Frame Sliders - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Frame Sliders

Ok im lost, so please help a lil puppy out.

i recently orderd some protek frame sliders from bikebandit.com and they emailed me saying there discontinued (well take them off your fucking website) but thats ok, the thing is i need some frame sliders but i dont know wtf to get. those pro tek ones looked prefect and just like the ones i have on there now.

i dont want anything fancy (lights etc) i would like blue can u please hook it up with some links. some of the ones i see are all ball-like, or curvy etc, i just need regular cylynder looking frame sliders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

my friend said to get these

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...-59-VR-11.html

i guess the 2 piece part was scarying me off but do these look right?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Honda Moderator

I use Sato frame sliders, they are made from Delrin with a very low friction coefficient. http://www.kyleusa.com/catalog/index.htm

LSL are probably the best, but they are also very expensive &
replacement parts for them are not always easy to come by either...

Yoshimura sliders are absolute crap, Intuitive are not much better,
kind of bottom of the barrel, but since they were really the first name in the slider business they are very popular with owners that don't know any better.

As a side note I don't use frame sliders on my Honda's. The frame mounts on most Honda's are very low in the chassis & typically they cause a roll-over onto the tank, but ANYTIME you crash it is like rolling the dice as you never know what is really going to happen. I've seen bikes with sliders come to a stop after an 80mph get off with hardly a scratch while an RC51 with frame sliders dropped at 35mph caught the edge of the grass with the slider & flipped twice... Ya just never know.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 10:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to SepiasSoul
I had the same problem with kneedraggers and the pro-tek sliders for my bike. I ended up talking to my mechanic, who also deals in parts, and he ordered them for me. My one warning with pro-tek sliders is to ALWAYS REPLACE THE BOLT they come with. Get a grade 12 steel bolt. They ship with an aluminum or very weak steel bolt, which when I torqued to spec onto my frame decided to snap off, so now I have 1/3 of a bolt filling the threading on my bike. I've got a way around it, but just replace the bolt is what I'm getting at

Sepias

Protect yourselves! The squirrels are plotting to steal our nuts!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

that website you gave doesnt have anything related to framesliders for my bike its like all 02 and up and mines an 01. im thinking about getting the votex one he said. have you heard bad things about them?

also 2 unrelated questions. what is a power commander? and what is a triple tree

thanks
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Honda Moderator

The triple tree is the clamp that attaches to the top & bottom of the steering stem to hold the forks in place. The aftermarket runs will run about $400-$1500 depending on how much adjustability you want designed into them. The top of the line models will be adjustable for both offset & rake.

The Powercommander is a unit we use to tune the Fuel Injection. ANY Fuel Injected bike will benefit from the addition of the Powercommander even if you are running the stock exhaust as it allows for better throttle response & more linear power delivery throughout the entire rev range

http://www.rogueracing.org/pc3.htm
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Duckhunter
I use Sato frame sliders, they are made from Delrin with a very low friction coefficient. http://www.kyleusa.com/catalog/index.htm

Intuitive are not much better,
kind of bottom of the barrel, but since they were really the first name in the slider business they are very popular with owners that don't know any better.

As a side note I don't use frame sliders on my Honda's. The frame mounts on most Honda's are very low in the chassis & typically they cause a roll-over onto the tank, but ANYTIME you crash it is like rolling the dice as you never know what is really going to happen. I've seen bikes with sliders come to a stop after an 80mph get off with hardly a scratch while an RC51 with frame sliders dropped at 35mph caught the edge of the grass with the slider & flipped twice... Ya just never know.
Admittingly, I went by what most riders said they use Intituitive for track days and amateur road racing, and picked up two sets of frame sliders, 1 set of swing arm, and 1 set of bar end for two bikes. One (SV) bike had a low speed fall, but the slider saved the bike from being scratch, no big deal. However, when I highsided my F4 at about 30-35 mph on concrete, luckily the bike didn't flip after initial fall, and the slider just slid nicely on the pavement until it reached grassy and muddy area, where the slider sort of dug in helped it stop gently. The bolt didn't break, the delrin puck is little grated now obviously, but over all, it saved the plastics. Still, there were minor scratch on the tail cowl, but not a scratch on the tank. So I am not sure if they changed the engine mounts on the new RRs, but the engine mounts on F4 looks pretty low enough on the chasis. As with riding, it's always that gamble of receiving injury or bike being wrecked in a fall, but in this case, if the sliders weren't there, my bike would've been totaled on the left side.

It's also nice to have for all those times when bikes just fall of inadvertantly from stand still or low speed.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 05:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to sodamninsane
i use OES accessories... tried and true I know a couple of guys that have wrecked on em... I lowsided my bike about a month ago and the slider bolt bent but didn't break... I have since replaced both the slider and the bolt (20 bucks total)... had some rash on the tail, but there swing arm sliders saved my bike from having a scratch on either the frame or the swing arm... The only things that got damaged were the left lower (little rash, cracked tab, not broken) and the tail... it was all fixed and now I have some nice black lowers :-D...

www.oesaccessories.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 CBR 600RR
-- OES Frame And Swing Arm Sliders
-- Speedzilla Signal Mirrors
-- DIY F/E
-- DIY Carbon Fiber Block off plates (Front signals and mirrors)
-- Stomp Grip Tank pad
-- GPR Damper
-- SS Braided lines w/ super blue fluid
-- G-Craft rear ressy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 05:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to bass boss
Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
I had the same problem with kneedraggers and the pro-tek sliders for my bike. I ended up talking to my mechanic, who also deals in parts, and he ordered them for me. My one warning with pro-tek sliders is to ALWAYS REPLACE THE BOLT they come with. Get a grade 12 steel bolt. They ship with an aluminum or very weak steel bolt, which when I torqued to spec onto my frame decided to snap off, so now I have 1/3 of a bolt filling the threading on my bike. I've got a way around it, but just replace the bolt is what I'm getting at

Sepias
Can you buy a grade 12 steel bolt from the hardware store, or is it a special order?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode