Sportbike World banner

My 919 isn't starting, WTF?

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Smitty 
#1 ·
Ok, here's the problem. Last weekend I did the taillight integrator mod (not clearalternatives, the trailer hitch one), the bafflectomy, and flapper disconnect. After doing the tail and flapper, bike ran great. Then I did the bafflectomy and the bike started for 3 seconds and turned off. Confused, I tried charging it. Next day I plug it back in and try to start the bike. I hear the started motor going then a backfire like pop or two and it doesn't start. So I take battery to dealership to have them charge/check it. They confirm it's got a few bad cells, which doesn't suprise me because I had a similar problem where my bike wouldn't start because of the battery a few months back (bike was a new 04 leftover and had been sitting for a while). Today I borrowed my friend's battery and tried to start it only to have it do the backfire thing again. So I took off the rear cowl and checked my wiring for the tail only to find nothing....checked the fuses to find nothing...any thoughts on WTF is wrong with my bike? It only has 1400 miles on it too.... PLEASE HELP!

#2 ·
First & foremost did you plug the flapper line after you disconnected it?

You probably have one loose wire that is grounding out on the frame or something. I would closely check your work on the integrator etc... If you have PCIII double check that the wires from it are secure especially the one single power wire tapped off the rear light

This is why I don't bother to make silly mods to my bikes anymore. I leave the stock turn signals & fenders & crap on the bike & concentrate on mods that actually increase the performance instead of just look cool....

#3 ·
can you explain what "the bafflectomy, and flapper disconnect" are?
Sounds like a wiring problem. If the engine turns over then battery is fine...

#12 ·
Believe me when it comes to LDH I would not want to quibble with what he says or some of the things he has done. Also never try to convince LDH that a K&N air filter is the answer for your bike.

I feel LDH & I have bumped into each other, on the board, for some yrs now. Also you should see some of the photos of his bikes. Still we had a bit of fun accusing him of some purple bolts on a bike some yrs back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.