Purchasing the '06 600RR - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Purchasing the '06 600RR

Hi there,
I am looking at purchasing my first sport bike. I have loved the 600RR for a while now. I am planning on buying the 600RR in the next few months when they come in. My question revolves around the fact that I have never ridden a sport bike, and to be honest am wondering if I will like this bike? I currently have a honda magna which is cool and all, but I have long yearned to own/ride a sport bike. Im curious if anyone has any tips, thoughts, suggestions on what direction I should go. Also, whats the best way to try one out? Whats the deal with NO dealer letting you test ride? (I was even offered a rune before a sport bike. wtf?) Im looking at 600's and understand that the RR has that modern 'extreme' riding style along with a hard seat, but still, when I see it all I want to do is ride it. In your opinion, would i like this bike?
Thanks for any and all help answering my questions!
-George.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 06:27 PM

I really cannot say for I grew up in another time of where we modified our street bikes for dirt comp & road racing plus modifying the regular street irons with some road racing ideas & so I was building what later on was called Cafe Racers well before choppers even come into some forms of existance.

So naturally when real dirt comp bikes & real road racing bikes were avaliable then I jumped for them.

Mind you the cafe racer is the birth of the sportbikes so it will depend upon you & if you can ride the bike sensibly for they are very touchy bastards to ride & certainly not a forgiving bike when it comes to riding them.

These are bikes with peaky engines, & probably the most extreme set of anchors you will find on any bike. So you have to ride with caution at first realizing they are SO different.

They are not, to most, a bike for any distance riding & lousy handeling around town-------they are replicas of road racing bikes. Reason for the extreme lean forward riding position, short stubby clip-on bars, footrests way to the back & up close to your butt, well leaned forward riding position that some simply cannot stand.

The hard riding position is for racing & so is the saddle. Others will look at my Honda 929 or 954 & say "you should get a custom made seat & not be riding on that plank" but then I ride a sportbike & my butt is not glued on the saddle for it is my legs, thighs, abs, back, shoulders & arms that stop me from trying to ride a bike with most of my weight on my spine. So yes some of us can cover long rides on the sportbikes. Personally I have been retired some yrs & spend most of my riding days clocking 4 to 8 hrs of riding & not grunt (small runs like around town) runs.

So it is up to you. You have to make up your own mind, but remember if you drop a sportbike at around 50mph the cost of parts & especially the plastic will come up to around half the cost of the bike, if you were lucky enough not to find the frame has been bent & then all the hours you will have to put in rebuilding the bike.

Ride the bike sensibly & if you like it then you will enjoy that form of riding & believe me I speak with some years of experience.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Last edited by Smitty; 10-19-2005 at 06:31 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 06:41 PM

None of your friends have sport bikes you could try?

What is it you're concerned about not liking? If you can't find a test drive anywhere, guess the best thing you can do is go to the dealer and sit on the bike for a while...at least a half an hour so you get a feel for the seating position.

Smitty summed up what riding a sportbike is all about: cramped, aggressive, ect. Also can be very rewarding.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

unfortunately, none of my friends own sport bikes.
I'm gonna look around see if anyone will give me a chance to ride this bike. even if it means putting down a deposit or something. I know i want the bike, but who wouldnt want to ride a bike before they dump 8 grand down on it?
Thanks for the suggestions!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

I think the only thing im "scared" of is the fact that I may not like the way sport bikes ride. I've read alot of cases stating, "well
when you dump your bike...." and "sooner or later you are going to fall." Things like this are not cool to me. I've never had the mentality of if/when im gonna fall or crash. I know its a possiblity always, but come on, wheres the optomistic outlook on life?
Will I have serious problems adjusting to this type of bike and this style of riding?
I think I can do it with time and patience.
Thanks again.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 02:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to izzybo69
Well, the whole mentality of "when" not if your gonna crash comes from the agressive riding style of sport bikes.

Sure you can own a sport bike for ever without ever laying it down, and since you have a bike now, the chances of you never crashing are good.

But the whole reason for wanting a sportbike, is the agressiveness, and if you start riding it agressively, pushing the bike to its limits,(wich is what its designed for) then the chances of a get off,(crash, fall, etc) are greatly improved. and yes the majority of people who ride sportbikes agressively will go down at some point in their life, the harder you push it, the more likely.

Their are few people who buy sportbikes just to cruise on, but some do buy an uncomfortable, cramped seated, agressive sport bike just for the looks, and just cruise.

I may not know everything about somethings, but i know something about everything!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 04:20 PM

You can have an accident with any m/c you ride ONLY the more agressive demands by a sportbike are what will lead you to pranging (crashing) the bike.

My '97 Yamaha YZF 600r was doing great until Sept of '03 when I was riding to fast on some tough twisties, hit some sand/gravel & a bad one that came close to 1/2 the cost of a new bike, but to trim said costs down I simply ignored some things & touched up others to be acceptable YET the frame, forks & such suffered none.

My '00 Honda 929 was hit from behind, within the first week of buying it, as I was about to stop at a red light only some twit to my right decided to cut in front of me to beat the orange/red light to get off to the left street at said intersection, so stopping a bit sooner for me only the chap behind me did not & though down he hiked it off, so a hit & run. Still damages were very small.

I keep on saying "tap wood" for my '03 Honda 954 purchased new in August '04 has not gone down yet.

Mind you I do have 59 yrs of riding experience which includes 42 yrs of basically most forms of dirt comp & some yrs of road racing PLUS Cafe Racers were my thing (for your interest they were the birth of sportbikes as far back as '48) & so were the latest in sportbikes.

So it can happen & it might not for it will be up to you & the others on the road at the same time----latter has a lot to say about you staying upright & alive.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Can anyone who has bought a bike new tell me what I should expect price wise with buying an '06 RR? Should I expect the dealers to be asking for MSRP, or will they be dealing? I'm looking to buy over the winter/off season....say February. I'm really hoping to get this bike down to at least $8000. Any experiences you have from purchasing your bike new would be helpful. Thanks all.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 08:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to KuRbKid21
wuss good man... my brother just bought a brand new 2005 600 rr and to say the least he's loved it. I have a rc51 (1000) and love borrowing his bike; its light, fast and fun to ride in the back roads. Price range we got it out the dealership at 9200 real good deal and he makes payments at 500 a month. He's 19 and works for it so its not to hard for him. Like the other guys said u should prob. try lookin at other bikes cheaper cuz every riders bound to go down once in their life.... ive gone down twice, my brother once (on my bike) so try not to buy a brand new bike as ur first one.

stay up good luck

600rr i give it

STaYin LoW anD AbOve tHe RadaR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode