Getting a new Superhawk! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2000, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

OK guys, I am going from a 1996 Seca II, that has been piped, jetted, new K+N filter and modified airbox, timing advancer, aftermarket sprockets, wider than stock tires, Barnett Kevlar Heavy Duty clutch, fairing mounted mirrors, and Race-Tec front fork springs...

I have put 19k miles on it is 4 years, and am about to get a new Super Hawk. I wanted something fast, very torque, looks sharp, handles well, and was reasonably priced. Out the door cost is $8169 after all taxes and titles and all that crap...

Now, I want a loud slip-on, that sounds sweet, but will NOT require me to rejet the SuperHawk. I am not worried about increasing performance, I just want it to SOUND better and most of all LOUDER...

Any ideas? Thanks!

Dave

------------------
www.geocities.com\squiresca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2000, 06:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
a local guy has very mean, very loud d&d slipons on his hawk. however he now wants a full system and d&d won't sell him just the header, so he's pissed at them. if you're interested, e-mail your info and maybe he'll sell you his slip-ons so he can buy a full exhaust.

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black
88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2000, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Will the D+D slip-ons affect the mixture? They sound exactly like what I am looking for, but I don't want to have to rejet the bike...

------------------

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2000, 07:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to JDM1200
Cool

The D&Ds sound great on a Superhawk, but I don't know if you will have to rejet.

------------------
Ride the Pace,
JD
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2000, 05:29 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
chris's isn't jetted yet and it runs real good. next time i see him i'll find out if he still looking for a full exhaust and i'll let you know.

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black
88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2000, 12:48 PM

Thumbs up

When piping your SuperHawk, the best bet is to leave the header stock. After speaking to virtually all the major pipe manufacturers, I was told that unless you were doing some major engine modifications, you can't improve on it. Save a little money and just get some cans. In addition, you might want to stay away from Carbon/Kevlar Blend cans. As twins tend to produce more heat than an inline four, the expansion and contraction of the non-metallic wrapping is magnified. Furthermore, carbon fiber and kevlar react opposite under heated conditions, with one contracting and one expanding. I have personally seen bad results (cracking, warping, peeling) on cans made of this combo.

Sound-wise, I have heard the bike with Yoshi's, Two Bros., D & D, Jardine, Moriwaki and MiG's. I took the MiG high-mounts because IMHO they looked the best, but the Two Bros. sounded the best. I live at 4300' elevation and I didn't have to rejet.

According to the local dealer, who also sponsors a VTR racer, you can often get away without the rejet. I've ridden at sea level and all I had to do was adjust the idle down a bit. I guess the giant carbs are a little more forgiving. At the most, you will have to shim your needle a tiny bit. I suggest riding it first and then see if you need to rejet. Good Luck.

------------------
Keep the rubber side down!...STC

[This message has been edited by VTRPilot (edited June 25, 2000).]
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2000, 03:04 AM
Pete

Thumbs up

Hey Dave, man I wondered where you had been, and now you come back in with a helluva splash! Congrats on getting a new bike!

Good advice for ya so far, so all I will add is my humble opinion in the looks category - go for high mount pipes. I saw a VTR the other day with high mount Staintune (polished stainless) cans, and it looked soooo sweet. And they sounded great, too. Probably not as loud as some of the D&D and Yoshi pipes I have heard on various twins, but pretty loud and throaty.

------------------
Pete
-Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2000, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

Hey pete! Yeah, finallt passing the Seca II on to another new rider to learn with, and am going to step up to a REAL bike... LOL

Dave

------------------
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 06:29 PM

Wise choice young grasshumper. Wait till you drive by a group of Fat Boys on the way to your girls house. You will scare the tattoo's right off ther ass's...

Great choice. On pipes I wen't with TB Carbon series oval's they sound great and don't give off much heat. I would recomend high mounts for looks. Or see if Devil of Black widow makes some underseat cans for it yet. If they did you would be one of the first. But if your looking for cheapness factor stay with aluminum.

Harrynuts

Corbin
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 08:22 AM

Smile VTR Mods

Dave, Congratulations on you VTR purchase. It appeares that you are on the right track with you wanting to change your pipe set up. I have Yoshis on mine and it needed to be rejetted because it was too lean. Also you may consider removing the PAIR junk (pollution stuff) off of the bike because this will cause it to pop on deceleration, sounding lean. It also appears to run cooler with this stuff removed.
A very good source for ideas and mods for the VTR is www.micapeak.com then go to the registries. It seems that the VTR registry is the largest one, so there are plenty of ideas to be had!

Tony Lopez

98 VTR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode