda stuff...? Sorry to hear about your foot though, how long are you out for? at least six weeks I guess. Well, hang in there!

BTW, I had my F4 for 8 weeks exactly when I crashed it... YOU beat me!

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

[This message has been edited by riverrunner_2000 (edited June 18, 2000).]
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2000, 08:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
Since June of 1996 I have put about 30k miles on motorcycles. VFR750, FZR1000, KLR650, XT225, YZF600R, SV650 and RC 51. 99.9% of my adult riding has been on the street. I haven't even really come close to crashing. KNOCK ON WOOD. I have had a couple of adrenaline boost due to daydreaming. I do not follow the philosophy of two types of riders, those who have crashed and yada yada yada. Education(MSF course or equiv.) and the right mentality will take you a long way. I due typically dress in full leathers. If not in leathers, in jeans, high top leather shoes and long sleeves. Crashing is always a possibility.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2000, 12:19 AM
Moderator - Honda Forum

Thumbs up

ya, but kyle you win the total damage award!!

------------------
Nick
You meet the nicest people on Hondas
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2000, 12:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
similair damage on my f2 was estimated at $1900 (one side of fairings, a peg, clip-on, clutch lever, shifter and peg). That nets you roughly 1400 from the insurance company. place ads on www.roadracers.com and here in the classifieds sections looking for perfect stock bodywork (as well as looking through www.roadracingworld.com or buying one of their magazines). It should be about 900-1200 for the full set, sell your damaged bodywork here at sportbikeworld.com and roadracers.com, you can sell it damage side and perfect side together or separate. separate you'll get more, but it'll take time to sell.

windscreens are cheap, like 30-40 for a smoked one or a clear one (LP racelites are my favorites, followed by zero gravity).

just a thought. good luck. we've all been there.

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black
88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2000, 03:12 AM

I want to buy your crashed upper fairing. Email me please if you are interested in selling. Glad to hear you didn't get hurt too badly. Get back on that horse quick!

------------------
Ride Fast. Take Chances.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2000, 03:52 AM
Super Mod

Thumbs up

Glad to hear you ONLY hurt your foot.. Hope you get better fast!!!

------------------
Dan F4 Red/Black
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2000, 04:28 AM

Unhappy

Since we are on the topic of crashing...My mom does not want me to get a bike for this reason. Is crashing part of owning a sportbike? I am totally into riding safe and it sounds like everyone here is also but if I just take it easy and don't do any sserious riding, am I still going to wreck. I know it depends on the rider but has anyone out there not crashed?

------------------
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2000, 04:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to CBR_Brutha Send a message via Yahoo to CBR_Brutha
Exclamation

IMO, crashing is a byproduct of a careless action on someone's part. Not necessarily the rider, just a person in general. Granted, there are the times when weather, unseen gravel, animal(s), or some other unpredictable hazardous condition will cause a mishap. Generally though, I've noticed that it's usually due to human error.

My only crash, if you wanna call it that, occured when I rode someone on the back for the first time. I was parking the bike and leaned too much to turn into a parking space. At about 2mph I just gently dropped the bike. Other than that, I've been OK. (with dirtbikes it's a dfferent story) I've had some close calls, but haven't dropped it other than the one time when I wasn't paying attention to the extra weight on the bike.

In summary, ride safe, and you're chances of crashing drop dramatically. There will be a mishap somewhere down the road...there always is, whether it's a bicycle or a sportbike. Hopefully yours will be as minor as mine. Just take it easy, and watch the other person. Assume that noone sees you, and drive with that in mind, always being mindful of those around you. I think you'll be alright man...just use your head, and WEAR A HELMET!!!

Good luck...

It took me about 6months to convince my mom AND dad to let me get my machine. The best way to do it is, along with the other info posted, do ALL the research possible on every aspect that will affect your experience with bikes: insurance, MSF course(s), pricing, accessories, EVERYTHING. That is a big step in proving your comitment to owning and appreciating a motorcycle.

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4
Piped, Jetted, totally trick...
Keep the Rubber side down
my Bruthas AND Sistas!!!

[This message has been edited by CBR Brutha (edited June 19, 2000).]
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2000, 04:56 AM
Moderator - Honda Forum

Arrow

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ridge Runner:
Since we are on the topic of crashing...My mom does not want me to get a bike for this reason. Is crashing part of owning a sportbike? I am totally into riding safe and it sounds like everyone here is also but if I just take it easy and don't do any sserious riding, am I still going to wreck. I know it depends on the rider but has anyone out there not crashed?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i don't like to talk about it, but if you think about it you will. i get very jumpy going into some corners, i have just started riding HARD and we run down roads very fast in a big pack, we have been pulled over 4-5 times and always for the same reason "we've had reports of a pack of sportbikes driving fast..."
yada, yada, yada...
if you read my post in daily rider "and the winner is..." you will see that you can crash very easily! just remember though a sportbike will do what you want if you crash it was probly driver error.(i'm talking about solo accidents) take the course and even take your momto the course w/ ya. let her see that you have the interest and that bikes are safe and you are being tought how to drive.

------------------
Nick
You meet the nicest people on Hondas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode