Ramming gears and fuel grade? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Ramming gears and fuel grade?

Hey guys just 2 quick questions.

For my '06 CBR600RR is it ok to ram the gears without the clutch? Such as when I'm wheeling.

It says in my manual that "any gasoline that has a pump octane number of 86 or higher." Should I only put 87 in or is 89 and 93 OK to put in? If 89 and 93 are OK, would it even benefit me or am I wasting money?

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Also, do any of you have one of those devices on your bike that tells you your current gear? Always thought those would be helpful.

Last edited by TMH213; 04-27-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 04:24 AM

lets see its a 2006 rr and you want to start off by wheeling and ramming gears. lol. the only way to effectivley ram gears is to match road speed with rotating shaft speed if your doing wheelies might be hard to do.

gas thing is a big discusion doesnt matter i have an 01f4i and i use 89 always it says 86 or better i just like using 89.

i dont have somthing that tells me what gear im in........its pretty easy to remember
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 04:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to SepiasSoul
I'm not big on not using the clutch, I figure its there for a reason. As for gas, there are several posts about the difference between the grades. It your manual says it can run on 86 or better, then put in 86 or higher. I only run 93 in mine, but thats simple a personal prefforence in that I'm willing to pay the extra 20 cents to make sure its running at its best. The power difference isn't anything grand between grades. I run 103 oct every now and then to help clean the carbs a bit and can feel a little difference but not enough to make any vast improvements.

Sepias

Protect yourselves! The squirrels are plotting to steal our nuts!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 05:42 AM
Honda Moderator

An article I did on Fuel grades: www.rc51.org/fuel.htm

Everything you want to know about shifting:
http://www.vf750fd.com/blurbs/shifting.html
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 05:51 AM

So your against engine cleaners like SeaFoam, which according to the label, can be run through bikes as well? I have run it through my bike with substantial RPM gains at idle, and not seen any long term affects, but I'm curious since you have more experience on the subject matter.

Sepias

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 06:00 AM
Honda Moderator

I haven't used Seafoam so I cannot comment directly, but telling the general public it is ok to use some additives, but not others is a moot point. There are many additives that will cause long term & costly problems with the fuel system on a bike & when dealing with the masses I've learned they cannot grasp details. So it's kind of an all or none philosophy & I simply state not to use any additives.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SkinnyJ
lets see its a 2006 rr and you want to start off by wheeling and ramming gears. lol. the only way to effectivley ram gears is to match road speed with rotating shaft speed if your doing wheelies might be hard to do.

gas thing is a big discusion doesnt matter i have an 01f4i and i use 89 always it says 86 or better i just like using 89.

i dont have somthing that tells me what gear im in........its pretty easy to remember
Lol well it's not like I never did wheelies before. I did them plenty on my SV and I've already done them a lot on my CBR I just never rammed gears because I wasn't sure about hurting the transmission

Thanks for the help guys.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Duckhunter
I haven't used Seafoam so I cannot comment directly, but telling the general public it is ok to use some additives, but not others is a moot point. There are many additives that will cause long term & costly problems with the fuel system on a bike & when dealing with the masses I've learned they cannot grasp details. So it's kind of an all or none philosophy & I simply state not to use any additives.
Sorry for hijacking BTW. I've tried a couple different additives, and agree that generally they suck in a bike. I had one that even when mixed properly with the gas prevented the engine from starting(Lucas carb cleaner). SeaFoam runs through the vacume lines or gas and seems to act more like a lube than anything, but that might just be me. If you ever do more fuel additve tests, you should toss it on the list. I'd love to see what your findings on it are.

Sepias

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 09:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to slick1537
I did quite a bit of research before moving to 87 for my bike. I used to put 91 in it but then I read around the internet and found you will not get any power increase whatso ever by putting a higher grade fuel in. If your manual says 87, then 87 is fine unless you get ping or knock, then try a higher grade. I also saw an interesting post that someone who only ran 91 in their bike had massive carbon build up in his pistons and cylinder walls from it. He said you couldnt even see the groves in the pistons there was so much carbon on it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
So your against engine cleaners like SeaFoam, which according to the label, can be run through bikes as well? I have run it through my bike with substantial RPM gains at idle, and not seen any long term affects, but I'm curious since you have more experience on the subject matter.

Sepias
seafoam on the bike is ok??? sweet i use this in my cars from time to time i love the shit. didnt think about using it for the bike, but its ok?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode